NFL: Robert Kraft had Trump offer money to Sen. Spector to drop Spygate investigation: Report

Mar 1, 2002
Son, ghostwriter of late senator say Trump intervened to stop Spygate probe

The NFL tried to combat the Specter inquiry with public statements from teams that were the primary victims of New England's spying, saying the league had done its due diligence. It wasn't working.

But there was one man, a mutual friend of Specter and Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who believed that he could make the investigation go away. He was a famous businessman and reality television star who routinely threw money at politicians to try to curry favor, whether it worked or not. He had been a generous political patron of Specter's for two decades.

One day in early 2008, Specter had dinner with the man in Palm Beach at his palatial club, not far from Kraft's Florida home. A phone call followed. The friend offered Specter what the senator felt was tantamount to a bribe: "If you laid off the Patriots, there'd be a lot of money in Palm Beach."

Follow-up conversations with the people closest to Arlen Specter -- his oldest son, Shanin, a Philadelphia personal injury and medical malpractice attorney, and Charles Robbins, Specter's trusted longtime communications aide and the ghostwriter of two Specter memoirs -- revealed this: The man who dangled campaign cash if Specter were to drop the Spygate inquiry was none other than Donald J. Trump.

Not only that: Trump had told Specter he was acting on behalf of Robert Kraft.

Kraft and Trump, both responding to ESPN through spokesmen, denied involvement in any effort to influence Specter's investigation.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I know this is probably an odd note to give since the inevitable arguments over this are going to be about the reporting, but I find the actual writing here a tad obnoxious. They're really trying to dramatically draw out a reveal but the revelation is not only obvious, it is something that is given away in the headline ... and they would've known the headline was going to reveal that. Unnecessarily florid.

Mar 1, 2002
I know this is probably an odd note to give since the inevitable arguments over this are going to be about the reporting, but I find the actual writing here a tad obnoxious. They're really trying to dramatically draw out a reveal but the revelation is not only obvious, it is something that is given away in the headline ... and they would've known the headline was going to reveal that. Unnecessarily florid.

Yea, someone who was our president offered a bribe to a Senator and the important thing is how the story reads.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yea, someone who was our president offered a bribe to a Senator and the important thing is how the story reads.

Or a US Senator wasting countless hours and taxpayer dollars on a broken rule in a professional sports league that has zero effect on anything outside the NFL or anything in government...The man made Kennedy and Moon Landing "truthers" look sane

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Criminals doing criminal things. What a shock.

Which one of them is the criminal? Last I checked, none of them have never been convicted of anything.

Anyhow as for the OP. what a load of garbage. Clickbait crap. Not like they offered any evidence to support their bogus claim. I honestly dont know why a senator was even doing such an investigation.... it serves 0 purpose.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Which one of them is the criminal? Last I checked, none of them have never been convicted of anything.

Anyhow as for the OP. what a load of garbage. Clickbait crap. Not like they offered any evidence to support their bogus claim. I honestly dont know why a senator was even doing such an investigation.... it serves 0 purpose.
Ray Lewis didn’t do anything, either, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->