Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If someone is so worried about their special needs children they probably shouldn't go into a career field with zero job security. I can emphasize with him over the shock of being fired but the woe is me self-flagellation is ludicrous

Reading the article, that isn't the takeaway that I took from it at all.

And given our current situation, so many career fields that people expect to have job security suddenly don't.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
'Everything has to be earned': Rookie GM Kevyn Adams knows...

Why overhaul Rochester, though, seemingly one of the organization’s bright spots?

It’s really important to emphasize that this wasn’t Chris Taylor and his coaching staff. They’re very good. It’s more about how we want to run the Rochester Americans, ultimately, and it may take some time based on the contract situation. But, you know, I really believe that for us to develop players to become Buffalo Sabres, we need to make sure they’re getting the ice time and they’re being put in a position to where they’re pushed and challenged. We just wanted to make sure that we move forward with that mindset.

The problem I have with that answer is that Adams never talked to Taylor before letting him go.

This situation seems to me to be simply about saving money in the event that the AHL is on hold for a long time due to COVID. I wish he would have just said that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While I feel bad for Sabre fans, I feel worse for Amerk fans. At least the War Memorial is getting some renovations this summer... but man, this franchise has a lot to prove and loyalty is not one of the things they have on their side any longer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While I feel bad for Sabre fans, I feel worse for Amerk fans. At least the War Memorial is getting some renovations this summer... but man, this franchise has a lot to prove and loyalty is not one of the things they have on their side any longer.

The other thing for Rochester that sticks out to me is that with the change in direction to "leaning things out", I am going to bet that the direction of investing a lot in AHL vets to try and create a competitive team and having the prospects learn in a winning environment may be a thing of the past.

We may see the Amerks have a bottom third of the AHL player payroll budget moving forward.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That was in part because of the Sabres' garbage forward depth and massive surplus of d-men that Botts did **** all to correct

Yep, ties back to my comments last off-season -- they only have so many development cycles and minutes for players. At least Taylor got Fitz onto the ice a bit, but the roster imbalance? Unreal how it was at both levels and how hampered both teams were at finding depth scoring. And goaltending.

I would assume this becomes a team of ECHL try-hards and some draftees, but I can't see them offering up the 1-way, high-pay positions they did for a bunch of them. Redmond's departure may have been an early indicator of the direction to come.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He blew the 2 most important Nylander and Guhle

I like Fitzgerald more than most amd Taylor played him at friggin forward for at least a few games
You’re seriously getting on Taylor over Nylander? The self entitled lazy brat whose daddy helped leverage him into the AHL when he wasn’t ready. What a wasted pick that was.

As for Guhle, he is what he is. A fantastic skater with little else in the tool box. Its why he hasn’t been able to crack the Ducks lineup outside of injury call ups.

Fitzgerald’s situation was an extension of Botts stupidity with the overflow of dmen. It was a numbers game. Maybe thats one of the things rectified with the new set up.

You seem seem to have misplaced anger towards Taylor. I don’t really care about him one way or the other. But if you want to be angry, be angry with the 2 previous GMs. One for his drafting and the other for his horrible roster management.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Belleville Senators with a payroll between $3M and $4M including players, coaches, training staff and front office staff should be the model.
They did it by acquiring honest to God legit NHL prospects (something this organization just refused to do with the mindnumbingly stupid policy of targeting low ceiling guys who top out as useful cogs. This is a great idea when you have the best player of the past quarter century and another guy who if he wasn't Russian would be talked about as a legit top 25 players of all time candidate and you can just plug in the spare parts. When you don't have that it's beyond stupid). Poor Chris Taylor can't just wave a magic wand and make actual NHL prospects appear.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
You’re seriously getting on Taylor over Nylander? The self entitled lazy brat whose daddy helped leverage him into the AHL when he wasn’t ready. What a wasted pick that was.

As for Guhle, he is what he is. A fantastic skater with little else in the tool box. Its why he hasn’t been able to crack the Ducks lineup outside of injury call ups.

Fitzgerald’s situation was an extension of Botts stupidity with the overflow of dmen. It was a numbers game. Maybe thats one of the things rectified with the new set up.

You seem seem to have misplaced anger towards Taylor. I don’t really care about him one way or the other. But if you want to be angry, be angry with the 2 previous GMs. One for his drafting and the other for his horrible roster management.

Bailey put up 28 goals this year after 2 bad years under Taylor

Im not angry at Taylor, Im angry at ALL OF THEM

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And what was he supposed to talk to him for an hour? He still had to call about thirty employees to tell them about the dismissal. It's like in the "Moneyball" movie, you say that you were traded and that’s it.

Reactions: jc17

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Burning questions for next season with heads of the AHL,...

When do you expect to start next season?

Andrews: We don’t know. We are in a very uncertain time and the return to play plan for our league could take many different shapes. We have been contingency planning for some time. We’re building schedules for a regular season that starts in October, but we’re also building models to start in November, December or January before we have the go-ahead from public health authorities. We’ve done a lot of research in terms of understanding (what team’s) financial models would be and under what financial conditions they would be able to play.

Syracuse’s owner mentioned the AHL restart may need to be tied to the NHL’s start date for next season. Is that what you are considering?

Andrews: Our start doesn’t have to be tied to the NHL’s start date. It depends obviously when they start. Our ownership and leadership are split as to whether we have to start at the exact same time as the NHL if we were permitted to play in most of our cities.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How Sabres GM Kevyn Adams could impact player development in Rochester
“I want Ralph (Krueger) to be very involved in the coaching search and how that works together with Rochester and Buffalo. Ultimately, it’s about developing prospects to become Buffalo Sabre players.”

Adam Mair and Matt Thomas (Cincinatti Cyclones) are mentioned as possible candidates. Mair's never been a head coach at any level making him the favorite. :sarcasm:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Any of you has seen Tobie Bisson and Pascal Aquin play? They mostly played for the Cyclones, but had a few games with Rochester in the last two years. They just signed with the Laval Rocket, so I was looking for some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->