Robert Esche changes his tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
"We're playing in a glorified youth hockey league and I realize how lucky we are. I'm one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league, but I am happy to be making what I am to be playing this game"

Finally some words that sum up what the fans think and he genuinely sounds upset.....or drunk.

Also, since hes come away from the "we wont play under a $100m cap" stance, does anything think this is the signal for Goodenows dismissal as it seems now that his biggest supporters and player reps are now totally undermining him?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Wow...

Steve L said:
"We're playing in a glorified youth hockey league and I realize how lucky we are. I'm one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league, but I am happy to be making what I am to be playing this game"

Somebody sure choked down a humility pill.

It seems so very long ago that players like Sakic and Chelios were 'begging' Bettman to push the button, cancel the season.

Quiet as church mice now that he's gone and done it, aren't they? Where's the big talk now?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Digger12 said:
Somebody sure choked down a humility pill.

It seems so very long ago that players like Sakic and Chelios were 'begging' Bettman to push the button, cancel the season.

Quiet as church mice now that he's gone and done it, aren't they? Where's the big talk now?

This is what I don't get. All you guys ever do is complain about the players and when are they going to face reality, come back down to earth, be happy with the money they make, etc., and when a player does that, all you do is criticize him. No matter what any of the players do in your eyes, everything will always be wrong.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Icey said:
This is what I don't get. All you guys ever do is complain about the players and when are they going to face reality, come back down to earth, be happy with the money they make, etc., and when a player does that, all you do is criticize him. No matter what any of the players do in your eyes, everything will always be wrong.

He's not criticizing them he's rubbing their noses in it.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Good for Esche and all other players who also fall back down to Earth.

Philly's lucky to have a guy with a straight head.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005

No, it's when players say completely stupid things... they are just asking for the ridicule. And Goodenow at this point is beggin' to get fragged also.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Icey said:
It's just a bit late.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
chriss_co said:
Good for Esche and all other players who also fall back down to Earth.

Philly's lucky to have a guy with a straight head.

It's a shame it took him losing his job to do it. :dunno:

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Steve L said:
:handclap:

That's the kind of thing the players should be saying. I hope more players follow his lead.

I remember his previous comments, so the change must mean that:

a) he's educated himself to the issues

b) he's grown a set of balls and is saying what he feels, regardless of what others think.

c) he's just one of the first to speak out and is expecting a following.

d) doesn't know what he's talking about and just says whatever he thinks at the time.

I hope its not (d). If its any one of a, b or c then maybe there's hope for next year.

CH Wizard

Esche is awesome.He's helping the colgate (one of the NCAA top team) staff , plus he isn't playing anywhere.This guy atleast isn't JUST playing for money.He loves the game , wow this coming from a mouth of a NHL player.

We support you Esche !

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
The Great One said:
Esche is awesome.He's helping the colgate (one of the NCAA top team) staff , plus he isn't playing anywhere.This guy atleast isn't JUST playing for money.He loves the game , wow this coming from a mouth of a NHL player.

We support you Esche !
Its not just any player, hes the Flyers NHLPA rep which is why I think the players are just about to turn on Goodenow.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Esche seemed to turn the corner after he called Betman a madman and then publically apologized to him after a conversation with Bobby Clarke.

I'm glad Betman pulled the trigger ... I'm sure Brian Mccabe is too 'cuz he was probably really ticked at the whole cap scenario...... :D

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
MrMackey said:
I hope its not (d). If its any one of a, b or c then maybe there's hope for next year.
Exactly, I was listening to Bob Goodenow on TSN on the evening special and he was already starting to boast that this season being cancelled will be nothing compared to what it may end up being. Lets face it, Goodenow's only tactic in his history of negotiating is to pressure the other side until they cave. Now that the other side has not caved he is talking about an undefined amount of time before a "fair deal" is done. Well, it will be interesting to see Goodenow as director of a one member union: Bryan McCabe. The rest will come to their senses and negotiate the fair deal called linkange and profit sharing: sounds pretty fair to me.

Very refreshing to see Robert Esche go from "I will not even play for a $200 million cap..." to "I'm one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league, but I am happy to be making what I am to be playing this game."

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Steve L said:
Its not just any player, hes the Flyers NHLPA rep which is why I think the players are just about to turn on Goodenow.

No Doubt !!! Goodenow's days are numbered, he had the deal in his hands and he sold the boys down the river !!!! C YA Bob !!

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Luc Labelle said:
Exactly, I was listening to Bob Goodenow on TSN on the evening special and he was already starting to boast that this season being cancelled will be nothing compared to what it may end up being. Lets face it, Goodenow's only tactic in his history of negotiating is to pressure the other side until they cave. Now that the other side has not caved he is talking about an undefined amount of time before a "fair deal" is done. Well, it will be interesting to see Goodenow as director of a one member union: Bryan McCabe. The rest will come to their senses and negotiate the fair deal called linkange and profit sharing: sounds pretty fair to me.

Very refreshing to see Robert Esche go from "I will not even play for a $200 million cap..." to "I'm one of the lowest paid starting goalies in the league, but I am happy to be making what I am to be playing this game."

What he's going to kiss another 1.5 Billion in players salaries goodbye again?? What a pompous CLOWN !!! Your done Goodenow !!!

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
What even more pathetic is Esche has an even bigger chance of not being a starter next time hockey comes around...ask his GM...

:lol

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
The Great One said:

We support you Esche !

On the crazy off chance that Esche or someone that knows Esche is reading these boards: Thank you for being a bigger man than either Bettman or Goodenow.

I'm officially a big fan.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Captain Conservative said:
On the crazy off chance that Esche or someone that knows Esche is reading these boards: Thank you for being a bigger man than either Bettman or Goodenow.

I'm officially a big fan.

agreed- nice to see him make a mature comment like that. i'm no flyers fan, but esche will earn a lot of respect for his humility

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
wow... just watched it on demand. that was friggin amazing... and he's definitely going to get taken to the cleaner by some of the players out there.

he's touching on the surface of what is going to be some major internal fighting among the players... it'll be interesting if this goes public or not. i like that he noted that they may have rejected the best offer that they are going to get, hopefully that will help somewhere in this whole thing as we go along.

other sidenote from watching DNL...

did you see when the reporter asked Snider if he was interested in getting out of the NHL? notice the response? <paraphrase> "that's not a question that i really want to answer right now, but i don't want to get out of hockey."

hockey... not the NHL. the infamous eklund, believe him or not, noted that some of the power owners may be pondering the idea of buying-out the weak owners (if you see franchise values this isn't necessarily that far out there... doubt they could actually do it, but you'd have to think as a business move some of these guys would like to consider it) and getting rid of the dead weight... i'm probably stretching Snider's quote too far, but it was really interesting how he answered that question... and given the fact that he looked like he was about to cry, it is clear he has some pretty strong emotions that he isn't venting publicly, you have to think he's letting them loose behind the doors.

going to be interesting.

edit: appologies... got lost in the boards, thought i was back in philly's board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad