Robin Lehner - AHL playoffs MVP

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Honestly, who cares where they choose to rank players? It's a website, not some deity.

I laugh, for example, at the fact Jake Gardiner (smaller, less points, and less skill) is ranked in the top 50 but Patrick Weircioch is not.... Similarly, a team like Ottawa (with several "blue chip" prospects) is ranked as a "below average" team in terms of depth (being 16 of 30). You have to read HF Rankings for their entertainment value - not because you expect to use them for accurate comparison.

In terms of how Markstrom compares to Lehner - both are very good young goalies. Both have starter potential. Beyond that, who knows.

You're obviously an expert, why bother correcting you... but I will for the lulz. Jake Gardiner had a breakout year, was ppg on the wisconsin badgers and was like a +23 or something like that. He also has good size and good in his own end. Not to mention elite speed.

And when did Lehner become on Markstrom's level?

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
From watching ALL of the playoff B-Sens home games..

Lehner
Butler
Cowen
Gryba
K. Dawg
Z. Smith
C. Bass

Where all great impact players.. The main reason Binghamton won the calder cup was because they could play a close match to the Aeros amazing defensive game with Gryba/Cowen/Smith/Bass, etc. While having a vastly superior offense.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
You're obviously an expert, why bother correcting you... but I will for the lulz. Jake Gardiner had a breakout year, was ppg on the wisconsin badgers and was like a +23 or something like that. He also has good size and good in his own end. Not to mention elite speed.

The past 2 years?

Nobody can say Markstrom is ahead of him now, that's for sure.

Bill Muckalt

Aug 24, 2010

The problem with that is that it was his junior year...Patrick Wiercioch was a point per game in his freshman year and was playing in a pro league during his junior year. Not sure how your so called correction did anything here.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Isn't this the guy with attitude problems. Didn't he ***** in the world juniors and there was another thing before aswell.

Personally I think Lehner did very well during the WJC.

The tough loss vs the Russians in the semifinals wasn't his fault. It was a very, very tough loss though since Sweden dominanated big parts of the game, we played great hockey most of the game. This loss is still annoying me, very tough.

Poor coaching if you ask me. One example is Nemeth playing injured and given lots of icetime (Nemeth had huge problems in this game and was -3 I believe).

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Personally I think Lehner did very well during the WJC.

The tough loss vs the Russians in the semifinals wasn't his fault. It was a very, very tough loss though since Sweden dominanated big parts of the game, we played great hockey most of the game. This loss is still annoying me, very tough.

Poor coaching if you ask me. One example is Nemeth playing injured and given lots of icetime (Nemeth had huge problems in this game and was -3 I believe).

Yes, Lehner was quite good during the WJC. The reason why he got pulled for their last game was due to his overreaction to the Russian goal that the refs blew. I gather his coach didn't trust him to get his game back in time. If Lehner drops the ball, he ALWAYS gets back in the game. That is what I have seen.

(If you don't know the goal, look it up)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes, Lehner was quite good during the WJC. The reason why he got pulled for their last game was due to his overreaction to the Russian goal that the refs blew. I gather his coach didn't trust him to get his game back in time. If Lehner drops the ball, he ALWAYS gets back in the game. That is what I have seen.

(If you don't know the goal, look it up)

Swedish coaching during WJC sucked (at least in the semifinals). I'm still upset that he gave a clearly injured Nemeth so much icetime in critical situations. This costed us the game, it was not good for Nemeth (which I like very much) or the Swedish national team.

I had no problem with Lehner's reaction at all and I couldn't care less for the bronze game. But I did have a good laugh watching Lehner and his comments.

Lehner is a bit fun when he is upset but I like his passion and the fact that he hates loosing. ;-) Almost reminded me of a young Forsberg who didn't take losses very well either. ;-)

In general I don't like when players are blaming the referee after a loss but Lehner did it in a fun way, also mentioning that Canada wouldn't have been treated this poorly. ;-) (or something like that)

Last edited:

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Eh...Markstroms accomplishments in the SEL >>>>>. Lehner playoffs

Except a more apt comparison would be this year in the AHL for both of them since it's the same league and more current. Lehner' a full year and half younger, destroyed Markstrom's season. Both played ~40 games including the playoffs but Lehner's numbers are miles ahead. While Binghamton had a superior team, Lehner was the key at the most important time against the better teams of the AHL (the one's in the playoffs). Any way you slice it, Lehner had a better year and is younger and that's the most recent, and fair, comparison to be made.

And please note that none of this is meant to bash Markstrom, he's definitely a top goalie prospect.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Except a more apt comparison would be this year in the AHL for both of them since it's the same league and more current. Lehner' a full year and half younger, destroyed Markstrom's season. Both played ~40 games including the playoffs but Lehner's numbers are miles ahead. While Binghamton had a superior team, Lehner was the key at the most important time against the better teams of the AHL (the one's in the playoffs). Any way you slice it, Lehner had a better year and is younger and that's the most recent, and fair, comparison to be made.

And please note that none of this is meant to bash Markstrom, he's a top goalie prospect too.

lehner didnt even destroy markstroms regular season and markstrom played on arguably the worst team in the AHL.... you do realize rochesters defense is absolutely horrendous right? lehner wouldnt have sniffed the playoffs either if he was playing on rochester and i dont see how he could have done better than markstrom at all.

markstrom completely owned the last 2 months before he got injured considering how many quality scoring chances he faced a game. of course lehner had a better year, thats what happens when you play for a team that is competitive.

What lehner did in the playoffs was marvelous, theres no other way around it, but saying lehner is on the same level as markstrom is a definite reach. lehner could very well pass markstrom the way he is progressing, he has shown that he is a great goalie, but as of now markstrom is the superior goalie and markstrom will only get better with more familiarity to the NA game.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Isn't this the guy with attitude problems. Didn't he ***** in the world juniors and there was another thing before aswell.

Not attitude problems, but issues with his maturity - which is fair considering his age. That was the thing I found watching him, he was always getting into scrums in front of the net, or chopping at guys in his crease or letting things get to him like in the WJC, but when he was send back from Ottawa to Binghamton (after hitting Poulin during an NHL game and costing the Sens the game) he started to learn how to control his emotions. During the Calder Cup run there were many instances where guys were trying to run him - I can't recall exactly who, I think it was primarily Kassian from Portland who was really trying to get him going - but he checked his emotions and maintained a level of maturity that we haven't yet seen.

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
Eh...Markstroms accomplishments in the SEL >>>>>. Lehner playoffs

really?

Whose better Carey Price or Jakob Markstrom?

Both Lehner and Carey Price backstopped their teams to one of the hardest trophies to win in the sport (arguably as tough as the Stanley cup) and both did it as Rookies. Lehner also pulled his team through when they were down 1-3 in the first round series to win it. ALL of the wins in OVERTIME mind you. I believe Lehner also set the record for time played in the Calder Cup Playoffs for a goaltender (however I am not sure if it is just for rookies or not.)

So to say Markstrom is clearly better than Lehner is WRONG.

Both are outstanding swedish goalies and we will not know which one is the best until they both play in the NHL. So far, Lehner has the most impressive hardware, and we are ecstatic to maybe finally have a possible top 5-10 future goaltender in the league coming up through the system.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I think the Calder Cup Playoffs is a much better future predictor than the effing WJC lol....

Anyway, Lehner did very well in WJC and it was not his fault we lost the semifinals vs the Russians. Ok, he wasn't super but he was good (in the semifinals). The reason we lost that painful game was because some brutal mistakes in the defense.

I don't mind the fact that he was pissed after the extremely painful loss vs the Russians, he should be.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
lehner didnt even destroy markstroms regular season and markstrom played on arguably the worst team in the AHL.... you do realize rochesters defense is absolutely horrendous right? lehner wouldnt have sniffed the playoffs either if he was playing on rochester and i dont see how he could have done better than markstrom at all.

markstrom completely owned the last 2 months before he got injured considering how many quality scoring chances he faced a game. of course lehner had a better year, thats what happens when you play for a team that is competitive.

What lehner did in the playoffs was marvelous, theres no other way around it, but saying lehner is on the same level as markstrom is a definite reach. lehner could very well pass markstrom the way he is progressing, he has shown that he is a great goalie, but as of now markstrom is the superior goalie and markstrom will only get better with more familiarity to the NA game.

I agree but one cannot discount the playoffs. They both ended up with a similar number of games played. It's not like the Sens were world beaters, they were 5th in their division and made the playoffs on the crossover rule. Though I will admit the B-Sens got a lot of good players in time for the playoffs so that defintely will make Lehner look better.

Regardless, like others have said Markstrom is still great and I don't want to take away from him but Lehner was great this year, when he got to play that is, while Markstrom was good on a poor team. It's possible that if you switched places both would have had mirror seasons.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
This board is absolutely hilarious. On HF, reputation and perceived ability > actual performance and actual ability.

To say that Markstrom is a) a vastly superior goalie or even b) ahead of Lehner in development is crazy talk. Lehner just proved to the world that he could take a pro team to the finals and be named the MVP of the AHL in the process.

Despite the fact that Binghamton had a loaded team, Lehner's save percentage and average shots faced leads me to conclude that he is one of, if not the top goaltender prospect right now.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Markström is a great prospect too, big frame, calm and very composed, great numbers in SEL, very mature. Not many in Sweden would be surprised if Markström turned out being the better goalie of the too. I guess that most people has always ranked Markström higher but we can't forget how young Robin is.

Personally I believe that Lehner may become a big game goalie because of his grit and his rare and strong winner instinct. He turns into some kind of warrior under preassure, he excels under preassure. ;-) Hopefully he will control his temper and use it for something good. Even if Hextall types are fun to watch it's not what Ottawa need in their quest for the cup.

Lehner also need to stop his "Me and my family against the world" crap, it's a little bit worrying. We all know his father Michael is and was an extremely tough and very controversial Mike Keenan like father and coach, but we don't care so much as Robin seem to think. Honestly I think it's a bit fun. ;-) Robin survived and is soon ready for the NHL. Michael is not that bad, having coached Lundqvist as well.

I've been playing with the thought that Ottawa picking up Michael Lehner as their new goalie coach, why not? ;-) Hmmmm, but it would be gambling. Honestly I think they have a tiny little bit more normal father and son relationship now, we shouldn't disturb this state. ;-) It was probably great for Robin to move to Canada.

Some comments from Lehner after winning MVP which I am referring too:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/ahl/article13140387.ab

"They can all go somewhere"
- For me, this feels great. Especially after so many back home criticized me and had opinions about what I, my dad and mom have done and how we have worked.

- But they can all go somewhere. I do not care of what they think of me, "he tells hockeysverige.se.

My comment: I'm not sure his swedish is interpreted correctly here. Robin is almost asking them to go to hell. ;-) "they can all go somewhere".

This is probably because of some articles describing his father as a psycho dad?

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
21, would that not be in response to the people criticizing him in the WJC?

Either way, the father/son thing is hugely overblown. His dad asked him repeatedly if he wanted to be a goalie - because the training would be hard and each time he apparently said yes. He offered him a chance to quit at any moment - including when he got the machine that took 100MPH shots at him, but he never did.

Lehner sent each and ever tape of his OHL games to his dad in Sweden and had him access them, then each of the games from the AHL and NHL last year. A friend of ours interviewed him before he turned pro and his relationship with his father is very good. I also wanted his father to be our goaltending coach, but the idea would probably be not great with Anderson there right now. Wait until he's taken over the number one in Ottawa before thinking about that route IMO.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The problem with that is that it was his junior year...Patrick Wiercioch was a point per game in his freshman year and was playing in a pro league during his junior year. Not sure how your so called correction did anything here.

Or we can just throw stats out the window and say Gardiner is the better player and prospect? More potential? Kind of like RNH's point totals were in the same ball-park of Strome's but RNH is called the better prospect.

Pyke*

Or we can just throw stats out the window and say Gardiner is the better player and prospect? More potential? Kind of like RNH's point totals were in the same ball-park of Strome's but RNH is called the better prospect.

Strome and RNH play in different leagues. The OHL is higher scoring than the WHL. This is accepted and acknowledged. The WHL also tends to produce more defensemen than either the OHL or QMJHL.

As to Weircioch v. Gardiner, it's a tired debate, but the general point I was raising:

42nd Overall Pick (2008) - September 12, 1990
6'4 - 192, Shoots Left

08-09: 12g-23a-35pts in 36gp [WHCA]
09-10: 6g-21a-27pts in 39gp [WHCA]
10-11: 4g-14a-18pts in 67gp [AHL] + 0g-1a-1pt in 15 playoff gp [AHL]
10-11(2): 0g-2a-2pts in 8 gp [NHL]

17th Overall Pick (2008) - July 4, 1990

08-09: 3g-18a-21pts in 39gp [WHCA]
09-10: 6g-7a-13pts in 41gp [WHCA]
10-11: 10g-31a-41pts in 41gp [WHCA]
10-11(2): 0g-3a-3pts in 10 gp [AHL]

Is it any mystery why the first is regarded as a better player by many?

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Strome and RNH play in different leagues. The OHL is higher scoring than the WHL. This is accepted and acknowledged. The WHL also tends to produce more defensemen than either the OHL or QMJHL.

As to Weircioch v. Gardiner, it's a tired debate, but the general point I was raising:

42nd Overall Pick (2008) - September 12, 1990
6'4 - 192, Shoots Left

08-09: 12g-23a-35pts in 36gp [WHCA]
09-10: 6g-21a-27pts in 39gp [WHCA]
10-11: 4g-14a-18pts in 67gp [AHL] + 0g-1a-1pt in 15 playoff gp [AHL]
10-11(2): 0g-2a-2pts in 8 gp [NHL]

17th Overall Pick (2008) - July 4, 1990

08-09: 3g-18a-21pts in 39gp [WHCA]
09-10: 6g-7a-13pts in 41gp [WHCA]
10-11: 10g-31a-41pts in 41gp [WHCA]
10-11(2): 0g-3a-3pts in 10 gp [AHL]

Is it any mystery why the first is regarded as a better player by many?

Careful, you've opened yourself up to the "clearly Wiercioch is declining rapidly like his point totals" argument.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Everyone keeps saying that the Sens were a much better team then the competition, but really a lot of the games were close, if you look at the shots on goal stats you can see that almost every game Binghamton was out-shot and a lot of the games imo out-worked too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad