Rochester Americans: 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
4-20: Amerks GM Randy Sexton on WGR (8:17)

#Amerks general manager Randy Sexton joins Howard Simon right now on WGR!

Sexton - Alex Nylander battled with his injury earlier in the season, but the last 5-6 weeks he's played really well. Looking forward to seeing his play in the playoffs. #Amerks. #Sabres

Sexton - In the playoffs, the play ramps up. It's critical for these players to get this experience. We're pleased to be in the playoffs, and we'll see where things go from here. #Amerks #Sabres

Sexton - we saw a fairly typical adjustment from college to the AHL from Will Borgen. We saw great growth in his game over the past couple of weeks. It was a good, positive first step for him. #Amerks #Sabres

Sexton - C.J. Smith had a strong first half. He worked hard to rehab from his injury, and he's healthy now for the playoffs. He's worked hard on the speed and quickness of the game. We want to bring players along, but we don't want to rush them. #Amerks #Sabres

Sexton - Sean Malone's role at the start of the year was more of a defensive player. He can bring some offense, but you don't make the NHL if you can't play solid defensively. He's gotten better every day. He brings that tough-minded, warrior mentality every day. #Amerks #Sabres

Sexton - Justin Bailey has accepted the coach's challenge of being more of a well-rounded player. Hudson Fasching has really worked on improving his foot speed. #Sabres #Amerks

Sexton - Victor Olofsson and Rasmus Asplund are playing well and are expected to play for Sweden at the World Championship. They're not expected to be here for us in the AHL Playoffs. The first time we expect to see them back in Buffalo is for development camp. #Sabres #Amerks

asplund and olofsson will not play in wc.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that the team has recalled forwards Justin Danforth and Daniel Muzito-Bagenda, defensemen Arvin Atwal and Eric Knodel, and goaltenders Jonas Johansson and Jason Kasdorf from the Cincinnati Cyclones (ECHL).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Here are his final numbers for the series.

Not sure what to expect of him yet other than being in Rochester next season. I think thats when we’ll start to get a better idea what we have.

I have to hope he's pegged as the backup in Rochester next season, and not the starter. I'd like to see the organization bring in a solid tweener like Hutchinson or Berra, who can play in the NHL if needed, to start in Rochester and come up to Buffalo if one of Ullmark and/or the other goaltender - be it Lehner or someone else - falters or gets injured.

I'd have to think we'll be an attractive destination for that type of goaltender, especially if Lehner is non-tendered, given that Ullmark is not proven at the NHL level and the other scraps in the goaltending UFA market.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I have to hope he's pegged as the backup in Rochester next season, and not the starter. I'd like to see the organization bring in a solid tweener like Hutchinson or Berra, who can play in the NHL if needed, to start in Rochester and come up to Buffalo if one of Ullmark and/or the other goaltender - be it Lehner or someone else - falters or gets injured.

I'd have to think we'll be an attractive destination for that type of goaltender, especially if Lehner is non-tendered, given that Ullmark is not proven at the NHL level and the other scraps in the goaltending UFA market.
Even as a backup he’d be questionable. But I accept it’s a good possibility. The Sabres definitely need a 3rd goalie who can play in the NHL if necessary. Hutchinson will be at the top of my list this summer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well... they went out with a whimper and did some of the same things they've fallen over themselves doing since Christmas. It wasn't good enough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So goods for the season?

Redmond was really good.
Blackwell deserves a contract.
When healthy, Criscuolo was a good center.
Malone progressed nicely.
Smith had a strong start to the year.
Ullmark finally had good AHL numbers.

Bads would include:

Failures by the skill wingers to improve.
Ullmark flopped terribly.
Taylor doesn't seem capable of coaching defense or structure.
Most of the "feel good" stories for the year are non-Sabre/AHL-vet types and fringe players.
No help, even though help was warranted.
Paetsch being hurt almost all year.
Almost no physical play at all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, i still applaud them for making the playoffs :clap:

Too bad it didn't go as planned. Many fingers to point. Accusations to spew. Some will be inaccurate as all hell. Some will be dead on.

Backed in and got swept. That isn't going to plan in the least.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
So goods for the season?

Redmond was really good.
Blackwell deserves a contract.
When healthy, Criscuolo was a good center.
Malone progressed nicely.
Smith had a strong start to the year.
Ullmark finally had good AHL numbers.

Bads would include:

Failures by the skill wingers to improve.
Ullmark flopped terribly.
Taylor doesn't seem capable of coaching defense or structure.
Most of the "feel good" stories for the year are non-Sabre/AHL-vet types and fringe players.
No help, even though help was warranted.
Paetsch being hurt almost all year.
Almost no physical play at all.

Atwal deserves a shot next year. I'm a sucker for those types of players. I maintain letting dupuy walk was a mistake.

Disappointing end to a promising season.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The season was a massive failure. They had one good month and were awful the rest of the season and obviously collapsed in the playoffs. The players were soft and weak and Taylor didn’t help matters. I’m not going to bother arguing with those who think Amerks fans should be satisfied with making the playoffs, because I’m not and never will be. Everyone failed, from Botterill barely touching the team all season to Taylor’s weak coaching. Syracuse and Tampa showed what a real organization is all about.

Reactions: Fearnot

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
For want of a nail...

It seemed like the season started to unravel when Moses quit. A small event, but it was almost all downhill from there.

Wondering if this was the cause it went downhill or just the first reaction to something else that happened behind closed doors.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The season was a massive failure. They had one good month and were awful the rest of the season and obviously collapsed in the playoffs. The players were soft and weak and Taylor didn’t help matters. I’m not going to bother arguing with those who think Amerks fans should be satisfied with making the playoffs, because I’m not and never will be. Everyone failed, from Botterill barely touching the team all season to Taylor’s weak coaching. Syracuse and Tampa showed what a real organization is all about.
Botterill didn't touch the team? bwahahahahahahaa

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wondering if this was the cause it went downhill or just the first reaction to something else that happened behind closed doors.

Maybe, but it is Moses MO to quit and flee to the KHL. It wasn't the first time he's done it.

Botterill didn't touch the team? bwahahahahahahaa

Standing in for '27 for a moment -- he made one roster move in-season and that was the acquisition of O'Regan in trade. There were items to address from December on that were not addressed and their poor record in the last 4 months is indicative of a team that was not very good and needed help.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Standing in for '27 for a moment -- he made one roster move in-season and that was the acquisition of O'Regan in trade. There were items to address from December on that were not addressed and their poor record in the last 4 months is indicative of a team that was not very good and needed help.

Dropping half a team down from the big league wasn't enough? Maybe all those draft picks from prior GMs were a problem. There's contract rules, hard to fix those.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dropping half a team down from the big league wasn't enough? Maybe all those draft picks from prior GMs were a problem. There's contract rules, hard to fix those.

The problems were before those players went up, so sending them back is just resetting them to the point where they were blowing leads and falling apart in OT which started in December. It was weeks prior to the trickle coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad