Roberto Luongo

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I ask as a Canucks fan who accepts that his bias renders him unable to objectively answer.

What would it take for Luongo to be a Hall of Famer? If he never won a Cup or a Vezina, would he be remembered as a Curtis Joseph?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
He's gotta get out of the second round for sure.

As a Canucks fan, I say a Cup win, with a close-to-Smythe-worthy performance, and a Vezina or two, along with 5-6 more seasons of consistent elite goaltending and he's in. I'll say at least around 500 wins when it's all said and done. (he's at 308 counting this year...)

I think he could maybe get in with less, but that's around what I think I'd expect. I sure as hell hope he can do all that, but it'll be tough; he isn't under 30 anymore.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I ask as a Canucks fan who accepts that his bias renders him unable to objectively answer.

What would it take for Luongo to be a Hall of Famer? If he never won a Cup or a Vezina, would he be remembered as a Curtis Joseph?

Nope. To me, Joseph was a flake, a traitor, and the only thing he was ever the best at was losing.

Also, Luongo won gold for Canada, while Joseph was absolutely horrid in his Salt Lake showing. Thank god for Brodeur.

I think it will take a cup or two, maybe some Vezinas for Luongo to get in the Hall. As far as Joseph goes, I hope he rots and never gets a so much as a nomination.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Luongo definitely needs some kind of playoff success, very likely to play well for a Cup winner. If that doesn't happen he will likely need multiple Vezinas. Unfortunately for him he had one of the best goaltending seasons of the past decade but had to compete against another of the best seasons. Two advantages that he does have is that he gets to play for a prominent team and also that he was the starting goaltender for Canada at the 2010 Olympics.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He needs a Cup or Vezina. HHOF standards are much higher for goaltenders than forwards.

Yup he pretty much needs that or to age really well and end up with close to 600 wins and a couple of long runs in the playoffs as well.

Only 34 games in the playoffs at 31, is he really any better than Vokoun?

Luongo definitely needs some kind of playoff success, very likely to play well for a Cup winner. If that doesn't happen he will likely need multiple Vezinas. Unfortunately for him he had one of the best goaltending seasons of the past decade but had to compete against another of the best seasons. Two advantages that he does have is that he gets to play for a prominent team and also that he was the starting goaltender for Canada at the 2010 Olympics.

Playing for the Canucks both helps and hurts him as they have underperformed in the playoffs and he wasn't a difference maker in the Olympics either, just the next guy in line after Broduer faltered.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Playing for the Canucks both helps and hurts him as they have underperformed in the playoffs and he wasn't a difference maker in the Olympics either, just the next guy in line after Broduer faltered.

Yeah playing for Vancouver does have drawbacks, but if he performs poorly in a big or small market people are not going to vote him into the HOF. If you perform well in a big market you are more likely to get voted in than if you were in a small market. There are more benefits than detriments.

As far as the Olympics, I offered no comment on his play. He was just average, but when discussing his credentials most people are just going to point to the fact that he was on the team that won. I don't think he should get much credit for it, but he will.

DeViLzzz*

no need to worry about HOF talk ...

Luongo will not win the Nuks a Stanley Cup this year

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
In the modern Vezina era (1981-82), every goalie to make the HHOF has at least one Cup AND one Vezina. There's your answer. And one each is not going to cut it for Luongo. You either have a few of one and one of the other, or vice-versa. Or, like Roy and Brodeur, you have a bunch of both.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hard to believe but he has "only" 2 Second team all-stars (2004, 2007) for his career. Just for kicks, that's kept Rogie Vachon out of the HHOF so far and he won a trio of Cups (back up in one of them though, and rarely used in another). But he played great in the 1976 Canada Cup and much better than Luongo did in the 2010 Olympics. It is often believed that Team Canada 2010 which is chalk full of future HHOFers won that Gold Medal despite Luongo rather than the other way around. He was "okay", that's as far as I'll go.

To be fair, Cujo never garnered an all-star nod but he did make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs twice something Luongo hasn't done yet. By my count, the only goalie post 1917 that didn't play in a Cup final that is in the HHOF is Roy Worters, but he also won a Hart as well. Luongo needs a good run where he isn't torn apart by the Blackhawks at the end of it for once.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
For me, right now, I have Joseph ahead of Luongo, all time. Joseph's playoff resume is more impressive than anything Luongo has done, to date, IMO.

(and yes, I know Joseph never won a Cup, but he consistently got lower-seeded teams a lot farther than they had any business going, and his 1997 first-round against Dallas is one for the ages. And don't bring up Detroit, either. Joseph played very well for the Wings in his playoff career there. The idea that he bombed on a top team is a myth)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Just for kicks, that's kept Rogie Vachon out of the HHOF so far and he won a trio of Cups (back up in one of them though, and rarely used in another). But he played great in the 1976 Canada Cup and much better than Luongo did in the 2010 Olympics. It is often believed that Team Canada 2010 which is chalk full of future HHOFers won that Gold Medal despite Luongo rather than the other way around. He was "okay", that's as far as I'll go.

I agree. And "just for kicks" there are several other goaltenders who have accomplished much more who IMO are notable by their absence in the HHOF. Unfortunately, with the exception of 2, Vancouver has been a "Goalie Graveyard", spectacular regular seasons followed by meltdowns in between the pipes post season. Luongo, as highly rated as he is, is going to have to win it all, and more than once in order to even be considered. He's still a bit of an enigma and here its' 10yrs After?.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Well, regarding his long-term future as a high-level goalie in Vancouver, Luongo should be fine as long as Keith Ballard doesn't pull a Jeff Brown. The "Goalie Graveyard" moniker is a little much. The majority of Canucks' goalies have simply been crappy, before, during, and after their stay in Vancouver. Other than McLean and Luongo, at least.

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Well,atleast 100-250 more wins. A vezina or two and a close shot at the cup(or winning the cup) could get him in.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I'm not worried too much about trophy counting. This guy has had a couple of seasons better than some Vezina winners. He has been awesome on good teams and on bad. I have no problem with him getting in based on his actual play rather than a checklist, but he'll have to have a couple of good playoff runs and keep up his current pace for a while yet.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The "Goalie Graveyard" moniker is a little much. The majority of Canucks' goalies have simply been crappy, before, during, and after their stay in Vancouver. Other than McLean and Luongo, at least.

"King" Richard Brodeur & "Captain" Kirk McLean were the only ones who in the post season elevated their games', taking the club deep & into the finals. The moniker "Goalie Graveyard" was penned by local scribes. Its a topic, including speculation about Luongo, that raises it head every spring. The Canucks fan base is an unbelievably rabid & enthusiastic bunch, unforgiving of players who commit mental errors or give anything less than their best efforts, as is the case with most in the other 29 markets, however, here, its all Canucks all the time, a highly charged hockey market, similar in many ways to Montreal. Playing goal for the Canucks' comes with the kind of attention that can be overwhelming for many. Exhibit 'A' would be Dan Cloutier, with a lengthy list that follows thereafter.....

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
That is precisely why I hate the term "goalie graveyard." The notion that the "pressure" in Vancouver causes Canucks' goalies to struggle in the playoffs is nothing but an excuse for the media to feed the championship-starved fans. I don't mean to offend any Canucks fans, but Vancouver is hardly Montreal when it comes to pressure. Montreal has seemed to do fine despite it, however, winning 24 Stanley Cups. That might have to do with the fact that they have employed such goaltenders as Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, and Patrick Roy, amongst others. Maybe we are looking at the wrong side of the fence if we are claiming that goaltending luminaries like Dan Cloutier and Alex Auld collapsed due to pressure they faced as the starting goalie of the Canucks. No, the truth is, the list of starting goalies of the Vancouver Canucks during the years between each of Brodeur, McLean, and Luongo, is quite crappy. And it's not like the teams in front of them were the 1990's Detroit Red Wings, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->