Robin Big Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Reveille said:
Anyone know why he was released from the Winter Hawks!?
Lockerroom disturbance? :dunno:

I heard he made others around him feel bad about themselves.

Tipped Off

here's the reason

Winter Hawks Drop Robin Big Snake from Roster
Dean Vrooman - October 12, 2004
The Portland Winter Hawks announced today that they have dropped 20-year-old forward Robin Big Snake from their playing roster.

“We realize this will come as a surprise,†said Portland Coach Mike Williamson, who made the final decision. “What happens in the dressing room of a hockey team stays in the dressing room of a hockey team, but we had an issue following Sunday night’s game that I felt could not be resolved. The team as a whole is the most important part of what all of us are doing. I feel to have any chance to win in this league, we as a team have to all be pulling in the same direction. It was apparent to me this could not happen with Robin on our team.â€

“I want Robin and all the fans to know how much we appreciated the good things he did, on and off the ice, during his time with the Winter Hawks,†Williamson added. “He really enjoyed being with the fans at our team functions, was really good with kids and always went over and above when he was in that venue. And, when Robin is team focused on the ice, he can be an asset to any hockey team. But, for whatever reason, we were unable to get Robin to channel his competitiveness and talent, which are two of his biggest assets, in the right direction. Unfortunately, I felt he was a distraction to what we need to do as a team and Sunday night it got to the point where I had to act.â€

The Winter Hawks lost their second game in a row, 4-1, to Lethbridge Sunday in Memorial Coliseum.

Portland General Manager Ken Hodge spent Monday trying to trade Big Snake to another team in the WHL, but was unsuccessful. Williamson felt that he had to deal with this issue before the Hawks took to the ice to practice today in Memorial Coliseum. So, he told Big Snake this morning of the team’s decision. Big Snake is going back to Alberta pending further developments.

“Perhaps part of the reason Robin was having trouble here is he may have been focused on his pro hockey career instead of making the Winter Hawks his top priority,†Williamson said. “I can understand that, to some extent. He apparently had a terrific camp at Hartford and nearly signed a contract because they saw all the positive things we see day in and day out with Robin.â€

“I believe he is going to have to come to grips with what makes any hockey team successful. No matter what level of hockey he plays, and we hope he has a great career, I think he is going to have to learn some things and realize he needs to make some changes. Hopefully, when he reflects on what happened here, he will make those changes. If he does, in my opinion, he can be a big part of whatever team he plays for next, be it in our league, orin pro hockey.â€

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I read that. I was wondering if anyone had any more "insider" information on it. I know he caused some disturbance with his aggression and whatnot, but it still doesn't seem like a good enough reason to outright release him.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Wow...

Well I can tell you what I heard happened in the game. I know this as www.blackhawkzone.com generally updates prospect games. Apparantly Seabrook ran Big Snake, and it was over the line(blatant X check in the back, into the boards from what I recall). This particular person is local, and was somewhat surprised that nobody went after Seabrook later...

Now I haven't reread the report, but a kid like big snake- who makes a living on sticking up for teammates... any chance that he flipped out that nobody came to his aid?!?! Or apparantly there could be a reason that nobody came to his aid?

Just a thought

-fullmetalninja

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
fullmetalninja said:
Wow...

Well I can tell you what I heard happened in the game. I know this as www.blackhawkzone.com generally updates prospect games. Apparantly Seabrook ran Big Snake, and it was over the line(blatant X check in the back, into the boards from what I recall). This particular person is local, and was somewhat surprised that nobody went after Seabrook later...

Now I haven't reread the report, but a kid like big snake- who makes a living on sticking up for teammates... any chance that he flipped out that nobody came to his aid?!?! Or apparantly there could be a reason that nobody came to his aid?

Just a thought

-fullmetalninja

Accoriding to that report and from what I heard on the radio, Halifax did stick up for him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
andora said:
good, i hope he goes and works north or something, just stay out of a rink

Well, he REALLY impressed the guys in Hartford. He was nearly tendered an offer, but they wanted him to play one more junior year (as the roster is basically full). He might get that contract now...

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
well, it is the rangers (;)sorry)... but i've seen too much of him the last few years, ALL he can do properly is fight, can't skate, pass, hold onto the puck, dump the puck, come over the boards properly, coordinate his socks to appear in unison, tape his stick properly, get his jersey on straight etc...

as you can see, i feel he is useless whenever his gloves are on :)

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
psycho_dad said:
:lol:

So his name HAS a meaning!

I know you guys are just messing around, but as a Native, I do take offense to the mockery of someone's name. These names have tribal significance to those that have them and they take a lot of pride in that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
BruinStuckInTheEye said:
I know you guys are just messing around, but as a Native, I do take offense to the mockery of someone's name. These names have tribal significance to those that have them and they take a lot of pride in that.

I wouldn't take it as bad hearted mockery. And don't tell me you never thought about that name in "a naughty way".

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
BruinStuckInTheEye said:

Understandable, but don't worry too much about it. There are a couple of non-native names who get people a lot of heat too.

The last name "Butt" for instance, really gets some reactions. Big Snake is probably the worse name a guy can have on this board, when you know half the posters would sport boobies as avatars if not for restrictions. You just know sex references are going to pop up lie crazy around here.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Vlad The Impaler said:
Understandable, but don't worry too much about it. There are a couple of non-native names who get people a lot of heat too.

The last name "Butt" for instance, really gets some reactions. Big Snake is probably the worse name a guy can have on this board, when you know half the posters would sport boobies as avatars if not for restrictions. You just know sex references are going to pop up lie crazy around here.

I'm not overly worried about it. I can see the temptation to make fun of it. I just wanted people to realize that this name wasn't picked arbitrarily or made up. It does mean something. I'm not a member of his tribe so I couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure it has significance.

I realize it happens. I stated my point. It's over to me. :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BruinStuckInTheEye said:
I'm not overly worried about it. I can see the temptation to make fun of it. I just wanted people to realize that this name wasn't picked arbitrarily or made up. It does mean something. I'm not a member of his tribe so I couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure it has significance.

I realize it happens. I stated my point. It's over to me. :)

He was named after the first animal his mother saw after his birth.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
BruinStuckInTheEye said:

If anything, his name gets him a lot more attention than his skills warrant. If his name was John Smith, he'd just be regarded as another stiff from the WHL.

Buannan

Oct 1, 2003
Seattle, Washington
A Lone Wolf said:
Just heard and confirmed that Big Snake has signed with the Owen Sound Attack of the OHL. He'll likely be in the Attack lineup tomorrow night in Saginaw(MI).

just to back you up
;)

and I quoted a bit of it that is interesting

http://www.attackhockey.com/news_detail.asp?varID=233

"...Big Snake had a try out with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League this past September. The Wolf Pack is the farm team for the New York Rangers. Rangers Assistant General Manager Don Maloney said that Big Snake likely would have signed with Hartford if not for the NHL lockout this season..."

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
How do the CHL territorial rights work? I always thought that to play in the OHL, you had to be from Ontario, to play in the WHL...Western Canada, etc.???

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Baron Von Shark said:
How do the CHL territorial rights work? I always thought that to play in the OHL, you had to be from Ontario, to play in the WHL...Western Canada, etc.???
That must just be for the draft only. Once that team releases your rights, you must be free to go wherever you want (or wherever you're wanted).

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Seachd said:
That must just be for the draft only. Once that team releases your rights, you must be free to go wherever you want (or wherever you're wanted).

Well you have to clear league waivers before you can join a new league. Once you clear waivers, the territorial restrictions no longer apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->