robbie schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
i dont know if anyone can comment on this, but what is the deal with robbie schremp getting very little time, other then being used on the powerplay? did he have some fall from grace with the coach, or is everyone just catching up to him that quickly. its probably because i kind of grew up hearing about him, being an 86 birthyear playing aaa hockey, i remember when he went 1st overall in the ohl draft, and always think of him as an incredible player still

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
The commentators were saying Schremp was put on the team as "the extra forward," and his sole role is on the PP. I guess the other lines are pretty much set and playing well together.

RoyIsALegend*

Just remember that the guy who starts the tournament as the 13th forward almost never, ever finishes the tournament as the 13th forward.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Is his attitude that bad? There has to be something about him that goes on behind closed doors. I just don't get why everyone hates this kid.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
thats what i was thinking also. he must have done something recently or in the past to piss people off or just has a poor attitude. he played maybe 4 shifts and he still had a goal, his skill is undeniable, i would really like to know what it is about him that gives him this negative image.

Reilly311

Schremp was a question mark to even make the team. He better not have expected to get top line minutes. He has to work hard to get more ice time. There's nothing wrong with having a little depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
#66 said:
Is his attitude that bad? There has to be something about him that goes on behind closed doors. I just don't get why everyone hates this kid.

From what I've heard, a lot of the "attitude" problem rumors go back to the fact that he asked for a trade from Mississauga because the new gm or coach had mistreated his brother and he felt uncomfortable playing in that situation. Since he's gotten to London, I've read nothing but articles that haved chronicled his efforts to dispel those rumors.
Can anybody find an article from the past year that discusses Schremp continually being a morale buster or anythign like that? (NOt a call-out or anything, I'm just curious)

As for last night, the US offence looked pretty good. Excellent chemistry on all 4 lines for the most part. The D was suspect and they might have wanted to go with a few players who were better at a two way game. Robbie looked good when he was on the ice for the PP.

Rejean31

Aug 14, 2003
Drunken Alley
Visit site
If you live in the Edmonton area and are drinking the K-Lowe kool-aid then you think Schremp is the second coming of Gretzky. The Oilers hype machine is fueled up and firing on all cylinders for this Schremp kid. Everyone else, however, has big question marks when it comes to him.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Rejean31 said:
If you live in the Edmonton area and are drinking the K-Lowe kool-aid then you think Schremp is the second coming of Gretzky. The Oilers hype machine is fueled up and firing on all cylinders for this Schremp kid. Everyone else, however, has big question marks when it comes to him.

:handclap:

Excellent remark, and an even better avatar. If only we had more level-headed posters like you on this board.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i commented on this over on the oilers board...

originally, from what I heard, schremp and kessel would be dueling for the last spot...and i'd be horrified if kessel was removed after his performance last night. younger or not, kessel was one of the best forwards for either team. i WOULD, however, like to see schremp in over someone like mike brown or maybe shawn weller. chris bourque proved he belonged as well, so trading him out with schremp doesn't make sense, either.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Pensfan86 said:
i dont know if anyone can comment on this, but what is the deal with robbie schremp getting very little time, other then being used on the powerplay? did he have some fall from grace with the coach, or is everyone just catching up to him that quickly. its probably because i kind of grew up hearing about him, being an 86 birthyear playing aaa hockey, i remember when he went 1st overall in the ohl draft, and always think of him as an incredible player still
He is incredible and is more than likely the most skilled guy on this team... he did have a falling out of sorts with USA hockey in the 2003 tournament when they said he was going to be on the team as a 16 year old.. then they cut him..

last year he said he wouldn't play and thye wouldn't take him..

IMO hes the2nd best player on this team behind O'Sullivan

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
ktownhockey said:
He is incredible and is more than likely the most skilled guy on this team... he did have a falling out of sorts with USA hockey in the 2003 tournament when they said he was going to be on the team as a 16 year old.. then they cut him..

last year he said he wouldn't play and thye wouldn't take him..

IMO hes the2nd best player on this team behind O'Sullivan

i don't think he's better than danny fritsche. that guy is pretty incredible, and for me to say that about a BJs prospect is something ;)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The two top offensive lines, O'Sullivan-Stafford-Bourque and Fritsche-Porter-Kessel, played well together and had a lot of ice time so who is Schremp supposed to replace? Hensick is a player who I know has more to offer than he showed in this game but he didn't get too much ice time either. Dowell's line got time and didn't do that much with it offensivly but they were fairly solid in their defensive role. Maybe they can try and get Schremp, Hensick, Callahan and Pineault out there a little more in the next games where they might not need a dedicated checking line.

Sammy*

Rejean31 said:
Your way off the mark here. I hardly think its the Oiler hype machine. Its the hype machine of many American posters as well as London posters who think this guy is the second coming & have whined & whined about how he constantly gets the shaft & doesnt get his deserved respect
This all started long before the Oilers ever drafted the guy.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Personally, I don't know why the stigma of his attitude still hangs around him. He was 16 when he made his statements and was upset that his coach was fired because the team sucked, and looking at the IceDogs at the time, aside from Schremp, very few coaches could have done better.

Since being in London, there have not been attitude problems. He was an offensive player, and that wasn't really expected of him in Mississauga. He got benched during the playoffs by Dale, and because of what he did in Toronto the rumours started that he was going to demand a trade. None of it was true, and any of it came directly from the media, because Schremp took it well and got the message that he had to improve his two-way game to get top minutes in critical situations. He did exactly that over the offseason, and has put together a great campaign in the OHL.

Attitude is something that gets thrown around far too much by people when judging Schremp and it is mainly from people who have absolutely no contract with the person, or his organization. I have had the pleasure of talking with Rob on several occassions over his stay in London, and he has matured a great deal over his time in the city.

People sometimes forget that we are talking about kids still, but we expect 16 year old hockey players to be significantly more mature than others at the same age. People make mistakes in life, and say stupid things, it doesn't mean that 2 years later they are the same person.

As for Edmonton hyping Rob up. They have every right to. If your franchise was able to get a "steal" pick like that in the 20's of the NHL entry draft, you better be celebrating it. Is he Gretzky, heck no. But he is a guy who can score at will, and players who can score at will, providing they make the transition to the NHL, are very special players.

The top 2 lines of the US team are pretty deep, although I was surprised with the limited ice-time for Schremp. I guess with a 5-4 win the offense wasn't the problem of the game, so there really isn't a need to make drastic changes to the top lines at this point in the tournament.
Rob did score a goal, and he continues that, or the team struggles to get it going then his ice-time will increase.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The only time I heard schremp's name was when he scored...not a bad time to hear it, but did he get any icetime at all besides that shift? :dunno: he seemed absolutely invisible if he did...but maybe i just wasn't paying enough attention

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
nice post, london knights. i think you've got some pretty insightful comments there.

with regards to RS ice time versus russia...

i truly was suprised to see him used so sparingly. even when perry hadn't worked his way on the to the SC/PB line, Sutter was at least using him on a regular shift in addtion to the PP. I think there's some room for something similar on the USA roster outside the top-two lines, as they really looked effective.

i don't think i counted more than 5 or 6 shifts for RS. and he actually scored on his second shift, which came early in the second period. that's noteworthy. often it takes high skill players some shifts to find their groove. for a top scorer playing on the best junior team in canada, having to sit 1/3 of his first international WJC game on the bench and then 'score on demand' on the pp. i don't think a lot of junior aged players could do similar in such a pressure situation.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
MeffyuhTJRest said:
From what I've heard, a lot of the "attitude" problem rumors go back to the fact that he asked for a trade from Mississauga because the new gm or coach had mistreated his brother and he felt uncomfortable playing in that situation. Since he's gotten to London, I've read nothing but articles that haved chronicled his efforts to dispel those rumors.
Can anybody find an article from the past year that discusses Schremp continually being a morale buster or anythign like that? (NOt a call-out or anything, I'm just curious)

As for last night, the US offence looked pretty good. Excellent chemistry on all 4 lines for the most part. The D was suspect and they might have wanted to go with a few players who were better at a two way game. Robbie looked good when he was on the ice for the PP.

Its funny how both Spezza and O'Sullivan requested to be traded out of Mississauga, yet you dont see a lot of people throwing that back in their faces like with Schremp

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BMWM3owner said:
Its funny how both Spezza and O'Sullivan requested to be traded out of Mississauga, yet you dont see a lot of people throwing that back in their faces like with Schremp

Did you catch what happened to O'Sullivan in his draft year ??? ..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Robbie Schremp alot. It seems to me, based on the things I've read, that he catches alot of ***** just because he doesn't give the ever popular cliched awe schucks responses. He's little cocky and he speaks his mind. Those qualities always endear people to me, rather than scare me off.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
RoyIsALegend said:
Just remember that the guy who starts the tournament as the 13th forward almost never, ever finishes the tournament as the 13th forward.
Well put! I feel the same way, and watching the U.S. play against the Russians I am very sure that when the round robin is over, and they enter the elimination portion of the tourney Schremp will be getting a regular shift. You can't have someone on your team with that kind of skill and desire to play, and not use him, when you know he can bust a game wide open for you.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Puckhead said:
Well put! I feel the same way, and watching the U.S. play against the Russians I am very sure that when the round robin is over, and they enter the elimination portion of the tourney Schremp will be getting a regular shift. You can't have someone on your team with that kind of skill and desire to play, and not use him, when you know he can bust a game wide open for you.

"know he can bust a game wide open for you"

That line is what I bet has the USA coach concerned as you did not specify which direction or for which team it would break open for..

Robbie while extremely gifted offensively is a Defensive liabilty and the annoucers on TSN said "he was not buying into the coaches system and until he puts the team before himself he will remain the 13th forward" ..

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Levitate said:
The only time I heard schremp's name was when he scored...not a bad time to hear it, but did he get any icetime at all besides that shift? :dunno: he seemed absolutely invisible if he did...but maybe i just wasn't paying enough attention
No he didn't play except when Team USA was on the powerplay. They maybe why you didn't notice much of him because really there wasn't much of him :)

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
The Messenger said:
"know he can bust a game wide open for you"

That line is what I bet has the USA coach concerned as you did not specify which direction or for which team it would break open for..

Robbie while extremely gifted offensively is a Defensive liabilty and the annoucers on TSN said "he was not buying into the coaches system and until he puts the team before himself he will remain the 13th forward" ..

TSN drools all over itself. They have been going on and on about how great Team Canada is...and while the team is incredibly deep, if this is the best team they have ever put together, that it does not say all that much about Canadian hockey because there are only a few superstars in the making on this team.

They obviously haven't watched what Rob has done in London this year. He is an offensively minded player. Would you bench a Jaromir Jagr, an Alexander Mogilny, a Marian Gaborik in a critical situation? You would be mad to, and Schremp, while I am not comparing his skill level to the proven stars of the NHL, has the same capability to create a scoring opportunity - and make good on his opportunity.

These are the same comments that were used to describe him 3 years ago and absolutely do not reflect the changes in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->