Robert Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Classic big boom or big bust...This guy set rookie records over in Sweden and He just has insane vision and offensive skills..He could be a big time scorer at the NHL level but he had a really rough year last year so many people are jumping off his ship, but you can't deny his talent.

EDIT: I remember having a scout say..."The guy must have eyes behid his head"

He has the ability to make unbelivable plays.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles were saying in the summer, that not having control over their euro prospects is a problem.Nilsson'll be 20 by the time the 2005-2006 ahl season starts.It'll be interesting to see if the isles try and get him over to Bridgeport.

leafaholix*

I saw him once last year in an exhibition game vs. Canada on TV and he was making rushes from end to end, but couldn't finish to save his life. I read comparisons to Peter Forsberg, but the guy doesn't have the balls Peter has.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
03/04 season was disapointing for him and after his ice time was greatly reduced in the SEL he transfered to Fribourg in the Swiss league.

He signed a 2 year deal with Djurgarden of SEL hoping to increase ice time but with the NHL lockout, 3 or 4 NHLers are playing ahead of him and he's on the 4th line.

I can't wait to see him play during the WJC but I agree he should be in NA next year playing with Bridgeport instead of the SEL.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO he'll fall short of huge expectations but still be an OK player. I see him as being like M. Nylaner or Robert Reichel?spelling?.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
#66 said:
IMO he'll fall short of huge expectations but still be an OK player. I see him as being like M. Nylaner or Robert Reichel?spelling?.

Reichal was, at a time, a lot more than just an 'OK' player.

I have my doubts he ever makes the NHL at this point, I don't think a prospect has gone from such a high place to such a low place in such a short time in a while. Nilsson has a TON to proove this year, and so far he isn't doing much.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
moonstomper said:
he didnt even play today :dunno:

He did miss a game with the SEL team and played 1 G with DIF Junior team. In that game he had a goal. I guess playing full time in Junior is better than limited time on the 4th line in the SEL. This is what happened last year resulting in a transfer to the Swiss league. Isles should really consider playing a bigger role in his development.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Jay Thompson said:
Reichal was, at a time, a lot more than just an 'OK' player.

I have my doubts he ever makes the NHL at this point, I don't think a prospect has gone from such a high place to such a low place in such a short time in a while. Nilsson has a TON to proove this year, and so far he isn't doing much.

I disagree with the boom or bust idea.At worst Nilsson will be similar to Chow or Val Bure,a goal scorer who doesn't doesn't play physical and doesn't give you much defensively.

Scouts and coaches aren't put off by his offensive ability,as much as they are put off by his inconsistency and poor defensive play.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i've been wondering about him...lotta hype when the isles drafted him and then his next year was shot to hell...all seems kinda odd to me.

I disagree with the boom or bust idea.At worst Nilsson will be similar to Chow or Val Bure,a goal scorer who doesn't doesn't play physical and doesn't give you much defensively.

at worst that's what he'll be in the NHL? i don't think you can say that...there's no way to tell if he'll even make it into the NHL, let's not be unrealistic.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Levitate said:
i've been wondering about him...lotta hype when the isles drafted him and then his next year was shot to hell...all seems kinda odd to me.

at worst that's what he'll be in the NHL? i don't think you can say that...there's no way to tell if he'll even make it into the NHL, let's not be unrealistic.

The yr after he was drafted
1.he didn't give the consistent effort the coach wanted.
2.he spent most of his playing time on the lower lines.
3.he clashed with the coach.
4.he and his father approached the front office about a trade,were originally told to seek a trade,but after finding another team,were told Leksand wouldn't trade him unless they got fair value.Leksand offered to let him return.Nilsson opted not to.

Last month he led Sweden's U-20 team in scoring, at a 4 team tourny in Czechoslavakia.According to posters who follow Swedish hockey,Sweden's headcoach was looking for consistency and defense from Nilsson.

Isles drafted him expecting his defense and consistency to improve,making him a more complete player,then flawed one-dimensional scorers like Chow and Val Bure.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
These are the comments from forecasters scouts,in a section titled nhl stars of tomorrow: Nilsson is struggling to stay in the elite league this year but he'll eventually score a ton.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
i don't think this guy plays anything like forsberg nor has any relation to him except for hte fact that he broke rookie records and forsberg came out of the same country.

i really thought this guy was going to be a really good player, kinda sad to see such a bad second year. what is it with 2003 draft picks? many have gone on to have worse sophmore years (hugh jessiman, nilsson, etc)

KH1

For the love of god, don't give up on a guy because he was playing on the 4th line behind the best veterans in Sweden! He's got great offensive ability and is a smart player. The main reason that everybody dumps on him is because the Isles had to pick between him and Parise, and Parise looked so much better last year. But what I can say for Nilsson is to put him on the top line of an NCAA team and put Parise on the 4th line of a SEL powerhouse and see what happens to their production.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
moonstomper said:
he didnt even play today :dunno:

posted by tool123 on the nyi board:

http://eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=1074
10/07/2004 | Johan Nilsson

Talented prospect Robert Nilsson has not been in Djurgården's line up the last two games, and he has not been a healthy scratch as some might have thought, but but the reason was injury related.

Last Monday Nilsson wanted to played with the juniors since he felt he needed more ice time spending most of the time on Djurgården's 4th line in the SEL. In the game he suffered a mild concussion, which is the reason he has not been dressed the last two SEL games.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
CREW99AW said:
QUOTE]

I disagree wholeheartedly about Nilsson being a perimeter player. I watched all of Sweden's games at the 2003 WJC and there was one constant to each and every game - Robert Nilsson was always throwing his body around.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Minnesota Norse Star said:
CREW99AW said:
QUOTE]

I disagree wholeheartedly about Nilsson being a perimeter player. I watched all of Sweden's games at the 2003 WJC and there was one constant to each and every game - Robert Nilsson was always throwing his body around.

the biggest knock on Nilsson at this point is his inconsistency and his defense.Leksand's head coach last yr and Sweden's U-20 head coach both wanted more consistency and a better defensive effort from Nilsson.

I disageed with the comment in this thread,that Nilsson wouldn't make the nhl because we've seen guys like Chow and V. Bure,who don't add much defensely and aren't consistent, go on to have nhl careers.

It usually takes a few yrs to see how these prospects develop and pan out.So 15 months after being drafted,19 yr old Nilsson's not going mature,not going to improve?Imo it's too soon to tell.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Inconsistency is probably a trait inherited from his father :)

As Gretzky said "Kent Nilsson is the most talented player in the league he just has to wake up at the right side of the bed".

Him not making any splash in the SEL is not a surprise. Few teenagers do and few even get the opportunity.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh i'm not ready to dump on him even though i'm a rangers fan...i know players sometimes have some setbacks in their development and there are certain circumstances that can lead to that. i'm just curious about what was the deal with him. but i'm not fond of compairing him to val bure and stuff and saying that shows he'll make the NHL...a lot of players have a ton of skill and the same weaknesses but don't make the NHL. even though val bure and chizzerwizzer aren't incredibly consistant and don't play great defense, they're still some of the best players in the world. maybe nilsson makes it to that level, maybe not...again, he's got talent but so have many players that never made it

just dont' think it's valid to compare him to guys like that and use it as a reason he'll make the NHL for sure.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
H/H said:
Inconsistency is probably a trait inherited from his father :)

As Gretzky said "Kent Nilsson is the most talented player in the league he just has to wake up at the right side of the bed".

Him not making any splash in the SEL is not a surprise. Few teenagers do and few even get the opportunity.

I can't remember who it was, but didn't someone once refer to Kent Nilsson as "the most dissappointing 131 point scorer in NHL history"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->