robbie schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
a lot of american forwards have impressed me, but no one looks more dangerous and poised with the puck than schremp.

hrm, i can't agree with that. the US forwards didn't look great in general but schremp didn't look any more poised with the puck than other guys.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Levitate said:
hrm, i can't agree with that. the US forwards didn't look great in general but schremp didn't look any more poised with the puck than other guys.
Sounds like you're stating your opinion as fact, when everybody has seen the game through their own eyes.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
JNRhockeyGURU said:
Trying to be as unbiased as I can, I still can't see where you saw that! I honestly believe that this type reaction right here is based more on past performance, rumor and reputation. Didn't he infact clear the crease in his own end during a scramble with montoya down? I think your "nervousness" is just you buying into negative hype and not you allowing yourself to WATCH what is actually happening. And to say he doesn't lay the body---you don't catch too many knights games???

Actually I have seen one Knights game this season. I know you are a HUGE Schremp fan but I was at the game last night and my post was based on his play last night and last night alone. Yes, he may have cleared a puck in the crease but that does not make him sound defensively. The fact is, he looks very lost in his own end. He looks as if he is trying and defense is something that can be taught but right now he's a liability. So yes I did WATCH what was happening, Schremp is great with the puck, especially in the crease, definately a threat to score from any angle. However, he is not yet a complete player. I'm not trying to bash this kid, only give my opinion from last nights game. I think that your obvious love for Robbie Schremp has blinded you.

I'm assuming you watched the game on tv and missed my favorite Robbie Schremp play last night. Schremp was on the power play and as it was coming to an end the US coaches were screaming for him to get off, what did Schremp do?? He held one finger up as if he was saying, "one more minute" and continued up ice. Now had the US been on the attact, this might have been a decent play but at the time Schremp could have easily changed up. It looked to me like a blatant attempt to get more ice. Maybe I'm wrong.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
LemonDrop_27 said:
Actually I have seen one Knights game this season. I know you are a HUGE Schremp fan but I was at the game last night and my post was based on his play last night and last night alone. Yes, he may have cleared a puck in the crease but that does not make him sound defensively. The fact is, he looks very lost in his own end. He looks as if he is trying and defense is something that can be taught but right now he's a liability. So yes I did WATCH what was happening, Schremp is great with the puck, especially in the crease, definately a threat to score from any angle. However, he is not yet a complete player. I'm not trying to bash this kid, only give my opinion from last nights game. I think that your obvious love for Robbie Schremp has blinded you.

I'm assuming you watched the game on tv and missed my favorite Robbie Schremp play last night. Schremp was on the power play and as it was coming to an end the US coaches were screaming for him to get off, what did Schremp do?? He held one finger up as if he was saying, "one more minute" and continued up ice. Now had the US been on the attact, this might have been a decent play but at the time Schremp could have easily changed up. It looked to me like a blatant attempt to get more ice. Maybe I'm wrong.
:lol: i can see him doing that.. lol

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
LemonDrop_27 said:
Schremp played about 5 or 6 regular strength shifts tonight. Here is my take, he's very dangerous in the offensive zone. Every time he has the puck on his stick in the opposing teams end, he's a threat. On the other hand, every time he was in his own end, I held my breath until he got off. It looked like he was trying but, he has no clue in his own end. At most he gives a stick check but never plays the body and looks lost most of the time in the defensive end. Played more tonight than against Russia but I honeslty don't feel comfortable with him on the ice in a close game.
What game were you watching? Are you sure you were holding your breath out of fear of what he might do, or just because this stigma of being a defensive liability follows him around. He has matured and grown leaps and bounds, and yes that includes in his own end. The problem is, he is under such a microscope, that every time he steps on the ice, everyone is just waiting for him to screw up, as opposed to help his team and contribute. During the Russia - US game, I saw Ovechkin give up the puck 5-6 times, does anyone focus on that? Ovechkin is seen as a very complete player who gives his all every shift, at both ends of the ice. I am not trying to compare the two, but you would have to admit, in Schremp's very limited role thus far, he has done nothing but step up, and help his team. Don't you think that the heat is on him, when all he gets are 4-5 shifts. If he screws up on one of those shifts, it gets blown way out of proportion, because he doesn't have the luxury of getting out there the next shift and making up for it. Even his post game comments were terrific. This kid is finally getting it, and all you nay sayers can't stand it. Give him his just rewards, and atleast acknowledge that he is trying to shake all the bad press that has followed him around. Granted, he is to blame for most of it, but why should we frown upon a kid who is extremely talented just because he is cocky...and for what it's worth he can back it up! I think he has really grown as a player since being benched in game 7 of the OHL finals last year. Hunter did what all good coaches do, he is getting through to his players, and Schremp is a prime example. I hope he continues to shine at this WJC, and wish him well on what I am sure will be a stellar NHL career.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
LemonDrop_27 said:
I guess he should be crucified for it. I mean he's the only young player to ever pull such a stunt in the history of hockey.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
LemonDrop_27 said:

Compliments of HOCKEY'S FUTURE...Edmonton Oilers top prospects

1. (2) Rob Schremp (C) – 18 - London Knights (OHL)
Draft: 1st Round, 25th 2004 Grade: 8.5B Projection: 1st Line Skilled Forward Similar to: Doug Weight

When it comes to player development, there is nothing quite like being in a winning environment. With that in mind, there couldn’t possibly be a better scenario for Rob Schremp this year. As a member of the London Knights, the OHL team that recently rewrote the CHL record book, Schremp has taken his game to the next level.

Schremp has put the negative criticisms and unwarranted character attacks of last year in the rearview mirror and after a summer of incredibly hard work he is force-feeding his critics a rather large slice of humble pie. After three months of OHL action, no one can doubt the 18-year-old’s offensive ability and many are now commenting on Schremp’s exceptional defensive play as well.

“In one game I saw London play, Robbie was caught at the end of a three-minute shift and still chased down Cody Bass and pushed him right into the net knowing that he had to catch the trailer because he was going to get the puck,†said one scout. “I’ve seen him do this night after night; every game he has come back and pushed somebody who was a real possible threat into the net.â€

The charismatic center points to practice sessions with Kelly Buchberger during the rookie camp for much of his newly found defensive awareness. Everyday, despite being the first forward on the ice, Schremp could be seen spending extra time with the former Oiler captain going over the finer points of defensive play. The extra work has paid huge dividends.

Schremp has been playing with linemates that vary from Dylan Hunter, Corey Perry (ANH) and David Bolland (CHI) to lesser-known rookies like Jordan Foreman and Kelly Thompson so the fact that he is third in league scoring cannot be solely pinned on being a part of the top line.

Undeniably, many of his points and the majority of his goals, are coming while on London’s power play which may be the most potent special teams unit seen in Canada since Swift Current’s prowess in the late 1980’s.

After attending the Oilers rookie camp in September, the organization told Schremp that they would like to see him shoot more often. Clearly he has taken that advice to heart as he is already nearing his career best for goals in a season, 28, a mark which he will utterly destroy this year. His play this year made it impossible for Team USA to keep him off of the host team for the World Junior Championships. With that tournament on the immediate horizon as well as a guaranteed birth into the Memorial Cup this spring, the rest of 2004-05 could be the stuff dreams are made of.

You are more than entitled to your own opinion, and quite obviously I can't tell you that what you say you saw is inaccurate, but what I can say is that you are fast becoming the minority opinion when it comes to evaluating Schremps talent and commitment to getting better, shedding the bad boy, malcontent, selfish team member. He may be the 13th forward, but unlike what most people expected of him, he is not causing a distraction, and he is accepting his role.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
RoyIsALegend said:
Just remember that the guy who starts the tournament as the 13th forward almost never, ever finishes the tournament as the 13th forward.

Truer words have never been spoken. Schremp got more ice last night. If the coaches are happy with his game, he'll continue to get more ice. Although I do think Schremp's absence from last year's team was not based entirely on performance, he's on the team now and no one will be looking to keep a productive player off the ice.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I've read a few posts saying Shremp is over-hyped... and I've noticed some of them coming from Flames fans. Talk about hypocritical. The most over-hyped player by far in this tournament is Dion Phaneuf. He must be Pierre Mcguire's illigitimate love child, but I doubt if Pierre even gushes over his own kid as much.

Enough already. Between Phaneuf, Carter, Crosby and Richards, I'm wondering if there are any other players even playing for Team Canada in this tournament.

sidelines

I watched most of the game today on TSN, besides the last about 12:00 minutes of the third period. I'll point out a few things I noticed.

With about 20 seconds left in the first period, when the Swiss were pressing, Schremp made two very good, but many not very noticeable defensive plays. The first one, he came back hard from the other end, and tied up his man very well in front of the net for a good 5 seconds, taking that player out of the play. He then skated away from that player to the top of the circle, blocked a shot by the Swiss d-man, and then cleared the puck out of the zone. If you played minor hockey, you probably know that its the centers job to watch the extra forward on the opposing team. Robbie obviously knows what he is doing, as he did just that.

cazzy

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Question:
This is the first time I've been able to see Robbie play. Does he celebrate EVERY goal that he scores like it's the game seven, triple overtime winner in the Stanley Cup finals? Just wondering...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
cazzy said:
Question:
This is the first time I've been able to see Robbie play. Does he celebrate EVERY goal that he scores like it's the game seven, triple overtime winner in the Stanley Cup finals? Just wondering...
One of the things I like most about him. He gets so excited after his team scores, not just his own goals. Did anyone see him after the final buzzer against Russia? He was only on the ice for a few minutes, but it didn't seem like there was a happier person in the building.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
For whatever reason, the majority of the people posting on these boards can not take any criticisim of Robbie Schremp. It seems like they almost take it as a personal attack, so either Robbie's entire family is posting here or he has some very sensitive fans. I think I mentioned how skilled Schremp is with the puck, he has great vision and is dangerous every time he gets the puck around the net. I think I also said it looks like he is trying in the defensive zone, HOWEVER trying and doing is a different thing. Yes, he is getting better at playing a two-way game but he is not there yet. I actually hope Schremp becomes the player you all think he is. If USA hockey is going to succeed in the years to come Robbie Schremp will have to contribute on BOTH ends of the ice.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
LemonDrop_27 said:
For whatever reason, the majority of the people posting on these boards can not take any criticisim of Robbie Schremp. It seems like they almost take it as a personal attack, so either Robbie's entire family is posting here or he has some very sensitive fans. I think I mentioned how skilled Schremp is with the puck, he has great vision and is dangerous every time he gets the puck around the net. I think I also said it looks like he is trying in the defensive zone, HOWEVER trying and doing is a different thing. Yes, he is getting better at playing a two-way game but he is not there yet. I actually hope Schremp becomes the player you all think he is. If USA hockey is going to succeed in the years to come Robbie Schremp will have to contribute on BOTH ends of the ice.
Why is so hard for you and others to admit that all that bad press he got leading up to the draft and asking for a trade out of Mississauga, could have changed him. He was a punk kid, going thru any number of growing pains, and now that he is trying I have to explain that I am not related to him, but rather a fan of a very skilled player. I never dumped on Schremp or O'Sullivan either for that matter. He too had some emotional baggage following him around his draft year. I try to assess talent based on simply that. If he is not a good team guy in the room, or doesn't always have the scripted answers to post game questions that everyone wants to hear, I could really care less at this stage. Young guys with his skill set often have big heads, because they have been told by everyone how great they are since they were little kids. I don't feel I have to protect Schremp, but it tough to constantly hear the same problems coming up, even when it is very obvious by anyone who watches him that he is trying to improve. Yes, I would agree that he is not a defensive stalwart out there, not by a long shot, but to say he scares you whenever he is on his teams side of center for fear of him coughing up the puck and a goal being scored is ridiculous.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
cazzy said:
Question:

he does that goal celebration on one knee with the fist pump ALOT...been doing it since he was like 13, maybe before. Here's a pic of him doing it during his first season with the crunch (99-00)

http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4711&stc=1

Last edited:

dogman15

Dec 28, 2004
Let me provide some impartial information which will help everyone
understand the relationship between Rob Schremp and USA Hockey.

It's important to understand the entire story, because the reality is
that Rob is certainly talented enough to play a regular shift on the
USA Team. And his defense and attitude have improved enough in
the last 12 months that they should not be a reason for reduced
playing time.

The reality is that USA Hockey is a bit a clique and if you piss them off
or rub them the wrong way, they can hold a grudge. Don't get me wrong,
they have done a great job with building a world class USA hockey
program, but everyone knows that they can and do hold grudges.

Anyway, some history to help clear the air...

When Rob was in his OHL draft year, everyone knew Mississagua wanted
to take him first overall. However, the track record of the Ice Dogs and their
previous first round picks was pretty sketchy. Furthemore, the team pretty
much sucked and Don Cherry had not yet named a replacement for himself
behind the bench. So, Rob and his family were pretty worried about
what would happen if the Ice Dogs chose him. So he, hinted that if the
Ice Dogs didn't get their act together and didn't convince him that they
were committed to turning the program around, he'd opt for the USA National
Development Program if the Ice Dogs selected him.

At the same time, USA Hockey were courting Rob to come to their program.

Strike number one - Rob tried to play both ends against each other. And USA Hockey
did not like being used as a bargaining chip for Rob in his dealings with the Ice Dogs.

Fast forward to the following year and you all know the story about Rob's
trade demand and how he went to the USA program while he waited for the
Ice Dogs to trade him. USA Hockey fought tooth and nail with the OHL to
enable Rob to play, in the hopes that he would decide to stay with their
program. Al lot of people in USA hockey stuck their necks out for him.
And of course, as soon as London traded for him, he left USA Hockey.
That was strike two.

And finally, he arrived at last summer's WJC tryouts out of shape and
performed pathetically for someone of his talent. Strike Three - USA
Hockey figured that the least he could do was show up ready to play
and work his way on to the team.

And, as always, their are more layers to the story than I am imparting here
and I don't have all the facts, but I think it's clear that Rob will need to continue
to work his way to a regular shift and to a more amicable relationship
with USA Hockey in general.

Remember, there's a strong chance he'll be back on the US WJC team
next year and he'll be one of the veterans, expected to lead by example.

Thanks for listening.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
dogman15 said:
And finally, he arrived at last summer's WJC tryouts out of shape and
performed pathetically for someone of his talent. Strike Three - USA
Hockey figured that the least he could do was show up ready to play
and work his way on to the team.

Actually you are a year behind. Schremp was in great shape going into both the USA camp and the Oilers Rookie camp at the beginning of the year. The Oilers raved about the shape he was in.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7164

“I got cut last year but they went on with a good squad and won the gold so there’s not much I can say, ‘They should have picked me’? How do you figure when they just won the gold medal?†Schremp laughed while still in Edmonton. “This year I think I have a good shot but I’ll go in with a game plan; last year I could have been in better shape but this year I’ve got my priorities straight and I’m focused.€

dogman15

Dec 28, 2004
Well the story I heard was that after the Oliers camp, he went home
and did nothing but party. And by the time the WJC camp came around,
he had lost some of the "fine tuning" he had done all summer.

Again, getting this second hand, so could be wrong.

Also, interesting picture on USA Hockey's page. Go to
http://www.usahockey.com/2005wjc/main_site/main/2005wjc//
and check out the photo entitled Team USA Celebrates - everyone
looks happy except Schremp. Now maybe the photo just caught
him at the wrong moment - but he doesn't look happy and
it would be easy to discern that he's not showing much team
attitude. And then look at Sandelin - he seems to have a scowl
on his face and it's almost as if he's staring over at Schremp.

Probably reading too much into this photo - but it makse for good copy!

Dogman

Last edited:

Reilly311

dogman15 said:
Well the story I heard was that after the Oliers camp, he went home
and did nothing but party. And by the time the WJC camp came around,
he had lost some of the "fine tuning" he had done all summer.

Again, getting this second hand, so could be wrong.

Also, interesting picture on USA Hockey's page. Go to
http://www.usahockey.com/2005wjc/main_site/main/2005wjc//
and check out the photo entitled Team USA Celebrates - everyone
looks happy except Schremp. Now maybe the photo just caught
him at the wrong moment - but he doesn't look happy and
it would be easy to discern that he's not showing much team
attitude. And then look at Sandelin - he seems to have a scowl
on his face and it's almost as if he's staring over at Schremp.

Probably reading too much into this photo - but it makse for good copy!

Dogman

you mean this photo

http://www.usahockey.com/servlets/FileServlet/relatedDocuments/EC4592EB206B6D55E0340003BA5FE009/team

Maybe Schremp realizes it's just one goal in a round robin game. Nothing to

Oh and you're reading too much into this picture.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
If you are not at least a little frustrated about only playing 5 minutes per game, then you shouldn't be playing.

Of course your gonna be upset, Schremp is doing a great job though of supporting his teammates and not complaining. Your still gonna be upset about not playing no matter how you rationalize it.

Dion Mustard*

That article was written by Jim Cressman. He is a hack, and only writes puff pieces about London Knight players. No reputable hockey person takes anything he say's seriously. He's a waste of skin. This is a writer who helped try and cover up a ex-Knights drunk driving charge, and came up with some piss poor excuse as to why Corey Perry was cut from last year's team (and it had nothing to do with his weak skating or his poor play play at the evaluation camp)

I would highly recommend nobody take anything he say's seriously, or hold it to any value.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
That article was written by Jim Cressman. He is a hack, and only writes puff pieces about London Knight players. No reputable hockey person takes anything he say's seriously. He's a waste of skin. This is a writer who helped try and cover up a ex-Knights drunk driving charge, and came up with some piss poor excuse as to why Corey Perry was cut from last year's team (and it had nothing to do with his weak skating or his poor play play at the evaluation camp)

I would highly recommend nobody take anything he say's seriously, or hold it to any value.

Whats wrong with the articles? The first one just states that Schremp is playing for the US & is not considered one of the "go-to guys". And the second is a "puff" piece regarding O'Sullivan overcoming some hardcore abuse at the hands of his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->