Confirmed with Link: Roberto Luongo has retired

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Best goalie we've ever had and a total class act too, enjoy retirement Lu!

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Why do we need more depth? No one is injured right now and the depth looks good? I'm happy with how the depth looks now and am confident the problem has been fixed.

Really? What depth? Ryan Spooner, Tim Schaller, Loui Eriksson etc is not depth, it's trash. And when I said depth I didn't mean signing another Jay Beagle, I meant it could prevent the team from signing another top 6 forward, pushing other guys down the line-up and creating better depth throughout.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That being said, Luongo was a beast. When we first got him, I loved him, but around 2010-2012 I kind of started disliking him because I fed into the hype that he was a choker, and because I wanted Schneider to start. But now that I've had more time to think about what he did as a Canuck, I think we wouldn't have made it to the Finals without him, and IMO is a top 5 Canuck of all time. Better than Linden, Naslund, Smyl, etc.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Luongo is the only reason we went as far as we did back then. Don't post if you don't want people to respond.

Those Canucks teams were stacked with talent. Doesn't own a Vezina or any real hardware save the Jennings. Lu meant a lot to Vancouver and deserves his number in the rafters, but to be fair, if Vancouver had a slightly better netminder, they would have taken the Cup home. When they needed him, he choked and that's not an insult. It's the truth.

Reactions: nucks88

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
My conspiracy theory is as follows, and comes from no source: Luongo is a high ranking member, or at least an agent of the Italian Mafia in Montreal, and associate of Gaglardi. After Vancouver made the finals, Gaglardi paid him millions to take a "dive" in the finals, all the while betting for Boston. The Mafia also knew the fix was in, of course, but with the odds in Vancouver's favour at the outset, all they had to do was offer better and better odds as the series went on, raking in millions while Luongo made sure the team had no chance in games that mattered.

Now, years later, the story continues...

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Those Canucks teams were stacked with talent. Doesn't own a Vezina or any real hardware save the Jennings. Lu meant a lot to Vancouver and deserves his number in the rafters, but to be fair, if Vancouver had a slightly better netminder, they would have taken the Cup home. When they needed him, he choked and that's not an insult. It's the truth.
Go back and watch game 5 of the cup final.

Reactions: cookiefest

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Best goalie in Canucks history. He was a blast to have on this team. He shoulda had a cup gdi!!!!

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thanks for everything, but especially the gold medal in 2010. All the best in the years ahead.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Did he just screw us and Florida on purpose? Seems like it is an easy disability case? He would have got paid as well. What is his angle? It would seem the celebration of his career is a bit early if he is still using team's cap space. Changes my view of his time here if this was avoidable.

Reactions: iceburg

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah. It's weird. I don't really get why they are making that assumption.

Edit: nvm. Didn't see this from Mckenzie.

Jesus looks like he screwed us to help Florida. League should waive this recapture and see it as manipulation of rules.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Did he just screw us and Florida on purpose? Seems like it is an easy disability case? He would have got paid as well. What is his angle? It would seem the celebration of his career is a bit early if he is still using team's cap space. Changes my view of his time here if this was avoidable.
I think it’s as simple as he couldn’t get himself out of bed for $1m. For someone making 5x that in investments the bother just isn’t worth it. In the grand scheme of things it was easier for him to retire.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Jesus looks like he screwed us to help Florida. League should waive this recapture and see it as manipulation of rules.

If he really wanted to screw us, he could have waited till the cap recapture penalty was highest, and then retired.

Lu's not screwing us... the league is. But then, outside of Rogers Arena we have a statue up about that sort of thing.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Congrats LUUUU, definitely well deserved! Great character, great personality. He always gave it his best, even during the end of his Canucks career when he was going to be traded then wasn't, then...

On the bright side, with his retirement, this opens up the third salary retention slot that can be used in trades ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->