Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My problem is that it is just the same origin story

they can do a lot with the story and the characters

The last robin hood movie I liked was the Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn one

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I read a review last week from a major newspaper that called it an "absolute trash fire." The critics are tearing it apart, as seen by the Rotten Tomatoes score, but audiences appear to be evenly split between the "hated it" and "loved it" camps. Seemingly, if you care anything about resemblance to the original story and historical accuracy, you hated it, but if you don't know or aren't bothered that major characters are missing and things like rocket-propelled grenades didn't exist in the 12th century, you enjoyed it.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Judging by a quick Google search, this is the 51st Robin Hood movie in film history. A new Van Gogh movie, At Eternity's Gate, opens this week, too. There have been 14 of those.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not sure why so many have followed the Costner movie and have tossed in a Moor into the mix

From Wikipedia:
Since the 1980s, it has become commonplace to include a Saracen (Muslim) among the Merry Men, a trend that began with the character Nasir in the 1984 ITV Robin of Sherwood television series. Later versions of the story have followed suit: the 1991 movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and 2006 BBC TV series Robin Hood each contain equivalents of Nasir, in the figures of Azeem and Djaq, respectively.[68] The 1990s BBC sitcom Maid Marian and her Merry Men parodied the Moorish character with Barrington, a Rastafarian rapper played by Danny John-Jules.[71] The latest movie version, 2010's Robin Hood, did not include a Saracen character. The character Azeem in the 1991 movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was originally called Nasir, until a crew member who had worked on Robin of Sherwood pointed out that the Nasir character was not part of the original legend and was created for the show Robin of Sherwood. The name was immediately changed to Azeem to avoid any potential copyright issues.

So, it started with the 1984 series and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was just one of the first to follow suit. I imagine that it's had a lot to do with modern sensibilities to include a character of color so that the entire cast isn't white.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Looks really bad. Its like they are doing Kingsman meets Robin Hood.

And I thought that the Russel Crowe one was worse then Prince of Thieves.
Russels started good and the middle was okay but when they got to where they fight one the beach with the little Pony rider .. yuck.

Best Robin Hood movie is the classical Disney animated one with Robin as a Fox.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I never understood the fascination with making period piece films with tons of anachronistic elements. Trailer looks like Robin Hood with a dash of Hunger Games.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
It’s decent. Set up for a sequel if they go ahead with it.

Main actor was a good choice

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The reviews for this are so bad I kinda want to see it.

Antifa Robin Hood sounds hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad