Injury Report: Roberto Luongo 10/6/18 (leg injury), re-injured 11/24/18, day-to-day

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I called this in the GDY. Its 10 games (he was only gonna start 6). No big deal. This is why money was put into Hutch.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Sucks that 1 period into the year and were f***ed

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Dr Brokin, do you concur? LMAO
I'd have to get my glove on and examine his prostate first but yes it looks to be a painful sprain with no MCL tear. Lu is a fast healer but they should give him the full 4 weeks or longer as the rest of his lower body will take time to adjust to the lack of stretching needed to compete. Rush him back too soon and it just makes another injury inevitable. :(

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'd have to get my glove on and examine his prostate first but yes it looks to be a painful sprain with no MCL tear. Lu is a fast healer but they should give him the full 4 weeks or longer as the rest of his lower body will take time to adjust to the lack of stretching needed to compete. Rush him back too soon and it just makes another injury inevitable. :(

Fast healer? You're talking about a guy one step away from spending majority of his waking hours on a rocking chair. The mgmt should encourage him to retire when he can do so gracefully... and let the Nuckles pick up the tab. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Fast healer? You're talking about a guy one step away from spending majority of his waking hours on a rocking chair. The mgmt should encourage him to retire when he can do so gracefully... and let the Nuckles pick up the tab. :)
I said the Cats were a bubble team with Luongo this year. Missing significant time and having the notoriously slow starting Reimer carrying the team with a weak NHL backup is going to be tough sledding. Staying above 500 by Thanksgiving will be a miracle. So much for a fast start.

They won't let him retire as they are zip without him. Even a close to 40 yr old Lu is a better option than what we'd have to give up in a trade to get someone that could carry the load. They are going to be paying big bucks to secure one of Bob, Varlomov or Rinne next year. The Russian connection will help. :)

ps: Missing your starting goalie with the pressure of making a fast start is just going to make the guys grip their sticks that much tighter to try and score. I'd also worry big time about the team scoring 5 on 5 and the PP.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I said the Cats were a bubble team with Luongo this year. Missing significant time and having the notoriously show starting Reimer carrying the team with a weak NHL backup is going to be tough sledding. Staying above 500 by Thanksgiving will be a miracle. So much for a fast start.

They won't let him retire as they are zip without him. Even a close to 40 yr old Lu is a better option than what we'd have to give up in a trade to get someone that could carry the load. They are going to be paying big bucks to secure one of Bob, Varlomov or Rinne next year. The Russian connection will help. :)

Even though Cats' goat lending is far from stellar, the defensemen are still creating most the mistakes leading to goals against. Besides Bobby Lu probably isn't fit for playoff hockey anymore but I might be wrong. The guy is just spending too much time too often at the sick bay. Reimer ain't better at least significantly but he can stay healthy.

I don't think they'll be spending $7mil annually for a goalie so they'll probably try to acquire a backup with potential to be a starter like Aaron Dell.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I said the Cats were a bubble team with Luongo this year. Missing significant time and having the notoriously show starting Reimer carrying the team with a weak NHL backup is going to be tough sledding. Staying above 500 by Thanksgiving will be a miracle. So much for a fast start.

ps: Missing your starting goalie with the pressure of making a fast start is just going to make the guys grip their sticks that much tighter to try and score. I'd also worry big time about the team scoring 5 on 5 and the PP.
varly is awesome. bob wont be worth the money he'll want but hes obviously the best guy for the job. id be really cool with varly and i hope we get him and panarin and become team russia.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
varly is awesome. bob wont be worth the money he'll want but hes obviously the best guy for the job. id be really cool with varly and i hope we get him and panarin and become team russia.
It's doable but Lu would have to retire. $16M in Cap space + Lu's $4.5M + increase in the Cap by $3M = $23M to play with. We need to sign 9 guys to fill out to 23 players at $9M total. Brings us to $14M which is not enough to sign both of them. Best case scenario is an agreement in principal at the TDL for Panarin and sending Columbus the "muffin man" + our 2nd next year. Then signing Bob or Varly in the off season. :)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
It's doable but Lu would have to retire. $16M in Cap space + Lu's $4.5M + increase in the Cap by $3M = $23M to play with. We need to sign 9 guys to fill out to 23 players at $9M total. Brings us to $14M which is not enough to sign both of them. Best case scenario is an agreement in principal at the TDL for Panarin and sending Columbus the "muffin man" + our 2nd next year. Then signing Bob or Varly in the off season. :)

If we get that nice Seattle expansion we might get a sweet increase in the cap

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Not so sure where you count 23 but okay, i come to an maximum of 16M for next year without re-signing Petrovic. But between 6-9 million for a starting Goalie next Year should be available.
But that are the first 4 Weeks and i predicte more to come. a few days there, a week or two there.

I think we only get a new Goalie, if the NHLPA deciding not to Lock Out 2020. What is already going around a bit and that´s why the give also Seattle the green light for 20/21 instead of 21/22. :)=

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
sending Columbus the "muffin man" + our 2nd next year.

This would be the ideal situation. Muffin is already overstaying his welcome. Doesn't mesh well with any of the top6 lines. $5.9 mil per is just wasted money on the 3rd line.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'd have to get my glove on and examine his prostate first but yes it looks to be a painful sprain with no MCL tear.
wyuaZK3.gif

Reactions: Rahooji

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Not a doctor but I read a fair amount about football injuries because of fantasy football. MCL sprain is not a bad injury, and he’ll be 100% when he comes back. It’s the same injury Aaron rodgers is playing through right now and russel wilson played through last year

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This would be the ideal situation. Muffin is already overstaying his welcome. Doesn't mesh well with any of the top6 lines. $5.9 mil per is just wasted money on the 3rd line.
Realistically, Columbus is in the hunt at the TDL and they keep the "Breadman." I still think Columbus can get a nice return from either us or Tampa Bay prior to the draft. Tampa or the Cats will still need to divest themselves of some needed cap space to sign the Breadman and it's just a matter of who has the more attractive trade offer for Columbus. I suppose you could even throw in a half dozen other teams but an agreement in principal would have to be worked out so that Panarin doesn't stiff the team. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Not a doctor but I read a fair amount about football injuries because of fantasy football. MCL sprain is not a bad injury, and he’ll be 100% when he comes back. It’s the same injury Aaron rodgers is playing through right now and russel wilson played through last year
Just my professional opinion but I think a goalie injury requires much more flexibility rehab before they can participate and not worry about re-injury or injuring another part of the lower body due to the inability to stretch while the MCL heals. The trainers should error on the side of caution with Lu. :)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Even though Cats' goat lending is far from stellar, the defensemen are still creating most the mistakes leading to goals against. Besides Bobby Lu probably isn't fit for playoff hockey anymore but I might be wrong. The guy is just spending too much time too often at the sick bay. Reimer ain't better at least significantly but he can stay healthy.

I don't think they'll be spending $7mil annually for a goalie so they'll probably try to acquire a backup with potential to be a starter like Aaron Dell.

No goalie avoids injury from that Vatrano fall. None.

And those of you wanting Varlamov....but expressing concern over goalie health? Uhhhhh.....

Reactions: Rahooji

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad