Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But why? I guess it goes with the efficiency model. Good on him for getting a deal.

My guess is that he is going to be the AHL-ECHL goalie in the system. He might back up JJ in Rochester until they think that UPL & JJ splitting time in Rochester is the right call.

And he's cheaper than a guy like Hammond.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Looking for info on some guys who made their debut last season...

Rasmus Asplund
Jonas Johansson

What kind of players are they and what kind of NHL future do they have?

Thanks!

Asplund -- Has always been a 3rd/4th line type of prospect. Hard worker. Limited offensive upside in the NHL. His development has been a bit slow. Might compete for a spot out of camp this year, but it's fair to wonder if he's a "AAAA" player.

Johansson -- Another slow developer, but he's still developing. Probably maxes out as a solid NHL backup or very good AHL starter, but he just keeps raising his level every level he plays. There is an outside chance he can be a 1B-type if he keeps doing what he's done in the past.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

Never heard of him or saw him play and know nothing about the team/program/system he played for. But that +/- , holy smokes! Worst on the team twice, second worst once, third worst once. Combined -58 over 4 years. That -32 in 18/19 certainly stands out. I know the shortcomings of this stat but wow.

In my line of work we would say that this particular result presents an opportunity for improvement.

Reactions: Steddy33

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Never heard of him or saw him play and know nothing about the team/program/system he played for. But that +/- , holy smokes! Worst on the team twice, second worst once, third worst once. Combined -58 over 4 years. That -32 in 18/19 certainly stands out. I know the shortcomings of this stat but wow.

In my line of work we would say that this particular result presents an opportunity for improvement.
He played on some awful teams.
Crown Point native Ryan Jones takes unorthodox journey to AHL's Rochester Americans
If he puts on the foil he'll be a fan favorite. He was probably signed to replace MacWilliam.

Jones is known as a “physical” or “heavy” hockey player, an enforcer. He’s not a goal scorer, rather a traditional stay-at-home defenseman who can play with an edge sharper than the blades of his skates.
“Some people say I like to jump into all the crap and play mean, I guess would be the simplest way to put it,” Jones said.
Accurate?
“Oh yeah,” Jones said. “Oh yeah. I can start stuff and then I can also defend myself and my teammates whenever they need it.”

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Here's a Press Release from the Cyclones
Cyclones Season Delayed To January 15 With Announcement Of Split-Season Format
PRINCETON, N.J. –The ECHL, in conjunction with the Professional Hockey Players’ Association, announced today that the 2020-21 Season will commence on December 11, 2020 under a split-season format.

Under the split-season guidelines, the Cincinnati Cyclones now plan to start their season on January 15, 2021. The following teams will begin a 72-game season on December 11 – Allen, Florida, Greenville, Indy, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Orlando, Rapid City, South Carolina, Tulsa, Utah, Wheeling and Wichita.

Additionally, remaining ECHL teams, including Cincinnati, will begin their Season on January 15, 2021, competing in a 62-game season upon jurisdictional approval.
The Atlanta Gladiators have elected a Voluntary Suspension for the 2020-21 Season due to COVID-19 restrictions, returning to play in the 2021-22 Season. All Atlanta Gladiators Players are immediately Free Agents for the 2020-21 Season.

“The ECHL is excited to be able to confirm the beginning of the 2020-21 Season by working with our local health officials and the PHPA to develop protocols for the safe return of our Players, fans, and employees,” said ECHL Commissioner Ryan Crelin. “The ECHL is getting back to hockey, as we all work together to bring live entertainment back to our communities.”
“Our ECHL Members have been looking forward to getting back on the ice since March 16, and providing the fans with exciting hockey in a safe environment,” said PHPA Executive Director Larry Landon. “I would like to thank Ryan Crelin, the ECHL Board of Governors and the commitment from our Return to Play Committee including Jake Flegel, Josh Holmstrom, Steven Kaunisto, Justin Taylor and Riley Weselowski.”
The ECHL regular season will conclude on June 6, 2021. A schedule for games from December 11, 2020 - January 14, 2021 will be announced in the near future.
Under this split-season scenario, League standings will be based on winning percentage during the regular season. The post-season format will be based on the eligible competing teams in the regular season and will be announced at a later date.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The big news is the Cyclones signed Taylor Crunk (G). He has a Federal League* name and he's that kind of player.
G is for Goon, he's a forward

Other Cyclones signings
Team News - Cincinnati Cyclones
Eric Williams D
Cris Tane and Jack Tackatt - this pair of forwards are hometown guys
Mason Mitchell F
Sean Giles D
Jack Van Boekel D - a defenseman with giraffe tendencies and Federal League* potential
Van Boekel enters his first pro-season after completing a three-year stint at the University of Windsor. During his time at Windsor, the 6’7” 225-pound defender compiled 222 penalty minutes and seven points over 55 games for the Lancers.
Connor Schmidt D

* The toughest team in the Federal League!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad