Roberto Luongo Appreciation Thread (3/30 growing speculation he will "retire")

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He hasnt been capable of being our full time starter for three years, those snap shots show just how good he is, but he cannot maintain that for an entire season. The mind is willing, but the body cant do it.
Health is an entirely different story though, and I wouldn't ever argue that.

Ability is not lost, he's still one of the very best in the world. Shitty defensive mistakes and the stats that follow never change that for any upper echelon goalie. Put Lu in Pittsburgh or Tampa or Vegas(oh yeah remember that coach..), yknow?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The last time Luongo played a full season was 2015 when we made the playoffs. He cant be a starter anymore.

I agree with....*gulp* Chaos here.

But like I said in the other thread, it hurts my soul to bash Lu. I cant anymore.
If it's health and tiring him out, that's one thing.

His ability or lack of isn't the reason for our shortcomings.

He still currently makes killer saves and keeps us in the game...most of the goals he gets blamed for here are most arguably not on him. I've called out the cases where there's no denying and it hasn't been all that often really.

If these guys stop making the stupid costly turnovers(@ThePatientPanther not counting the routine ones)and leaving unmanned opponents near the net, and mistakes, see how old and done Lu is not and how much Reimer really doesn't suck...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If it's health and tiring him out, that's one thing.

His ability or lack of isn't the reason for our shortcomings.

He still currently makes killer saves and keeps us in the game...most of the goals he gets blamed for here are most arguably not on him. I've called out the cases where there's no denying and it hasn't been all that often really.

If these guys stop making the stupid costly turnovers(@ThePatientPanther not counting the routine ones)and leaving unmanned opponents near the net, and mistakes, see how old and done Lu is not and how much Reimer really doesn't suck...

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
A goalie needs to make a save on a high danger shot once in a while.

The goals he let in against Buffalo was just a clear example of how he is playing this year.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

With a hot steaming pile of garbage defense and overall team effort.

Weren't you one of the frontline dudes opposing the Calculator-era decisions and now you are doing the exact same stats-watch maneuvers?

It really doesn't matter what stats ppl pull from their rear ends considering that Lu has been giving out numerous interviews where he's stating that he's after the Cup with this crew and the easy allowed goals are due to mistakes between his ears. In other words, Dale would have to hold Lu at gunpoint before he agrees to retire. Thus, the only way to get Bobby Rovsky or someone else for a starter job is to get Viola and Dale on board of paying two goalies circa $13-14mil in total cap hit (Lu $5mil & Rovsky $8-9mil).

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
With a hot steaming pile of garbage defense and overall team effort.

Weren't you one of the frontline dudes opposing the Calculator-era decisions and now you are doing the exact same stats-watch maneuvers?

It really doesn't matter what stats ppl pull from their rear ends considering that Lu has been giving out numerous interviews where he's stating that he's after the Cup with this crew and the easy allowed goals are due to mistakes between his ears. In other words, Dale would have to hold Lu at gunpoint before he agrees to retire. Thus, the only way to get Bobby Rovsky or someone else for a starter job is to get Viola and Dale on board of paying two goalies circa $13-14mil in total cap hit (Lu $5mil & Rovsky $8-9mil).

I'm not against advanced stats. I just dont like making roster moves solely based on it.

It's a tool, not a mechanism. I was against the Rowe year 100%

Reimer was a calculator move.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not against advanced stats. I just dont like making roster moves solely based on it.

It's a tool, not a mechanism. I was against the Rowe year 100%

Reimer was a calculator move.

But none of the Calculator-era roster moves weren't based on advanced stats e.g. one doesn't need corsi-stats to determine that Guds is absolutely horrendous dman.

I'm not sure what you expected from Reimer. He's a backup with circa .915 save% over his NHL career. Exactly what the Panthers were looking regardless if Dale had a calculator in his hand or not.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
But none of the Calculator-era roster moves weren't based on advanced stats e.g. one doesn't need corsi-stats to determine that Guds is absolutely horrendous dman.

I'm not sure what you expected from Reimer. He's a backup with circa .915 save% over his NHL career. Exactly what the Panthers were looking regardless if Dale had a calculator in his hand or not.

But they were.

Dale didnt sign Reimer

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
But they were.

Dale didnt sign Reimer

Time to put down the crack pipe if you actually believe that they picked Reimer from the FA market because his left hand corsi-for % was considerably better than the rest of the available goalies at the time or Guds got the boot because his fenwick-against stats were slightly worse than that of Petrovic. The Calculator boys were put in place because Dale wasn't able to, and still isn't able to, get this ship off the ground and Viola thought he could run the operation considerably better by the basic numbers. Sure, probably Viola's boys or their subordinates have dudes that crunch the numbers into less coarse material but I've yet to see one single statement from any reliable source that says that advanced stats were the primary driver. "B-but they were..." Show me the evidence then. (This topic has been beaten to particles and in the previous occasions no evidence has been presented either so this is kinda epitome of futile effort)

Dale was sharing the same committee table with Viola and co. so Dale had the opportunity to object the acquisition of Reimer. Neither he has traded him away to some other goalie that he likes more or because he doesn't think so highly of Reimer.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Time to put down the crack pipe if you actually believe that they picked Reimer from the FA market because his left hand corsi-for % was considerably better than the rest of the available goalies at the time or Guds got the boot because his fenwick-against stats were slightly worse than that of Petrovic. The Calculator boys were put in place because Dale wasn't able to, and still isn't able to, get this ship off the ground and Viola thought he could run the operation considerably better by the basic numbers. Sure, probably Viola's boys or their subordinates have dudes that crunch the numbers into less coarse material but I've yet to see one single statement from any reliable source that says that advanced stats were the primary driver. "B-but they were..." Show me the evidence then. (This topic has been beaten to particles and in the previous occasions no evidence has been presented either so this is kinda epitome of futile effort)

Dale was sharing the same committee table with Viola and co. so Dale had the opportunity to object the acquisition of Reimer. Neither he has traded him away to some other goalie that he likes more or because he doesn't think so highly of Reimer.

Batting himself said it was true, who is as credible as they come.

And what does Corsi have to do with Reimer? They have advanced stats for goalies too.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Health is an entirely different story though, and I wouldn't ever argue that.

Ability is not lost, he's still one of the very best in the world. ****ty defensive mistakes and the stats that follow never change that for any upper echelon goalie. Put Lu in Pittsburgh or Tampa or Vegas(oh yeah remember that coach..), yknow?

Rationalize it however you need to. His time for this team as starter is over, and Reimer is not a starter, here or anywhere else.

To not move on it is fireable.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

They always try to wriggle free, each offseason slightly adjusting the opinions, lol. Enjoy.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I think it's pretty easy for these "reporters" to speculate on Lou retiring because he's an easy target.

1. He is old
2. He had a bad year.

Nonetheless I don't think these guys know about what will happen anymore than you or I.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If we swing and miss on Bob I’d say the door is still open for Monty. I don’t think the Panthers return the combo of Reimer and Lou again next year.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Of course he’s not going to retire.... really selfish.

C'mon, that's not fair to Lu at all. You really think he wants to retire with this shitty season as his last? He didn't even get a chance to do anything after being injured by Vatrano in game 1, rushed back because reims/hutch sucked, and then backstopped a team that plays defense like it's the 1980's. He's proven to be excellent with an actual defense and some rest. He's even played some 5 game runs with little rest really well.

Plus, with all the crap this franchise has put him through, he can retire whenever he damn well pleases. I for one would love to see him return in a backup role and have another shot at the playoffs...or dare I dream a cup. After what he's given this franchise, he deserves at least the chance to call it quits when he wants.

Reactions: BeezKnees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad