Robert Bortuzzo fined $3,091.40, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for cross-checking.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
This guy needs to be kicked out of the league. I didn't see the play he was fined for, but his track record tells me it was probably dirty.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Wow. I can't believe a hit to an opponents head in the same game gets less consequence than this play.

Reactions: Pay Carl

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Perhaps they should increase these fines beyond what amounts to periods worth of work, if not less for some guys.

Edit. If Bortuzzo played all 82 games he would make about $4675 per period before taxes. So, even for a scrub this is chump change. Like, 4 mins of actual work in Bortuzzo's case.

Reactions: Dumais

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't understand why the league doesn't do a better job of protecting their assets and product. Players like this have no business being in today's NHL.

Reactions: egelband

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
This guy needs to be kicked out of the league. I didn't see the play he was fined for, but his track record tells me it was probably dirty.

Lol kicked out of the league?

What is bortuzzos track record?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
bortuzzo is an idiot

he pulled the same crap when they played the ducks earlier in the year. last seconds of play after a whistle he just starts cross checking any duck player he sees in front of the net

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't understand why the league doesn't do a better job of protecting their assets and product. Players like this have no business being in today's NHL.
This is what i think every time I see a headshot. Doesn’t the league see that eventually they’re going to get sued for letting marginal players feel they have to injure opponents to have value. So short-sighted. And for what?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Perhaps they should increase these fines beyond what amounts to periods worth of work, if not less for some guys.

Edit. If Bortuzzo played all 82 games he would make about $4675 per period before taxes. So, even for a scrub this is chump change. Like, 4 mins of actual work in Bortuzzo's case.

This comes up practically every time a player is fined. The League and the NHLPA collectively bargain maximum fine amounts. It's the PA's job to try to keep it as low as possible, and, to be quite frank, the League didn't particularly care about fine amounts in the last CBA negotiation. Perhaps they could have fought for hired maximum fine limits, but the season was nearly lost over other things. I don't think anyone was looking out for a new hill on which to fight and possibly die.

The real effect of the fine comes later, if the player continues to require supplemental discipline. If they do, they are repeat offenders and it hits them harder in the wallet when/if they are suspended. If they don't, lesson learned and we get to all move on.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Lol kicked out of the league?

What is bortuzzos track record?

I only saw it live at full speed, in the game thread I posted that he got someone high, he was going at with Szwarz (didnt know who). The battle was at the botttom of the screen of the blues telecast, away from the play. It looked like from one viewing at full speed that Szwarz was tangled up in Borts stick and bent over low, Borts was trying to get free since the puck was in our end and the battle took place at the blueline. Bort then went to crosscheck. Himself free and got him in the sideif the head or neck area. Completely messed up play where he should have had more control of his stick.

That is what I saw, but they never showed a replay.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I only saw it live at full speed, in the game thread I posted that he got someone high, he was going at with Szwarz (didnt know who). The battle was at the botttom of the screen of the blues telecast, away from the play. It looked like from one viewing at full speed that Szwarz was tangled up in Borts stick and bent over low, Borts was trying to get free since the puck was in our end and the battle took place at the blueline. Bort then went to crosscheck. Himself free and got him in the sideif the head or neck area. Completely messed up play where he should have had more control of his stick.

That is what I saw, but they never showed a replay.
OH, I actually take back my previous post. I figured this was for the crosscheck to Szwarz back earlier (he got 2 mins for it). I know that there was actually no penalty on this play, so I assumed it wasn't as bad as I thought at full speed.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
OH, I actually take back my previous post. I figured this was for the crosscheck to Szwarz back earlier (he got 2 mins for it). I know that there was actually no penalty on this play, so I assumed it wasn't as bad as I thought at full speed.

I honestly not sure which play they fined, but the play I described just stuck with me the way the Bruin player grabbed his head and bent over in pain when i saw it, I just assumed it had to be that and not the the regular 2 min penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad