Roberto Luongo

RECsGuy*

The NHL that Belfour started out playing in and won 2 Vezina's in was a far more offensive oriented league. So his career stats in Sv Pct/GAA would be effected by this

Goalies in early 90's with GAA mid 2 and SV pct .900-.910 were considered elite

Of Eddie's 65,640 career NHL minutes in net, only 28.29% of them (18,569 mins.) took place before the Dead Puck Era, and if you want to consider the lost '04-'05 season as the end of that period, then the Eagle played 62.29% of his career ([65,640 - 18,569 - 6,186]/65,640) in the lowest scoring stretch in the league's history.

Nice try, 'hawks fan.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Of Eddie's 65,640 career NHL minutes in net, only 28.29% of them (18,569 mins.) took place before the Dead Puck Era, and if you want to consider the lost '04-'05 season as the end of that period, then the Eagle played 62.29% of his career ([65,640 - 18,569 - 6,186]/65,640) in the lowest scoring stretch in the league's history.

Nice try, 'hawks fan.

You’re gonna have to explain where your cut-offs are to get these numbers?

RECsGuy*

30% isn't a lot? That's a pretty fair sized portion of belfour's career, considering we are talking about averaging statistics like save % and GAA.

28.29 and 30 are not the same numbers.

Also 95-96 was quite a bit higher scoring than any season luongo played.

Plus 94/95 & 96/97 are higher scoring years than all but one of Luongo's (05/06).

So now we're isolating particular seasons within an era? Cherry-picking to fortify your argument?

Last edited by a moderator:

JT Dutch*

... I think the thing that would settle arguments about league fluctuations in save percentage and how it relates to goalies who played across different eras would be to calculate as a percentage how much better than average an individual goalie is in a given season, much like how the "ERA+" and "OPS+" stats are calculated in baseball.

As for the topic, I think Luongo has provided all of the scenery, if you will, of a Hall of Famer - and needs to provide a couple more highlights. He's close.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
... I think the thing that would settle arguments about league fluctuations in save percentage and how it relates to goalies who played across different eras would be to calculate as a percentage how much better than average an individual goalie is in a given season, much like how the "ERA+" and "OPS+" stats are calculated in baseball.

As for the topic, I think Luongo has provided all of the scenery, if you will, of a Hall of Famer - and needs to provide a couple more highlights. He's close.

First paragraph - those already exist, though not in a centralized site that I am aware of. Posters here have calculated save% vs average on numerous occasions.

Second paragraph is very well put and really describes Luongo's status perfectly.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Nice try, 'hawks fan.

So...you're saying that Lou>Belfour

you can't be trying to say that are you?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I will clarify the obvious when a poster is twisting and embellishing facts to counter my argument.

I'm really not sure what you clarified. For these purposes, 28.29% and 30% are basically the same (unless you're nitpicking).

RECsGuy*

I'm really not sure what you clarified. For these purposes, 28.29% and 30% are basically the same (unless you're nitpicking).

For the sake of my argument, I am nitpicking. If it was 30%, then it would be 30%, but it's not; it's 28.29% and isn't "basically" anything else. It's pretty black and white, guy. If nothing else, show some respect for the time I put into collecting the data and doing the math. If rounding ain't no big thing, why'd you pick 30? Why not 28? Oh, that's right, because bumping the percentage UP helps your argument. See what I did there?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
For the sake of my argument, I am nitpicking. If it was 30%, then it would be 30%, but it's not; it's 28.29% and isn't "basically" anything else. It's pretty black and white, guy. If nothing else, show some respect for the time I put into collecting the data and doing the math. If rounding ain't no big thing, why'd you pick 30? Why not 28? Oh, that's right, because bumping the percentage UP helps your argument. See what I did there?

Are you here for an intellectual discussion, or to take pot shots? If you're here for the former, you'd move on.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think we should all be able to agree that belfour spent a significant portion of his career in a higher scoring era, so their raw save percentage and goals against numbers are not comparable at a first glance.

RECsGuy*

So...you're saying that Lou>Belfour

you can't be trying to say that are you?

You'd be wrong. What I am conveying with the stats/achievements comparison is that Luongo is not far off Belfour, who is generally accepted to be a HHOF shoe-in, especially when you consider his relatively youthful goaltending age (i.e. 247 wins and 34 shutouts behind with 10 years left, if we are going to use the Eagle's longevity as the bar).

RECsGuy*

I think we should all be able to agree that belfour spent a significant portion of his career in a higher scoring era, so their raw save percentage and goals against numbers are not comparable at a first glance.

Belfour was a greater beneficiary of the low-scoring mid-'90's-to-early-'00's than he was the high-flying late-'80's-to-early-'90's.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Belfour was a greater beneficiary of the low-scoring mid-'90's-to-early-'00's than he was the high-flying late-'80's-to-early-'90's.

But not as great as Luongo. Post lockout has marginally higher GAA than dead puck era, but save percentage has actually tended up very slightly.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
You'd be wrong. What I am conveying with the stats/achievements comparison is that Luongo is not far off Belfour, who is generally accepted to be a HHOF shoe-in, especially when you consider his relatively youthful goaltending age (i.e. 247 wins and 34 shutouts behind with 10 years left, if we are going to use the Eagle's longevity as the bar).

Yes, but if Belfour had retired after say 96/97, many probably wouldn't have said he was a shoe-in. A big reason that Belfour is rated where he is, was the 3-4 year playoff run in Dallas, especially the 2 years in a row where he out dueled Roy.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Biggest difference between Luongo and Belfour:

Belfour = 88 playoff wins (tied 4th all time), 1 Cup, 3 finals

Luongo = 17 playoff wins, 0 Cups, 0 finals

Luongo obviously has time to make up ground, but he isn't exactly close at the moment.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Biggest difference between Luongo and Belfour:

Belfour = 88 playoff wins (tied 4th all time), 1 Cup, 3 finals

Luongo = 17 playoff wins, 0 Cups, 0 finals

Luongo obviously has time to make up ground, but he isn't exactly close at the moment.

Belfour was a playoff BEAST.
Luongo...not yet.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Belfour wasn't a playoff beast until he hit Dallas. Infact, he had been known as a choke artist who couldn't "win the big game" earlier in his career.

Yes, for the first 1/3 of his career or so. Bobbly Lu is halfway through his career (more if he falls victim to butterfly related ailments), so better start winning soon!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
what happened to this thread? are we seriously comparing luongo to ed belfour?

right now, i would have luongo behind kirk mclean. two vezina runners-up, near-smythe-worthy run to the finals in '94. can't wait until tonight, when lou hopefully begins a run of his own to top captain kirk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->