Robert Hagg

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
What I would like to know is, why all the hate for Hagg? He sucks is not the answer I am looking for. Did his partner put him in the position to be out of position or such. My opinion on him is that I thought he was not flashy and went about his business.

Reactions: Jack Straw

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What I would like to know is, why all the hate for Hagg? He sucks is not the answer I am looking for. Did his partner put him in the position to be out of position or such. My opinion on him is that I thought he was not flashy and went about his business.
He sucks.

No seriously he sucks. Zero offense. Weak on the puck and in front of the net. Turn over machine. Doesn’t defend the blue line. Stuck in his own zone all night.

Dreadful.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Mr. Dorion and or other nhl gm's you are correct. he does not suck and plays old time hockey. Ton of heart and grit. Loves to hit and block shots. You just can't put a price tag on a player like that, but if I had to try It would be a first round pick. Make that an unprotected First round pick.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
He sucks.

Attachments

• 5v5-Metrics.jpg
    5v5-Metrics.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Manually-Tracked-Data-696x345.jpg
    Manually-Tracked-Data-696x345.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 11
  • UnBlocked-Shots.jpg
    UnBlocked-Shots.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 11

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hagg is terrible at processing the game. His best play is the safe play banking off glass and giving the puck back to the opposition. That’s his best and only play and honestly we just can hope he makes it, because if he doesn’t it’s going to be a terrible decision.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hagg is terrible at processing the game. His best play is the safe play banking off glass and giving the puck back to the opposition. That’s his best and only play and honestly we just can hope he makes it, because if he doesn’t it’s going to be a terrible decision.
Just like in all of the playoff games. Wingers are always out of position in the flyers for the wrap play for all of the d.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just watch him. He’s limited physically & mentally. His best asset is that he’s essentially never involved in the play much creating an illusion that he’s somehow responsible to some.

He essentially just dumps pucks to areas of the ice where nobody is & gets praised for being safe by some. Like when flings pucks out of the DZ or sends pucks to the corner in the OZ. It’s not questioned that he just made a low percentage play for us &/or likely just gave the puck back to the other team.

On the flip side defensively he lets the other teams waltz through the NZ & OZ with little resistance as he’s always backing in & instead of meeting them & challenging.

Even his reputation of being a net clearer doesn’t hold up statistically as the other team is getting plenty of chances in that area.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
My thing lies with this perceived notion of how physical he is.

More often than naught, I just see him forcefully hug guys.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Hagg was handled rather poorly at the AHL level. As a junior he was a competent two way defenseman with a good outlet pass. Instead of developing as that in the AHL he was instructed to dump the puck and make the "safe play" everytime. To become more physical, which coincidentally wasn't his game at all.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make you an effective NHL defenseman. He has brutal posession metrics, he plays most of the game in his own end because he can't keep the puck and his first pass ability has gone.

He is good at blocking shots, he's physical and good at closing off players behind the net. He's basically a physical Andrew Macdonald at this point in his career which is a damn shame. I had real hopes for him

ToobiasedFor

Nov 29, 2018
Everyone was creaming their pants when he was drafted. He was viewed favorably over Morin, not that that was ever a high bar to surpass.

Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim all look like players. 3 out of 5 isnt bad.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Everyone was creaming their pants when he was drafted. He was viewed favorably over Morin, not that that was ever a high bar to surpass.

Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim all look like players. 3 out of 5 isnt bad.

When he was drafted people on here were calling him an offensive dmen. Then came the WJC and it was clear as day that wasn't the case.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
I have a really hard time believing both Ghost and Hagg are going to be Flyers by the time the draft is over. Hopefully Chuck can recoup some picks for Robert Hagg

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Sucks!

Seriously, I was going to post that BEFORE I read the OP. He's just not a good defenseman. Can't mentally keep up with the game at this level and is only effective at being an obstacle on the ice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg will play in the NHL for a decade.
He's limited, but was passable until Wilson came in and paired him with Gudas.
(note that Laughton also cratered under Gordon).

Pair him with a puck moving defenseman, coach him to KISS, and he'll be a solid 3rd pair guy.
Which is why I think he'll garner something like a 3rd rd pick in a trade.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hagg will play in the NHL for a decade.
He's limited, but was passable until Wilson came in and paired him with Gudas.
(note that Laughton also cratered under Gordon).

Pair him with a puck moving defenseman, coach him to KISS, and he'll be a solid 3rd pair guy.
Which is why I think he'll garner something like a 3rd rd pick in a trade.

Where does this notion that you should pair a guy with a puck moving defensemen come from? If I was a coach I'd leave Hagg way more open than the other guy since I know he can't make the play to save his life. Apply pressure to the puck moving defensemen, turn puck over and score.

ToobiasedFor

Nov 29, 2018
When he was drafted people on here were calling him an offensive dmen. Then came the WJC and it was clear as day that wasn't the case.
I remember a lot of people thinking he'd end up as a top 4 T.W.D, but never an offensive dynamo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad