robbie schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Rejean31 said:
If you live in the Edmonton area and are drinking the K-Lowe kool-aid then you think Schremp is the second coming of Gretzky. The Oilers hype machine is fueled up and firing on all cylinders for this Schremp kid. Everyone else, however, has big question marks when it comes to him.
His offensive talent is undeniable.

It's ridiculous that he's the 13th forward. As good as Kessel looked, Schremp right now is way better than Kessel and most other USA forwards. Fritsche, O'Sullivan, and Bourque are the only 3 I'd put ahead of Robbie.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
London Knights said:
TSN drools all over itself. They have been going on and on about how great Team Canada is...and while the team is incredibly deep, if this is the best team they have ever put together, that it does not say all that much about Canadian hockey because there are only a few superstars in the making on this team.

They obviously haven't watched what Rob has done in London this year. He is an offensively minded player. Would you bench a Jaromir Jagr, an Alexander Mogilny, a Marian Gaborik in a critical situation? You would be mad to, and Schremp, while I am not comparing his skill level to the proven stars of the NHL, has the same capability to create a scoring opportunity - and make good on his opportunity.

These are the same comments that were used to describe him 3 years ago and absolutely do not reflect the changes in his game.
You can **** on TSN all you want but they are not changing the lines for the US. You may want to ask Sandelin and his crew why Schremp is the 13th forward. I bet its because of the reasons TSN mentioned. They are not yet comfortable giving him a regular shift but they may feed him a little here and there, giving him a chance to move up. He is a good club to have in the bag when you need a tough chip.

Sammy*

London Knights said:
TSN drools all over itself. They have been going on and on about how great Team Canada is...and while the team is incredibly deep, if this is the best team they have ever put together, that it does not say all that much about Canadian hockey because there are only a few superstars in the making on this team.

What in gods name does this paragraph have to do with Scremp?You are such a Schremp apologist. Now I suppose its the US coaches who are screwing over poor ol Robbie.
In your world, is Robbie ever at fault for not getting primo ice time or his props?
And oh, exactly how many "superstars in the making" do you think should be on any team for it to be really strong?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
MeffyuhTJRest said:
From what I've heard, a lot of the "attitude" problem rumors go back to the fact that he asked for a trade from Mississauga because the new gm or coach had mistreated his brother and he felt uncomfortable playing in that situation. Since he's gotten to London, I've read nothing but articles that haved chronicled his efforts to dispel those rumors.
Can anybody find an article from the past year that discusses Schremp continually being a morale buster or anythign like that? (NOt a call-out or anything, I'm just curious)

As for last night, the US offence looked pretty good. Excellent chemistry on all 4 lines for the most part. The D was suspect and they might have wanted to go with a few players who were better at a two way game. Robbie looked good when he was on the ice for the PP.
Personally, I recall questions about his attitude way before he asked for a trade.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
If you live in the Edmonton area and are drinking the K-Lowe kool-aid then you think Schremp is the second coming of Gretzky. The Oilers hype machine is fueled up and firing on all cylinders for this Schremp kid. Everyone else, however, has big question marks when it comes to him.

Yeah, it's almost as out-of-hand as those Flames fans who think Chucko is Bertkachuk.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
rt said:
I like Robbie Schremp alot. It seems to me, based on the things I've read, that he catches alot of ***** just because he doesn't give the ever popular cliched awe schucks responses. He's little cocky and he speaks his mind. Those qualities always endear people to me, rather than scare me off.

Kinda like your president ;)

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Mr Bugg said:
Yeah, it's almost as out-of-hand as those Flames fans who think Chucko is Bertkachuk.

I dont know any flames fans who think that...

just because we say he has the potential to be a power foward doesn't mean we think he's going to be bertuzzi...

heck, jason boterill is a power forward and he isn't even a regular NHLer

se7en*

Mr Bugg said:

OR Phaneuf=Orr. (Just joking Flames fans, but if anyone is drinking Kool-Aid, its Rejean31, it appears to be the bitter variety) And lets be realistic, no Oilers fan thinks Schremp the Next One. :snide:

I have nothing to add to what's been said already except that I am pleased to hear that fans from the USA and London who watched Robbie were pleased with what they saw. Thank you for taking your time to post your input and I look forward to reading what you have to say about Robbie in the future. :)

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
And about Schremp... there is without question that he is one of the most skilled players on the team.. probably in the top 10 for skill in the tournament as well..

so why isn't he getting regular minutes?? its quite simple... its his work ethic and attention to defense... more importantly, his attitude during practice will determine whether or not the coach likes him and decides to play him more

it doesn't matter how much skill a guy has... if he doesn't have the right head, he's not going to be successful in the NHL (assuming he makes it)

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
chriss_co said:
And about Schremp... there is without question that he is one of the most skilled players on the team.. probably in the top 10 for skill in the tournament as well..

so why isn't he getting regular minutes?? its quite simple... its his work ethic and attention to defense... more importantly, his attitude during practice will determine whether or not the coach likes him and decides to play him more

it doesn't matter how much skill a guy has... if he doesn't have the right head, he's not going to be successful in the NHL (assuming he makes it)
But Hockey USA didn't even want to pick him in the first place. What about it doesn't matter how hard he tries, Hockey USA will still not give him additional minutes. Simply put, Hockey USA doesn't like Schremp.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
London Knights said:

They obviously haven't watched what Rob has done in London this year. He is an offensively minded player. Would you bench a Jaromir Jagr, an Alexander Mogilny, a Marian Gaborik in a critical situation? You would be mad to, and Schremp, while I am not comparing his skill level to the proven stars of the NHL, has the same capability to create a scoring opportunity - and make good on his opportunity.

These are the same comments that were used to describe him 3 years ago and absolutely do not reflect the changes in his game.

Its really no different for Corey Perry .. He too is/was the 13th forward on Canada when the tourney began, until Jeremy Colliton got hurt ..

As a london Nights fan you must feel the equal discrimination there NO??

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Hemsky83 said:
But Hockey USA didn't even want to pick him in the first place. What about it doesn't matter how hard he tries, Hockey USA will still not give him additional minutes. Simply put, Hockey USA doesn't like Schremp.
I don't usually agree with Hemsky83 but I will here. Schremp has worked very hard on his defensive play this season and even Hunter has said that he has improved by leaps and bounds in this regard. It seems as though the US management team just doesn't like Schremp very much and I'm hoping that his play eventually forces them to play more regularly...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No he didn't play except when Team USA was on the powerplay. They maybe why you didn't notice much of him because really there wasn't much of him

that's what i thought, but people were talking about how they liked what they saw of him and all, i assumed i missed something cuz i only saw him out there for one shift. i mean it's great he took advantage and scored that goal...but it didn't really showcase anything except his shot. i'd like to see a players ability to skate, make plays, and all around play the game before i say they looked really good out there.

I don't usually agree with Hemsky83 but I will here. Schremp has worked very hard on his defensive play this season and even Hunter has said that he has improved by leaps and bounds in this regard. It seems as though the US management team just doesn't like Schremp very much and I'm hoping that his play eventually forces them to play more regularly...

i don't think any of us are privelidged enough to see the team USA practices and all, are we? for all we know, schremp may not have been impressive at all in his tryouts, and may not look that good in practices, etc.

ChowsBaby21

Jul 2, 2002
Never never land
Visit site
My little brother played with Robbie in Syracuse a few years back, and as far as his attitude goes, I never really saw it. I mean he was a 14 or 15 year old kid and people were talking back then about him going in the 1st round when he was eligible and stuff like that, and he was noticibly a little on the cocky side, but what 14 year old boy, who has a great talent, and is a good looking kid isn't cocky? You all remember the high school jocks. My brother has talked to him a few times since the draft and said that he doesn't think he's changed much, and that he thinks he's getting the rap of having a bad attitude because he is cocky.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
the bottom line:

I'd like to see what Schremp could do as much as anyone...but all of us Joe Nobodies here at home speculating about it probably don't know the situation as well as the well-experienced, well-knowledged coaches. To suggest it's political seems kind of silly. These tournaments are important, and it seems silly to think that they're 'teaching him a lesson.' If they were interested in vindicating themselves for Schremp's "past behavior," he would have been left off the team. Schremp will hopefully play a bigger role today(as will Lee) against a lesser opponent, but if he doesn't...I'll accept that there was a reason for it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Cerebral said:

Yeah, they hate him so much that he was named to the team and inserted into the line-up. :shakehead God forbid players actually have to fit into a team concept and earn their minutes..... :shakehead

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
nomorekids said:
the bottom line:

I'd like to see what Schremp could do as much as anyone...but all of us Joe Nobodies here at home speculating about it probably don't know the situation as well as the well-experienced, well-knowledged coaches. To suggest it's political seems kind of silly. These tournaments are important, and it seems silly to think that they're 'teaching him a lesson.' If they were interested in vindicating themselves for Schremp's "past behavior," he would have been left off the team. Schremp will hopefully play a bigger role today(as will Lee) against a lesser opponent, but if he doesn't...I'll accept that there was a reason for it.

Well, I watched the draft on ESPN this past summer. Of course w/ the supprises, Schwartz, Turk., there was a lot of talk about why some fell and some were on the rise. At about 20th pick, one of the announcers stated that Schremp was falling due to interviews. He like to use certain four letter words on a regular basis - which you don't do in polite company....

As for his role on team USA, part of it may be due to speed. He isn't the fastest skater, and team USA seems to care about one thing, and that is speed. We sacraficed a lot of size, especially on D, for speed and puck movement. Will this pay off? I don't know.

Maybe if the US had been down by 2 goals, RS would have been put onto a line and given time. Or maybe if it was a more controlled game, not as much free wheeling, he would have received more time. It looked like pond hockey, for about the first 2 periods - great game to watch.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Agree

I used to know Robbie before he went to canada. I have to agree with Ranger.

Yes, there is bad blood with Robbie and USA Hockey. Much of which has been discussed here before and on other message boards. The trade soap opera played heavily into this. When he left Mississauga he was briefly practicing with USA hockey. He abruptly left USA hockey for London when the trade transpired. Only Robbie, London, Mississauga and team USA knows what really occurred during this time. I'd wager that it didn't make any of the USA hockey staff happy along the way.

We all need to let quit rehashing the past "next superstar" hype and "bad boy" gossip associated with Robbie. Just evaluate him as a player right now, as we see him play. Not on message board tripe or personal feelings.

Bottom line is they added Robbie to the team because of his scoring skill and Hunter's recommendation. This is a play your way into the lineup chance for him. Show us your team skills. You can only show so much in few practices. Playing him alot in game one against the russians was too risky for the coaches. The rest of the kids are known commodities to them. He will likely get more of a look tonight. To see if his 2 way play has really improved.

He's not a bad kid. I hope he keeps his attitude positive. Then he will play like he can and see more playing time. If he doesn't, he will blow a prime oppurtunity. I wish both team USA and Robbie good luck.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
The Messenger said:
"know he can bust a game wide open for you"

That line is what I bet has the USA coach concerned as you did not specify which direction or for which team it would break open for..

Robbie while extremely gifted offensively is a Defensive liabilty and the annoucers on TSN said "he was not buying into the coaches system and until he puts the team before himself he will remain the 13th forward" ..
While I can appreciate what you say, I have seen quite a bit of the London Knights this season, and Robbie has bought into Hunter's system very nicely. He is not only getting it done offensively, which is no surprise, but he is back checking and really thinking the game through every shift. I can understand the USA coaching staff wanting to bring him along slowly, but if they chose him on Hunter's recommendation, then they no doubt got the message from Hunter, to give him every opportunity to prove he belongs on the ice, not only on the PP. It has been said on these boards time and again, that Schremp is cocky and selfish and marches to his own drum, but I think he has matured, and is continuing to open his eyes to the bigger picture, and that is to be a team player, to do whatever he can to help the team win, night in and night out. I don't think it is fair to keep throwing in the selfish, no chemistry, no team work jabs at his character. Here is an incredibly gifted young man, who is just trying to play the game and if given the opportunity, he will prove everybody who doubts him wrong.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, they hate him so much that he was named to the team and inserted into the line-up. :shakehead God forbid players actually have to fit into a team concept and earn their minutes..... :shakehead
Thank god some sanity prevails.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
nomorekids said:
the bottom line:

This would be true, however, they could not leave him off the team after what he has been doing in the OHL this season. Hunter was no doubt approached by USA hockey and having heard all of their concerns, he obviously believes in Schremp enough to give his recommendation. I feel USA hockey is a better team for having chosen him and before all is done, he will prove himself worthy in this tournament.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Edmonton Sun

Mon, December 27, 2004

Unlucky 13 for Robbie

He's lighting up the OHL, but Oiler draft pick is 13th forward for U.S.
By JIM CRESSMAN, SUN MEDIA

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- Dan Fritsche knows how Robbie Schremp feels right now. Fritsche went through this last year with the U.S. team at the world junior hockey championship - sitting on the bench after spending the first 2 1/2 months of the season in the NHL with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Schremp, an Edmonton Oilers draft pick, came to the 2005 world juniors leading the OHL in goals with 26, and power-play goals with 15, while sitting third overall with 51 points for the London Knights. But here he's the 13th forward.

Saturday night, in the defending champions' opener against Russia, Schremp got two shifts, both on power plays, and scored on his first at 3:15 of the second period. The U.S. won 5-4 with Fritsche, of the Sarnia Sting, scoring twice.

It was a huge victory for the Americans as Russia is likely their toughest opponent in the round robin.

But Schremp wants to play a role and it's easy to see he's not pleased.

"It's tough when you're not on a line, so I'm just filling in on different drills," he said after yesterday's practice. "It's an honour to be here, but it's tough not playing much. But it's happened before (benched by Knights coach Dale Hunter during last season's Western Conference final), so I know how to deal with it.

"All I can do is work hard in practice and hopefully take advantage of my opportunities."

U.S. head coach Scott Sandelin, with the University of Minnesota-Duluth, is using Chris Bourque ahead of Schremp on the power play and Bourque has only three goals at Boston University.

"Coming in here we felt Robbie could be a power-play guy for us and right now that's kind of his role," Sandelin said.

"That role can change as the tournament goes on."

Fritsche was in a similar situation last season, playing on the fourth at the beginning, then his ice time increased.

"With Robbie leading the OHL in goals, he would think, and everyone would think, he'd have a much bigger role," he said.

"Right now Robbie's being a good sport about it. He's not saying much."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Puckhead said:
While I can appreciate what you say, I have seen quite a bit of the London Knights this season, and Robbie has bought into Hunter's system very nicely. He is not only getting it done offensively, which is no surprise, but he is back checking and really thinking the game through every shift. I can understand the USA coaching staff wanting to bring him along slowly, but if they chose him on Hunter's recommendation, then they no doubt got the message from Hunter, to give him every opportunity to prove he belongs on the ice, not only on the PP. It has been said on these boards time and again, that Schremp is cocky and selfish and marches to his own drum, but I think he has matured, and is continuing to open his eyes to the bigger picture, and that is to be a team player, to do whatever he can to help the team win, night in and night out. I don't think it is fair to keep throwing in the selfish, no chemistry, no team work jabs at his character. Here is an incredibly gifted young man, who is just trying to play the game and if given the opportunity, he will prove everybody who doubts him wrong.

It really is team USA coach Sandelin decision as to who plays and who does not ..

I think the point everyone is missing is that USA won the game .. They beat one of the strongest teams in the Tourney and so I find it surprising that the coach is questioned for his decisions ... Had they lost .. I could see a lot of Sunday Morning QBing and saying they should have done this and/or done that including taking Schremp off the bench .. In a win however that just doesnt seem right..

The 13th forward is unique to this tourney, in Junior you do not dress that 13th forward or if you do then its at the expense of a Dman ... Team USA lines where playing well together and so why bench or break up any of them ..

I think the motto of this game is .. If it ain't broke don't fix it ....

In another game if his team is behind and the coach needs some offense he may increase Schremp's role ..

I am sure he will get his opportunity before its all over and in a way I believe this is good for Schremp ... This might in fact be the turning point that does put all those negative assesments to bed .. Critics could look back at this tourney and the things that Schremp does not do (like complain, be disruptive etc), and proves he is a team player first, can go a long way both for himself and others, rather than his on ice contribution ... IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->