Robin Lehner - AHL playoffs MVP

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
big fan of lehner since the WJC......glad to see him do well and cant wait to see him manning the crease for the sens a few years down the road.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In the grand tradition of hyped goaltending acquisitions (re: Gerber, Leclaire) it is entirely possible that Anderson will not live up to his relatively short burst stellar play after his acquisition last year.

Who knows when Lehner may get a legitimate shot? Might even be as soon as next season. Whether that's optimal for his development or not is debatable.

I hope Anderson is the real deal, but we've been sold that before.

Manny*

I missed that, what did Cherry say?

Cherry acknowledged the Binghamton Senators winning the Calder cup the other day on Hockey Night in Canada. Said Lehner was something special, played incredible for a 19-year-old.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
In the grand tradition of hyped goaltending acquisitions (re: Gerber, Leclaire) it is entirely possible that Anderson will not live up to his relatively short burst stellar play after his acquisition last year.

Who knows when Lehner may get a legitimate shot? Might even be as soon as next season. Whether that's optimal for his development or not is debatable.

I hope Anderson is the real deal, but we've been sold that before.

Let's just hope the grand tradition of overhyped teenaged goalies doesn't strike the Sens. if you look back over the last 10 years at the top 50 prospects league wide (HF or THN), the top ranked goalies more than any other position, inevitably have shown the biggest bust to ranking ratio. This has nothing to do with Lehner per se, just that elite prospect goalies more than skaters, have a tendency to bust more.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Cherry acknowledged the Binghamton Senators winning the Calder cup the other day on Hockey Night in Canada. Said Lehner was something special, played incredible for a 19-year-old.

Nice of Cherry to give him a shout out.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Cherry said something good about a Swedish hockey player?

Then Lehner really is something very rare and special. ;)

:handclap:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Cherry said something good about a Swedish hockey player?

Then Lehner really is something very rare and special. ;)

:handclap:

Pretty obvious he got a secret hard on for swedes ;) lehner isnt the first, question is did he get it because of forsberg or sundin?

Man Hole Inspector*

Honestly, who cares where they choose to rank players? It's a website, not some deity.

I laugh, for example, at the fact Jake Gardiner (smaller, less points, and less skill) is ranked in the top 50 but Patrick Weircioch is not.... Similarly, a team like Ottawa (with several "blue chip" prospects) is ranked as a "below average" team in terms of depth (being 16 of 30). You have to read HF Rankings for their entertainment value - not because you expect to use them for accurate comparison.

In terms of how Markstrom compares to Lehner - both are very good young goalies. Both have starter potential. Beyond that, who knows.

Not to be bias here but your acting like Jake Gardiner is a totally crap prospect. Weircioch has all the tools to become a top 4 defenseman but Gardiner is no scrub himself. Weircioch is 6'4 and is Gardiner 6'2 these are by no means "small" hockey players. I don't see how you can even compare points; Gardiner played only 10 games in the AHL registering 3 assists, +4. He also was a premier offensive defenseman scoring 10g, 31 assists in 41 gp. In terms of skills its a wash.. I'm not debating whose better here but you can't look at points/size when comparing the two. Anything 6'2+ in the NHL is considered "big"

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
AHL success means nothing to me. We've seen guys flopping when they make the bigs and Lehner was pretty mediocre in his first call.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
AHL success means nothing to me. We've seen guys flopping when they make the bigs and Lehner was pretty mediocre in his first call.

Not many goalies get NHL time at 19. Those who do very rarely put up solid numbers in their first shot at the big time. His stats don't look too good in the time he played with the Sens but he showed flashes of brilliance, where he looked like a star goalie on a good night.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Well, he got the chance when Senators was struggling and not to forget only being 19 years old.

I think he learned a lot and the experience from these first NHL games and the AHL playoffs was extremely good and important for him. I think he adjusted to north american rinks and style of playing very quickly. All my respect to Senators for giving him these first NHL games, huge for such a young goalie.

Now he has earned more chances in the big team and I think he is ready to get them when he gets them.

Senators and the Oilers are two exciting Canadian NHL teams with lots of great Swedish talent which I will follow closely.

The big question is who gets the Cup first? ;-)

My two concerns about Lehner is stabability (he has to raise his lower level and hmmm not being overly agressive on the ice). It's fun when Lehner is getting upset but well, hmm, you understand what's I'm saying, composure and controlled aggressiveness.

Last edited:

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
Not many goalies get NHL time at 19. Those who do very rarely put up solid numbers in their first shot at the big time. His stats don't look too good in the time he played with the Sens but he showed flashes of brilliance, where he looked like a star goalie on a good night.

I'm not saying he's going to be a bust or anything because goalies you never know, they might develop like Anderson has at a later age. It's promising but teams should have backup plans in the event they don't turn pan out. Look at Kari Leighton, injuries might have deprived his career or maybe he wasn't that good to start with.

GroceryStick

FURDA
Jun 8, 2011
North Bay, ON
I find it funny how every fan of each team overrates their prospects. These AHL playoffs were no doubt a great sign of development for Lehner. Winning MVP of the playoffs is a great accomplishment as well but alot of people seem to be jumping pretty quick on saying he will be a guaranteed #1 goaltender in the league.

He might become exactly that and I would love nothing more than that to be the case, especially since I am an Ottawa fan.

But its too small of a sample size to say that he is the #1 goaltending prospect in the league until he has a full season of playing at that level under his belt then I will might call him a future #1.

He's young (19) and he has all the tools to become a bonafide #1. He has the fire, the competitiveness, the athleticism but he needs to work on his rebound control and decision making.

Here's to hoping that Lehner can become our #1 tender for the next decade or more.

Cheers

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I'm not saying he's going to be a bust or anything because goalies you never know, they might develop like Anderson has at a later age. It's promising but teams should have backup plans in the event they don't turn pan out. Look at Kari Leighton, injuries might have deprived his career or maybe he wasn't that good to start with.

Kari Leighton, really?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Have you followed his season at all? Before the playoffs started he had played 2 games since the Craig Anderson trade. Up and down all year.

The only time he was given the net to run with, he won a playoff MVP and championship, entering a group that includes Carey Price and Patrick Roy. Not calling him the second coming of christ here...just stating facts. Pretty remarkable way to shut everyone up about this "lost cause" of a season.

and I laugh when I see this sequence ;-) not many humble 19 year old NHL rookie goalies act cocky like this. Of course, he need to stay focused but he cares and I like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzLPGEpk94

Everything is Canadas fault? ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kmZWCo5CI

Lehner is a fun and gritty goalie. ;-)

Nice save
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JQYQQ-VdM

There isn't anyone that coachs, plays with, manages, follows closely that hasn't noticed he's matured amazingly since the midway point of the season. Ottawa kinda got a little worried about all the "problems", he was told, he answered. I'm sure he's got that fire to lash out, and I think it's a great trait for a goaltender....but it seems as though he may have learned how to harness it over night.

One other thing...starting to think special things are to come of the talent that Anders Forsberg picked for Ottawa from 08-10. Cast includes Karlsson (15th - trade up), Rundblad, Silfverberg, Andre Petersson, Lehner, and Marcus Sorensen. Hakan Andersson did tell Bryan Murray at the time he may have been handing him a scout that was better than he is. All of these guys are doing more than expected...save for Petersson who's been injured (but coming to Bingo, healthy.

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
HF had him like #2 here on its ratings like they have Bernier and Markstrom.

woosh_retro_blaster_photosculpture-p15333951848646297135xz_400.jpg

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Who's that guy?

SP

Oct 24, 2006
I was gonna call him on it, but I wasn't sure if it was ignorance or a poor attempt at a joke.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Isn't this the guy with attitude problems. Didn't he ***** in the world juniors and there was another thing before aswell.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't this the guy with attitude problems. Didn't he ***** in the world juniors and there was another thing before aswell.

They clearly aren't "problems" as I've heard nothing bad about him from coaches or players and he's clearly helping his team win however he's playing. He doesn't seem to distract from his teammates or complain about the team or the coach. He's just really, really competitive and can't stand losing.

Kershaw

Good, excellent for his development. The Anderson extension however is questionable and he may prove to get in the way of Lehner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->