Value of: Robert Hagg

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Just curious what it would cost to acquire him and what his potential is

Probably a B level forward prospect with some upside.

He's got good skills his problem is between his ears. Inconsistent effort. Seems to be rap on him. If he can get it together he could be good but has to start soon because he's getting buried among the flyers D prospects. Getting tough to find a path for him.

TheShaneTrain

Mar 21, 2010
East Greenville

He's got good skills his problem is between his ears. Inconsistent effort. Seems to be rap on him. If he can get it together he could be good but has to start soon because he's getting buried among the flyers D prospects. Getting tough to find a path for him.

This. He's been surpassed by a number of prospects in a lot of ways. Not necessarily a knock on him, he's just about to get lost in the shuffle.

I'd say a change of scenery would benefit, but as you already stated, the inconsistency issue has followed him for quite a few years...well before the flyers drafted him. Likely the reason he fell to the 2nd round in the first place.

B level prospect is about right...preferably a LW.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leivo for Hagg?

48pts in 51 Games in the AHL with 5 goals in 12 NHL games.
Shoots right but plays LW

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Of our young defensemen, it's pretty clear Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, and Morin are well ahead of him in the pecking order. I'd say Friedman is also ahead of him, especially because he's right-handed.

Hagg had an up and down year on a very weak AHL team. But he did finish very strong. He played his best hockey down the stretch. He could certainly be had, but if we are getting a prospect, it would have to be someone who doesn't require being protected in the expansion draft. Hagg doesn't need to be protected, which is very nice.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Of our young defensemen, it's pretty clear Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, and Morin are well ahead of him in the pecking order. I'd say Friedman is also ahead of him, especially because he's right-handed.

Hagg had an up and down year on a very weak AHL team. But he did finish very strong. He played his best hockey down the stretch. He could certainly be had, but if we are getting a prospect, it would have to be someone who doesn't require being protected in the expansion draft. Hagg doesn't need to be protected, which is very nice.

You sure? Hagg has 2 professional seasons already under his belt.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
You sure? Hagg has 2 professional seasons already under his belt.

The first full AHL season he was 19 and it didn't burn a year off his contract. I believe that is the distinction and why he does not need protecting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I have been lead to believe.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
What about Mitch Moroz? Maybe not what Hextall is looking for, but a defensive prospect whose development has stalled a bit for a guy who was overdrafted and hasn't quite put it all together might work. Moroz would make a great Phantom for the time being.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we were to trade Hagg, I would rather just get a 2nd back and let Hextall and the scouts pick who they want.

The Flyers have enough depth guys so adding someone like Leivo makes little sense since he likely won't make the Flyers either.

Or use him to actually add something we need. Like Hagg +Read for Bozak....or something like that.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
There's no real reason to trade him at the moment. First, he probably doesn't have much value. Second, I'm sure Hextall would like to see the Phantoms make the playoffs for the first time in a while. Hagg should play an important part in that in a top 4 role, hopefully.

I'm not sure a guy like Leivo would actually ever play for the Flyers in the future, so I don't see why they would do it, as the Phantoms probably have a bigger need for defense than forward at the moment. If they needed forwards and had enough defensemen, I'd probably consider it.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If we were to trade Hagg, I would rather just get a 2nd back and let Hextall and the scouts pick who they want.

The Flyers have enough depth guys so adding someone like Leivo makes little sense since he likely won't make the Flyers either.

Or use him to actually add something we need. Like Hagg +Read for Bozak....or something like that.

2nd rd picks who dissapoint dont bring back a fresh 2nd rd pick.
rychel was pick 19 and he just went for harrington and a conditional 5th...

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014

Value is good, but we have too many wingers as it is. Adding read doesn't really help as he'd bottleneck some of our younger talent coming up. Would you care to discuss Konecky though? I was mad as hell when we traded down for you guys to get him :)

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I think it's pretty unlikely that Hagg still has mid/early 2nd round value.

As a poster above said, young players have a lot quicker change in value than fans think. Anthony DeAngelo for a 2nd is another example.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There's no real reason to trade him at the moment. First, he probably doesn't have much value. Second, I'm sure Hextall would like to see the Phantoms make the playoffs for the first time in a while. Hagg should play an important part in that in a top 4 role.
Agreed there us no need to sell short on Hagg right now. He's only 20 and has 2 yrs in the AHL under his belt. He's still developing and made progess at the end of the year. He has all the tools and a high skill level, lets see how he does this year.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He's been a little disappointing, but he's still done well in Sweden and in the AHL already. He's not busted, but he could be doing better.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

This.
He is a Sweede so we shouldn't count him out. Those sweedish defenseman always seem to find their stride. I think his biggest problem is that he does not have one dominate skill set. He seems to be an all around Dman with no clearly defined role. Reminds me of Andrew McDonald with better skating.

I can absolutely see Hextall trying to flip him for another prospect or use him to package salary away from the Flyers. ie: Read + Hagg

I could be wrong and Hextall might just wait it out, but I would say Hagg is available if the offer is right.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There's no real reason to trade him at the moment. First, he probably doesn't have much value. Second, I'm sure Hextall would like to see the Phantoms make the playoffs for the first time in a while. Hagg should play an important part in that in a top 4 role, hopefully.

I'm not sure a guy like Leivo would actually ever play for the Flyers in the future, so I don't see why they would do it, as the Phantoms probably have a bigger need for defense than forward at the moment. If they needed forwards and had enough defensemen, I'd probably consider it.

I think it's pretty unlikely that Hagg still has mid/early 2nd round value.

As a poster above said, young players have a lot quicker change in value than fans think. Anthony DeAngelo for a 2nd is another example.

And that is fine if people think that. As others said, Philly doesn't need to trade Hagg as they have no fear of losing him for a few years so they can afford to keep letting him develop. He was great the last month of the AHL and I have no issue seeing how he does next year.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Rinaldo also brought back a 3rd round pick a year ago. The market isn't set by a couple of GM's who made awful decisions.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Hagg isn't as high end as the flyers other prospects but hes still got a solid middle pairing upside. The disadvantage of developing in the ahl is competing against players who have filled out. He hasn't looked exceptional but has made progress each year. He finished strong and if he continues on that path could make a push mid year or next at camp. Honestly i think hes closer than sanheim though sandy clearly has the brighter future. Best value would be had once they're competing for a spot. Young nhlers simply command more than prospects

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Honestly I think hagg has very minimal value. Every team has guys at his level and much better than him.

Probably not worth much more than a 4th...I really don't think his name will be remembered in a few years either.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Robert Hagg needs 1 or 2 more years to develop in the AHL.
Hextall should stay to the plan and be patient with Hagg, but if Hagg doesn't pick up his game after a few seasons then Hextall could have the option to trade the Swede.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Honestly I think hagg has very minimal value. Every team has guys at his level and much better than him.

Probably not worth much more than a 4th...I really don't think his name will be remembered in a few years either.

But Philly has no reason to trade him for that return. He has played in the AHL at 19 and 20. He has plenty of time to get better. Hell, in Detroit he would have 4 years before sniffing the NHl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad