Roberto Luongo / Shawn Thornton relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hey guys,

Long time Canucks fan here. I was curious: How is the relationship between Luongo and Thornton? Has anything been mentioned? As you guys might recall, Thornton issued an on-ice threat to Luongo during the pre-game warm-ups during Game 5 of the 2011 finals between Vancouver and Boston. This was due to Luongo's critical comments about Tim Thomas between Games 4 and 5.

Luongo is probably a bigger person than I am, but if it was me, I wouldn't have let management sign Thornton. Can the guy even play hockey anymore? He was horrid back then, and I can't imagine him being any better 3 years later and older.

I guess on some level however - I do get enjoyment in seeing Luongo being one of Florida's top talents while Thornton is an insiginifcant peon trying to scratch and claw his way into the line-up.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm not sure if this is a factor at all, but the Luongo trade is also one of the reasons why Tim Thomas was let go by Florida at the trade deadline last year.......and is also one reason why Tim Thomas is currently unemployed and will likely be forced into retirement.

Thornton and Thomas are/were good friends obviously (although I'm pretty sure Thornton is smart enough to realize that this is a business).

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm sure their relationship is fine.

I like Thornton and he can play enough where we are able to roll lines. They get some good pressure as far as 4th lines are concerned. G will even put them out late in the game so you know he isn't worried about them.

-ghoste

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I know that it's very likely a complete non-issue, but just wanted confirmation:

For instance - back in the day when Colorado and Detroit were heated rivals, I'm pretty sure it would've been an issue had Kris Draper or Darren McCarty become teammates with Claude Lemieux in say.......1999 or 2000.

Just saying.

There was a lot of bad blood between the Canucks and Bruins, and Thornton did issue a direct on-ice threat to Luongo during the Game 5 warm-up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm sure their relationship is fine.

I like Thornton and he can play enough where we are able to roll lines. They get some good pressure as far as 4th lines are concerned. G will even put them out late in the game so you know he isn't worried about them.

-ghoste

Cool, thanks Ghoste.

The 'Canuck' in me just finds it surreal that Luongo is now teammates with both Dave Bolland and Shawn Thornton, but I'm glad that they are all seemingly being professional about it.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Lu gets along with all of his teammates and leaves the past in the past. He's a professional.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm not sure if this is a factor at all, but the Luongo trade is also one of the reasons why Tim Thomas was let go by Florida at the trade deadline last year.......and is also one reason why Tim Thomas is currently unemployed and will likely be forced into retirement.

Thornton and Thomas are/were good friends obviously (although I'm pretty sure Thornton is smart enough to realize that this is a business).

This is not true, when Thomas found out Lu was acquired he immediately called DT and was apparently yelling at him demanding to be traded, five minutes before a game (vs Boston ironically). He was traded the next day. When the trade was made, Luongo made a post about how he was looking forward to playing with his tire pumper. Original plan was to have a Luongo-Thomas tandem and demote Clem to the minors.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Thornton is a horrid peon who can't play, and was back then? What Thornton have you been watching? He's a great 4th line forward, checks well, never disrupts the play, and is great fighter.

kopecky82

Kopecky can into PK
Sep 21, 2013
Texas
I'm not sure if this is a factor at all, but the Luongo trade is also one of the reasons why Tim Thomas was let go by Florida at the trade deadline last year.......and is also one reason why Tim Thomas is currently unemployed and will likely be forced into retirement..

I'm sure he will easily find work back in Liiga if he wants to still play. Keep in mind that he didn't come to the NHL until late.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Hey guys,

Long time Canucks fan here. I was curious: How is the relationship between Luongo and Thornton? Has anything been mentioned? As you guys might recall, Thornton issued an on-ice threat to Luongo during the pre-game warm-ups during Game 5 of the 2011 finals between Vancouver and Boston. This was due to Luongo's critical comments about Tim Thomas between Games 4 and 5.

Luongo is probably a bigger person than I am, but if it was me, I wouldn't have let management sign Thornton. Can the guy even play hockey anymore? He was horrid back then, and I can't imagine him being any better 3 years later and older.

I guess on some level however - I do get enjoyment in seeing Luongo being one of Florida's top talents while Thornton is an insiginifcant peon trying to scratch and claw his way into the line-up.

I get you hate Thornton because the Canucks were up 2 to 0 in that series before he started playing and helped turn it around. But to think professional players aren't going to get over something like that is silly. Guys who have fought become teammates so I doubt Lu is too upset over some words between them.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I get you hate Thornton because the Canucks were up 2 to 0 in that series before he started playing and helped turn it around. But to think professional players aren't going to get over something like that is silly. Guys who have fought become teammates so I doubt Lu is too upset over some words between them.

I don't get it Connor?? How old are you by the way, 10-14 yrs old? Not insulting you, it just seems you have no relation to business and sports and experience playing any type of team sports. Florida forced Thomas into "retirement"? Who cares !! And, Panthers were the only club who gave him a second chance back in the league. If anyone wants to feel sorry for a former netminder it should be Theodore (he led this club to the playoffs and kind of got shown the door soon thereafter)

Excellent points above by Panthers fan. Just to put a bow on this thread, Luongo is A GOALIE. He could care less with forwards battles from yesteryears. He's worried about his job between the pipes.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I have to comment on Lu's home and away masks. I think they are pretty sick. I didn't know where to stick this so here it is.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I have to comment on Lu's home and away masks. I think they are pretty sick. I didn't know where to stick this so here it is.

Poor choice of threads to choose but I agree, I like the striped home and away masks. The use of yellow on the home cage makes it pop.
Waiting for Aaron Ekbald to chime in any time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad