Rochester Americans and Jacksonville Icemen 2023-2024 PLAYOFF Thread; Game 5 - 7:00 pm EDT, May 10th

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
What the heck happened? I left during the 2nd intermission down 3-0 to help my daughter who has friends over, and when I come back I find them tied in OT. Then, just as I get the volume up to tune in again we score the winner. That was insane.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
6 days between a game 4 and game 5?

This league is less serious than the NHL!

do the playoffs last until august or something?
I get your point, and I'm on your side. However, I believe there are couple of things at play for which I have some sympathy.

The least sympathy I have is for the large playoff fields, which skew playoff schedules across all divisions (see Cleveland and Belleville, who will play Game Three on Tuesday night). I believe one reason so many AHL teams qualify is that NHL teams want their prospects getting a taste of playoff hockey (see Devon Levi).

It all adds up to a big mess schedule-wise until the divisional quarterfinal and semifinal rounds conclude. Things will settle into a more normal routine after that.

Were I in charge, only four teams per division would make the playoffs. As much sense as that might make to me and others, AHL teams owners would surely push back for the reason I have the most sympathy -- home games.

Selling tickets is hugely important to AHL teams. I would anticipate/hope a Friday night Game Five draws a minimum of 8K to Blue Cross Arena. That would be a big deal, especially when Game Five looked so unlikely heading into the third period of Game Four.

And if the playoffs do last until August, let's hope our Amerks are still involved. That will make for a fun summer.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad