Robin Lehner, Thomas Griess predictions/“The Korn Effect”

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lehner has the lowest GAA in the NHL and 2nd highest SV%

To me GAA is always a combination of goalie and team defense. Save percentage is way more indicative of a goalies performance imo. Lehner has played 10 more games than the leader in SV% Campbell and it right begind hiM.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Lehner was always an amazing talent, I am very happy he found a great franchise to hone his craft under. He just looks so calm in the net. At this rate he needs to be resigned.

Staple said something yesterday about much rather having Lehner at 4yrs/$20m as opposed to Bob at 7 years/$60m (my numbers may be off). I will co-sign that too. I don't think we're getting Lehner on a 2 year deal - not after this season. But he probably feels comfortable here and all things equal, would stick with the situation where he made his (apparently) successful lifestyle change as opposed to up and move to a new city and team which may not be as amenable to his situation.

LL and the team know the true story going on so we'll of course have to defer to them as to whether Lehner should be extended but if we could lock in a first rate goalie (which Lehner seems to be) at price far less than what Bob would come for, that's a lot of money we can throw elsewhere.

I don't know what a 4 year deal to Lehner means for bringing over Sorokin though. At this point, Sorokin is just a unicorn to me. Can't really make franchise decisions based on his potential - both for coming over and hockey ability.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Lehner has always been a good goalie. The early hate the move received here was irrational. With his life in order surrounded by a good coaching staff and organization, I'd like him to stick around.

The hate was only because some posters were still pissed about Tavares. Some posters didn't think he was actually a good goaltender and that there were better options out there, but that list has dwindled down by a lot now.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Need a bigger sample size personally. I want to make sure the volatility has completely gone before signing him the big bucks. If we do make the playoffs, that will be a big test for him

Reactions: Capt Obvious

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lehner has always been a good goalie. The early hate the move received here was irrational. With his life in order surrounded by a good coaching staff and organization, I'd like him to stick around.

I think it was because it was another Halak-ish situation, where he had talent but was pretty inconsistent, and with Greiss already here...

Reactions: stranger34

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
eat-crow.jpg

What I'm eating about this Mitch Korn effect.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He was good at times but very inconsistent.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Need a bigger sample size personally. I want to make sure the volatility has completely gone before signing him the big bucks. If we do make the playoffs, that will be a big test for him
Yep. It'll be a big test for the whole team. Which is why making the playoffs this year is a critical part of Lou's first year evaluation. And another reason why dumping UFA's for picks at the deadline is idiotic.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I am not disagreeing, but there is risk going that way as well, as if he continues this play into the playoffs, the pricetag to sign him will likely increase as well.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I want the Islanders to sign all of their RFA's and all of their UFA's ASAP. Not too concerned about the money or term as I just want immediate gratification. That and the comfort of knowing that next year and beyond I can criticize all the signings at a whim and how they are albatross contracts that the teams was suckered into.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
More than Korn effect, I think. Former Cap Grabauer has GAA over 3 and sv% under .900. It is also how the defensive structure allows goalies to react and prepare for shots.

I would call it the professional coaching effect --- from head man through assistants.

nickel7168

Apr 16, 2014
Centreville, VA
I understand that we got a new goalie and new goalie coaches, and that the coaches are excellent and Lehner & Greiss have been excellent. That being said, and that partially accounts for the fewest GA in the NHL, we also are .1 away from allowing the fewest shots on goal per game in the NHL. And that puts our defense in the elite defensive stinginess category. The goalies are facing fewer shot than everyone else as well.
What I'd like to know is how, exactly, does a team accomplish that? What is the defensive system that Trotz is using to limit both shots on goal and good scoring chances. I've been watching NHL for 57 years and I simply can't see how they're doing it, or exactly what they're doing. I'm not an expert on defensive systems but can someone explain it?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I understand that we got a new goalie and new goalie coaches, and that the coaches are excellent and Lehner & Greiss have been excellent. That being said, and that partially accounts for the fewest GA in the NHL, we also are .1 away from allowing the fewest shots on goal per game in the NHL. And that puts our defense in the elite defensive stinginess category. The goalies are facing fewer shot than everyone else as well.
What I'd like to know is how, exactly, does a team accomplish that? What is the defensive system that Trotz is using to limit both shots on goal and good scoring chances. I've been watching NHL for 57 years and I simply can't see how they're doing it, or exactly what they're doing. I'm not an expert on defensive systems but can someone explain it?
PDO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad