Robert Hagg

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
That is a good logo. This is a GREAT logo:

wQxTtPK.jpg

... although it is for Salmon Death Farts rather than Sockeyes.

I mean it could work... their team catch phrase could be “you’re about to get sockeyed”. Or “our sockeye farts gave you pinkeye”

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah I have. 1987 Richmond Sockeyes and Orland kurtenbach was the coach. Centennial cup champs. Why?
Orland Kurtenbach. When I was a little kid I loved athletes with strange names. Orland was one of my faves, along with Harmon Killebrew!

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
He's been better this season by the eye test atleast.

Ya'll quit hating on Bobby. He plays his role. He didn't hesitate at all last night to try and take out that trash wilson.

“He plays his role” is one of the more perplexing and/or meaningless hockeyisms out there. Every player who has ever played has been tasked with this.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
better this season?

It's been a weird season for him. He doesn't make as many loud mistakes as in seasons past but when he is on the ice, the team is always losing the shot attempt/scoring chance battle. His PDO is absurdly high this season which suggests he has been very lucky to not hurt the team on the scoreboard more than he has. He's a good soldier but he's a poor NHL defensemen. He's just not quick enough in either foot speed or ability to read the game to be a good NHL defensemen.

He should currently be the 7th defensemen but AV doesn't want to mess with a recipe that keeps producing wins. I understand that line of thinking, but I disagree with it.

Reactions: BrokenStix

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
“He plays his role” is one of the more perplexing and/or meaningless hockeyisms out there. Every player who has ever played has been tasked with this.

You can't have 6 PP1-capable D-men on a team. It's true. Just like in work life it's like in sports - when people know their roles and responsibilities and are trusted with those they perform best. When they try to perform outside their capabilities is when mistakes happen.

He's a 6/7 D-man who defends our stars the best he can.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's no role that Hagg fulfills. He's bad at everything that matters and he even sucks at fighting.

He's an AHL D-man who makes the team worse.

Reactions: AdamParrot

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You can't have 6 PP1-capable D-men on a team. It's true.
This seems to be a popular rebuttal in these types of discussions. You can't have six "PP1-capable" defensemen on an NHL team because of the salary cap, not because it won't work tactically. If you want to know what a hypothetical team would look like with six defenseman of that caliber, look no further than Team Canada at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics and 2016 World Cup.

Also the Cam York selection becomes baffling if the main goal is to strive to have six defenseman all fulfilling specific roles.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I have no problem with players serving a role. There are different game situations, so there's room for different types of players.

Reactions: Jtown

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really seems like every topic on this board these days comes down to people who understand the modern NHL and people who are stuck in the past or obsessed with cliches. Roles, intangibles, heaviness, fighting, etc etc etc etc...

That's the kind of stuff that's being used to defend every single bad player or bad staff decision. There doesn't need to be two opposing sides to every topic... we can all just agree that Hagg is factually a bad player and move on to something else. The contrarianism is unnecessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad