Confirmed with Link: Roberto Luongo has retired

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Luongo was a godsend. We had good teams in the WCE era and Cloutier would always let in weak goals. Luongo solved all that. The year we took Dallas to quadrouple overtime or whatever it was was legendary. Anyone who speaks ill of Luongo does not remember what it was like having terrible goaltending for years. Miller and Markstrom are better than we had before Lou. Game 7 of the SCF was not his fault, or at least not all his fault. The rest of the team, or what was left after the injuries, also didn't show up well for that game.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Luongo was a godsend. We had good teams in the WCE era and Cloutier would always let in weak goals. Luongo solved all that. The year we took Dallas to quadrouple overtime or whatever it was was legendary. Anyone who speaks ill of Luongo does not remember what it was like having terrible goaltending for years. Miller and Markstrom are better than we had before Lou. Game 7 of the SCF was not his fault, or at least not all his fault. The rest of the team, or what was left after the injuries, also didn't show up well for that game.
If only we were able to snag him while the WCE was still a dominant force, we probably wouldn't have been bounced in the 2nd round so many years. Cloutier was the one thing holding us back in those years.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
All written reports on his retirement quote him as saying his body just won't do it anymore so, he decided it was time to retire. Obviously he could go on LTIR, but don't you think the Tort outdoor game fiasco that led to his trade demand is still stuck in his craw and not going on LTIR gets his revenge on Aquaman? May seem petty to some, but that event seemed to really cut him to the core and I don't think he's ready to forgive and forget.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I'll always have a soft spot for Lu. Hope he lives it up in Florida with his family. Appreciate everything he did. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. It is what it is.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Fantastic career, really a HOF worthy career for Luongo. Congrats and enjoy a well deserved retirement.

I wouldn't retire the jersey though. To me Kirk McLean is still #1 and arguably was our best goalie. He carried the team for years and was as much a Conn Smythe candidate as anyone. His game 1 performance vs the Rangers was the best playoff performance of any Canuck goalie I've seen (not that Lu didn't have some great playoff games). I believe he had more Vezina nominations as well.

Ring of Honor for sure.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
All written reports on his retirement quote him as saying his body just won't do it anymore so, he decided it was time to retire. Obviously he could go on LTIR, but don't you think the Tort outdoor game fiasco that led to his trade demand is still stuck in his craw and not going on LTIR gets his revenge on Aquaman? May seem petty to some, but that event seemed to really cut him to the core and I don't think he's ready to forgive and forget.

Absolutely not. Him retiring benefits the Panthers rather than going on the LTIR. You guys are reading wayyyyy too much into this. Not to mention, Luongo is the last guy I'd think of to hold such a grudge like that.

Reactions: PM

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You know what bothers me about the articles in the Province about him today, they just seemed to want to dredge up all the noise and drama, without actually paying due penance to the gravity of his legacy and why he's such a legend and first-ballot HOFer. First of all, the stats are actually mind-boggling. 1044 regular season games with a save percentage of 0.919????? Over a thousand games people, most goalies can't achieve that % in a season once in their entire careers, nobody outside of Brodeur, Lundqvist, Sawchuk, or Hasek has ever averaged anything even remotely close with games played, and Luongo was a man on an island for much of it. Fans and media always gave him shit, (even the articles today can't go 5 seconds without talking about his contract), and all he did was churn out a legendary career. You know what I remember? I remember being smack dab in the middle of downtown in a crowd of Canadians watching him win us gold just a few blocks away, and how we all celebrated in the streets, cars honking, strangers high-fiving.

I remember he put the shambles of the WCE era on his back, fresh off the trade, and churned out an epic 76 game performance that carried us through the playoffs and into the second round for 12 more games. How many times does a goalie get nominated for the Hart, ever? I have enough fingers for that answer

One article mentions the 7-5 loss to Chicago but doesn't even mention this save on Patrick Sharp, on the penalty kill in game 7 overtime

Seriously! That save doesn't get talked about enough.

I hear the radio pundits talk about the 1-8 egg to Boston and they don't even talk about his two shutouts in the Cup final

He gave us everything he had, and it gave us a gold medal and one game short of the big one. And some of the best individual statistics and performances to ever come out of an NHL goaltender. And some incredible memes!

That's what his legacy means to the fans. John Tortorella can suck a wet sock for what he took away from us, because there should have been more. The media and the haters need to respect the achievement that is his incredible career. Hall of Fame voters won't have an easier selection

Last edited:

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I remember when we first got Luongo in 2006. He played alright up until Christmas, then went on an absolute tear. Deserving of both the Vezina and Hart that season.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
NHL players don’t go into the Hall of Fame as any particular team. This isn’t MLB.
Yes. But he clearly considers himself a florida panther first and foremost.

The rest of the players who's jerseys retired here spent the majority of their career here. Do I consider him a canuck? absolutely but even his letter to the fans here has him in a Florida jersey.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I remember when we first got Luongo in 2006. He played alright up until Christmas, then went on an absolute tear. Deserving of both the Vezina and Hart that season.

I remember the day we traded for him and thought that the Canucks were finally going to win a Cup. Was almost right. :(

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Fantastic career, really a HOF worthy career for Luongo. Congrats and enjoy a well deserved retirement.

I wouldn't retire the jersey though. To me Kirk McLean is still #1 and arguably was our best goalie. He carried the team for years and was as much a Conn Smythe candidate as anyone. His game 1 performance vs the Rangers was the best playoff performance of any Canuck goalie I've seen (not that Lu didn't have some great playoff games). I believe he had more Vezina nominations as well.

Ring of Honor for sure.

i would totally retire both, the way montreal double-retired 12 for yvon cournoyer and dickie moore, or 5 for boom boom geoffrion and guy lapointe.

in terms of asymmetrically great careers maybe more comparable to the rangers double-retiring 9 for the great andy bathgate and adam graves though.

Reactions: Zombotron

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Thought I wrote something yesterday but guess not.

The dude made us a legitimate franchise in the post-WCE days, and for that he deserves to be commemorated as a Canuck forever. Never mind that he was a top-5 goalie of his era and won the Gold medal on home ice.

Thanks Lu. I'm never changing the username haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->