Roberto Luongo - A Panther or a Canuck?

What team do you associate Roberto Luongo with?

• Total voters

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m biased since I’m from BC, but a Canuck for sure in my eyes. Olympic gold in his home arena, almost won a cup with Vancouver, they were a very successful team while he was there. Oh and he was captain as well.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm more of a Canucks fan being from Vancouver, but I actually associate him more with Florida. Being a newer franchise, he's a bigger star for the Panthers too (in a retire the jersey sense). These aren't huge names in the big picture, but the Canucks have Smyl, Linden, Bure, Naslund, and the Sedins. For goalies, Kirk McLean and Richard Brodeur may not be as good as Luongo, but a lot of older Canucks fans still love those two.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Neither, really

I always think of Roberto Luongo as the fourth-overall pick that the Leafs foolishly gave up in a Wendel Clark deal.

My, the Leafs could have used him, and the other players/draft picks they gave away, such as Luongo and Scott Niedermayer.

Reactions: klingsor

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He emerged as an elite goalie with Florida but hit his peak with Vancouver. In the Vezina conversation for the majority of his seasons there, including 2007, then won an Olympic Gold (on not only home soil, but literally the home arena of his NHL team) and then made it to Game 7 of the finals.

When I think of his best moments and highlight reel, a lot of them come as a Canuck, especially on HNIC.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Probably the best goalie to never win a Vesina.
Yes, I take him over Cujo.
In 50 years he'll be forgotten and it's a shame, because he had a much larger impact on hockey during his time than his numbers will suggest.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I dont want to sound like a egotistical Canucks fan, but can someone make an argument for the Panthers?

+ Played more seasons for the Panthers
+ Broke into the league and established himself as an elite goaltender with the Panthers
+ Finished his career with the Panthers

So...yeah. I could easily see a case for the Panthers.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If his time in Florida had been consecutive, rather than evenly-spaced bookends around his prime years in Vancouver, it might be easier to think of him as a Panther as well as a Canuck, but his career really breaks down into Florida 1, Vancouver, Florida 2, and it's hard to consider FLA1 and FLA2 as part of the same thing. (Also, the bulk of his second run in Florida was in a very even platoon, rather than a 1A situation; he simply wasn't the same guy then.)

He's a Canuck, first and foremost, because that's where he came into his own as one of the top goalies in the game.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Jesus Toronto fans are the worst
My apologies.

I've always been envious of the Canucks and other teams employing star players the Leafs either threw away or let slip through their fingers -- and I've wondered from time to time how magnificent Luongo would have looked to us in blue and white.

Not intending to derail your thread, but it's the most honest, transparent answer I have. A mental gnashing of teeth, as it were.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Neither, really

I always think of Roberto Luongo as the fourth-overall pick that the Leafs foolishly gave up in a Wendel Clark deal.

My, the Leafs could have used him, and the other players/draft picks they gave away, such as Luongo and Scott Niedermayer.

NOBODY CARES!

Last edited:
Reactions: rumrokh

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Neither, really

Yes, all players' legacies should be judged in relation to the Leafs.

I will always remember The Great One as the player who almost signed with the Leafs in 1996, before ultimately going to the Rangers. Oh, what his career could have been...

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
His time with the Canucks was significantly more memorable than his time with the Panthers, so I have to go with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad