Confirmed with Link: Roberto Luongo has retired

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Luongo played well enough to win a cup. The team just fell apart

He always thought he was so great in the earlier days. Made Gillis and Aquilini kiss his ass to keep him a Canuck. Mailed it in and went on an embarrasing slump when he wanted to go back to his pregnant wife rather than fight for a playoff spot. Always had this hanging desire to go back to Florida. Then his floppy inconsistent play was starting to get outshined by Schneider and he ended up eating a massive load of humble pie. He owned it and became a better person for it.

Was without a doubt the best goalie this team has had and certainly didnt deserve a lot of the criticism of his play. Tortz and the Heritage game and the way Gillis backtracked and handled the goalie situation was downright awful and he should have never had to go through that crap. Neither the whole stupid captaincy embarrassment

Today he says farewell and f*** you Vancouver. Gillis and Aquilini deserve it but Benning doesn't.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Happy retirement. Best of luck to him.

I will always miss peak 2006 Luongo. One of the greatest goalending performances in a season/PO I have ever seen.

He was the MVP and Vezina winner that season IMO. The Canucks were a lottery team without him in goal and he virtually carried us into the second round and against a juggernaut Ducks group.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Luongo played well enough to win a cup. The team just fell apart

He always thought he was so great in the earlier days. Made Gillis and Aquilini kiss his ass to keep him a Canuck. Mailed it in and went on an embarrasing slump when he wanted to go back to his pregnant wife rather than fight for a playoff spot. Always had this hanging desire to go back to Florida. Then his floppy inconsistent play was starting to get outshined by Schneider and he ended up eating a massive load of humble pie. He owned it and became a better person for it.

Was without a doubt the best goalie this team has had and certainly didnt deserve a lot of the criticism of his play. Tortz and the Heritage game and the way Gillis backtracked and handled the goalie situation was downright awful and he should have never had to go through that crap. Neither the whole stupid captaincy embarrassment

Today he says farewell and **** you Vancouver. Gillis and Aquilini deserve it but Benning doesn't.

Also, before he started his Twitter account he was perceived in the media as a stuck up arrogant jerk who took himself seriously. Then when he made one, he started to make fart jokes and make himself look 'cool' and 'hey he does have humor' kind of attitude...that's what made me think twice about Luongo's legacy here.

No doubt, his 2006-2007 season was one to remember as he backstopped the Canucks that year. Alot of good but several tons of bad after.

- Game 6 in 2009 which became the 7uongo game
- The whole Chicago series in 2010 where Big Buff would stick his big ass in his face then Luongo would flop/complain about his crease
- Almost blowing a 3-0 lead against the Hawks in 2011
- Game 6 of the 2011 Finals
- His last few years here where drama filled, calling him a pure Diva

I get it, he's going to the hall of fame and one of the best Canucks of all time.
He left a lot on the table to be honest, could've won more...I'm still mad/pissed/upset about game 6 in the Finals.

Peace out Luongo, see you in the HOF but you left a complicated legacy in Vancouver.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Where was he Game 6 and 7, when it counted the most? I'm not saying he wasn't a good netminder or the best netminder the Canucks have had so far, I said he chokes when it counts the most. I'm not wrong.

Just the same, Respect to Lu.
Can't fault the goalie when the team doesn't show up.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Thanks for the memories Bobby.

And I don't even mind the cap recapture (not Bobby's fault) if it keeps Jimbo from blowing his brains out on the FA market.
My sentiment exactly regarding the 3 million in cap space. I think screw job by Luongo and the league though but Canucks always seem to get screwed. Hossa gets an allergy to equipment? Callahan back issues now but Luongo whose got bad hips just retires whatever.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The Canucks retiring his number is no-brainer for me but unfortunately I don't think it will happen.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
The Canucks retiring his number is no-brainer for me but unfortunately I don't think it will happen.
I think retiring the number feels more complicated in Vancouver. Panthers I would be shocked if they didn't?

I will be likewise shocked if they don't at least put Bobby Lu up in the Ring of Honor in Vancouver though.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Luongo was awesome, he held the Canucks on his shoulders for a few years there. At times such as 2006, he looked unstoppable. It's too bad he didn't win a cup. He was really hit and miss against Boston in the finals, but you really can't fault him when your team scores 8 goals in 7 games. Amazing off ice personality, and a amazing goaltender altogether. Luongo will be missed.

Ring of honor, or retire his number?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No question RoH but I doubt he gets his jersey retired here. It'll be retired in FLA though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
No question RoH but I doubt he gets his jersey retired here. It'll be retired in FLA though.
I hope we don't do anything cheesy like the Avs retiring Bourque's number, that should have been a pure Boston. Luongo will be a part of Canucks folklore but he's still more Cat than Canucks. Would love to see him back for farewell day, maybe Ring of Honour, but leave the number retirement ceremony to the Cats.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I hope we don't do anything cheesy like the Avs retiring Bourque's number, that should have been a pure Boston. Luongo will be a part of Canucks folklore but he's still more Cat than Canucks. Would love to see him back for farewell day, maybe Ring of Honour, but leave the number retirement ceremony to the Cats.

For me it all comes down to Kirk McLean. No, he wasn't as dominant as Luongo, but he was still a great goalie for this club for a very long time. I don't see how the team can retire #1 for Luongo given the way he left and the amount of time he spent on FLA.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For me it all comes down to Kirk McLean. No, he wasn't as dominant as Luongo, but he was still a great goalie for this club for a very long time. I don't see how the team can retire #1 for Luongo given the way he left and the amount of time he spent on FLA.

Kind of my thoughts on it, too. I could see the Canucks retiring the number, and I’d be on board with it if they do - but I won’t be upset if they don’t and instead choose to put him in the Ring of Honour like McLean.

Reactions: MikeK and The Drop

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Kind of my thoughts on it, too. I could see the Canucks retiring the number, and I’d be on board with it if they do - but I won’t be upset if they don’t and instead choose to put him in the Ring of Honour like McLean.

I don’t think he gets retired here. Florida, absolutely. But that’s where it seems his heart always stayed. He gave us his prime years but his legacy is definitely up and down. Plenty of bad moments (Niedermeyer OT goal, 7uongo, Game 6 2011) here as well where we needed him to step up.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Very good goalie when he was at the top of his game. Unfortunately got destroyed by Chicago two years in a row and would be prone to getting mentally rattled. That 2009 Round 2 Game 6 game really killed his confidence going forward.

Should have won a cup with Vancouver between 2009-2012 but that's life.

ROH, yes. No to jersey retirement.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I still remember the day we acquired him. I just had a **** day at school, turned on TSN and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Things changed that day.

So many saves and so many memories. Thanks for those.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Member when Luongo posted 3 shutouts in a row in November 2008 and then did it again in November 2009.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad