Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Disappointing on Blackwell. Doesn’t sound like they’re going to get something done. If I had to guess, they’re offering an AHL deal and he wants an NHL deal.

Sexton confirmed they’re going to sign an experienced, veteran goalie. The list is pretty short league wide for free agents.

Mike McKenna
Jared Coreau
Tom McCollum
Dustin Tokarski
Christopher Gibson
Eddie Lack

There’s really not much via free agency, though I’d be happy with Coreau or McKenna. Maybe they’re looking at a trade.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Did anyone listen to the Instigators today? I heard from someone they were speculating about the Sabres being interested in Andrew Hammond for the Amerks. Certainly hoping not. He’s been awful in the AHL for multiple seasons.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Did anyone listen to the Instigators today? I heard from someone they were speculating about the Sabres being interested in Andrew Hammond for the Amerks. Certainly hoping not. He’s been awful in the AHL for multiple seasons.

I think buffalo is looking for an nhl experienced goalie who will play in Rochester that can be used for injury call ups.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Wedgewood to be Rochester's starter next season. Meh.
Not a fan. Better goalies available. Couple that with Blackwell likely leaving and Sexton tempering expectations with 1 and maybe 2 forwards signings, a little disappointed. And if the forward signing just ends up being Sislo, I won’t be happy about it at all.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Not a fan. Better goalies available. Couple that with Blackwell likely leaving and Sexton tempering expectations with 1 and maybe 2 forwards signings, a little disappointed. And if the forward signing just ends up being Sislo, I won’t be happy about it at all.
I’m not saying it’s right or true, but could it be because they are getting deeper in the NHL and able to keep some of better Sabres prospects in the minors longer?

The Amerks should be adding Olofsson, Asplund, Pu, Pilut, Oglevie and keeping most of Smith, Nylander, Guhle, etc... Some may make the pros or at least get call ups, but is that possibly why they aren’t adding a whole lot of free agents?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I’m not saying it’s right or true, but could it be because they are getting deeper in the NHL and able to keep some of better Sabres prospects in the minors longer?

The Amerks should be adding Olofsson, Asplund, Pu, Pilut, Oglevie and keeping most of Smith, Nylander, Guhle, etc... Some may make the pros or at least get call ups, but is that possibly why they aren’t adding a whole lot of free agents?
That’s definitely why. But this organization always has injury issues so I’m very interested in having the depth necessary to withstand it. Mainly I just want a top 6 winger who can put the puck in the net. They had no one last season to count on for a goal. Basically an entire team of players who are 2nd or 3rd liners with a few exceptions.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
That’s definitely why. But this organization always has injury issues so I’m very interested in having the depth necessary to withstand it. Mainly I just want a top 6 winger who can put the puck in the net. They had no one last season to count on for a goal. Basically an entire team of players who are 2nd or 3rd liners with a few exceptions.

I wanted to see blackwell + a solid top six scoring forward. The thing is, if players like olfsson, asplund, nylander, or pilut do well in the first half of the season, they may get called up and not sent back down.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Just curious as I didn't watch any Rochester this year, do people really think Blackwell is a possible NHLer to get a nhl contract versus an AHL deal which is what I'm assuming they are trying to offer him?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Proven scorers. Nylander stinks, don’t even try selling me on him. I think the team is well on their way and I like the roster overall, but they need a veteran top 6 winger.
Thompson was 0.5 PPG rushed into the AHL. He still hasn't even fit into his body yet. You've got one solid piece there.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Proven scorers. Nylander stinks, don’t even try selling me on him. I think the team is well on their way and I like the roster overall, but they need a veteran top 6 winger.
Sobotka will likely play for Rochester by the end of the year. That's a nice veteran player for you.

Olofsson+Pilut on the powerplay will mean loads of goals. Pilut is pretty much an extra forward with some defensive responsibilities.

Olofsson has played really well in the playoffs as well as relegation games. It's kind of hard to explain the pressure of a relegation series, if you lose a lot of people you know will lose their jobs - teams can't keep staff that might have been working for the organization for 10 or 20 years. A large population of the town will take a hit since the success of the team is part of their identity and now you donät know when you'll be competing for a championship again. There's no draft to help you turn things around.

The worst thing is that many teams never make it back, you can play in the first division for a decade or two and then end up in oblivion after relegation. Olofsson was the only one performing well in that situation on his dysfunctional team. He needs time to adjust to NA, but he has a lot of experience even though he's young.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Hey. Quick question, has Griffith played center at all for the Amerks last season? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad