Robbie Schremp Will Make Many Of You Eat Your Words...

zednik20

Aug 8, 2003
Montreal
It seems like 95% of you on this board thinks that he won't avereage a PPG in the AHL let alone make any kind of an impact in the NHL. If he makes it full-time in the NHL this year 50+ points isn't out of the question, and if not 1.5+ PPG won't be out of the question in the AHL.

how do you eat words ?....

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Skating isn't going to be the big inhibitor for Schremp that some like to claim. The main issue will be whether the Oilers organization allows him to freelance and do "his thing."
Exxxactly! Give Rob Brown and Jimmy Carson some freelance room in a good setting, and they were 50-goal/100-pt players in the NHL. It's not just playing with/behind Lemieux or Yzerman either, they had point-per-game bursts in multiple settings. Eventually the freelancing opportunities went away, and they went away too. But Schremp is coming in at a good time when freelancing opportunities ought to be up again. And he's got a creative guy like Hemsky around for a long time on the PP.

(Note that this isn't meant to imply that he has no defensive sense or work ethic or whatever as the ultra-sensitive Schremp supporters are attuned to counterattacking on... au contraire, I think he has tons of work ethic, and if he concentrates on his defense he can get the job done there too. But it would probably be at the expense of any massive point totals you want to see from him. So supportive coaching and PP time are still essential to that.)

As for Kostitsyn vs. Schremp... hmmm... :dunno:

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
There's a reason for that: he's a white trash American that just so happens to have god-like ability with the puck and isn't afraid to let others know it. If that isn't a lightning rod for criticism in hockey circles I don't know what is.
He seemed cool when i played with him:dunno:

I can see a little hickish, but white trash :shakehead

Last edited:

Sammy*

Yep, sad isn't it?
You like guys like T.O.?
I personally cant stand guys with big mouths, whether they back it up or not.
Personally, I find it sad that people actually do like guys like that.

Sammy*

Skating isn't going to be the big inhibitor for Schremp that some like to claim. The main issue will be whether the Oilers organization allows him to freelance and do "his thing."
I gotta sdisagree with you. Anytrime I have seen that guy against elite competition (the WJC, training camp/games with the Oilers), his skating imo seems really inadequate. Like not quick & not fast.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I gotta sdisagree with you. Anytrime I have seen that guy against elite competition (the WJC, training camp/games with the Oilers), his skating imo seems really inadequate. Like not quick & not fast.

I think the same. He's a below-average skater and I'm not sure he's got the strenght to make up for the lack of speed. Anyways, I guess we'll see what he does at the professional level sooner than later.

Sammy*

I think the same. He's a below-average skater and I'm not sure he's got the strenght to make up for the lack of speed. Anyways, I guess we'll see what he does at the professional level sooner than later.

I agree with you on the strength issue, but thats a little more understandable as when I watched him play for the Oil he's was a kid playing against men, & that can change easier imo than the skating issue.

Traktor*

Wow.. This is like questioning T. Owens talent because of his attitude. For the poster who said he has a bad work ethic obvious doesn't know anything about Schremp. Schremps entire career he has been proving people wrong, and he is going to do it again. Im happy that Schremp shot a puck at the bench. The only thing that matters in his life is winning. Hockey is his life. He is rudy rudiger on skates and he is going to make alot of you look Stupid. And if Penner gets his own thread why wouldnt Schremp, as Schremp has a hell of alot more potential than Penner... Anyways, you are right that Schremp wont average 1.5 points a game in the AHL... its pretty hard to score in the AHL when you are putting up points with the big club.

So is the 1 month skating lessons every year in the summer in the middle of nowhere what you were talking about a poor work ethic? Or what it the fact that he plays 30 plus a game in every role possible in the O?

What a joke.. Schremps scores 47 points in 19 playoff games but he has a poor work ethic and bad attitude? So your saying that if Schremp gave 100 percent he would be getting 4 to 5 points a game? When your scoring 3 points a game what more can you expect from a guy? When you are already up 7-1 would you backcheck 100 percent? Probably not, as it is not needed. Anyways this is a great thread as we can root out all the non believers for future crow BBQ.

Traktor*

Wow, to think he score nearly 3 points a game and can't even skate.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
yoo

You are an excited over zealous Oilers fan....and good on you...nor harm in backing you boy....and Schremp has immense pure skill.....so does Stephen Weiss or Derek Roy or a myriad of other players...

Is Schremps upside superior to theirs? Yah probably but if you think his AHL stats are going to blow Getzlaf and Perry out of the water you've got another thing coming...and whether or not as a rookie Schremp "could" get 50 points we'll never know...because he certainly won't get the ice time...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You like guys like T.O.?
I personally cant stand guys with big mouths, whether they back it up or not.
Personally, I find it sad that people actually do like guys like that.
No, and I don't like Roenick either, for example.

But Schremp doesn't exactly have a big mouth. His cockiness comes out on the ice, and that's fine with me.

Qubax said:
and whether or not as a rookie Schremp "could" get 50 points we'll never know...because he certainly won't get the ice time...

That's a pretty bold statement for August, isn't it?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It seems like 95% of you on this board thinks that he won't avereage a PPG in the AHL let alone make any kind of an impact in the NHL.

Which is really weird because my guess is that 95% of "us on this board" have never made a statement about Schremp at all.

Are you counting us in your "95%" total?

Traktor*

I agree with you on the strength issue, but thats a little more understandable as when I watched him play for the Oil he's was a kid playing against men, & that can change easier imo than the skating issue.

Brett Hull wasn't the greatest skater either.. worked for him.

Sammy*

Wow, to think he score nearly 3 points a game and can't even skate.

Grow up fanboy.
All sorts of guys in the past were not that great skaters & scored a ton in junior but it couldnt translate into the NHL.

Sammy*

No, and I don't like Roenick either, for example.

But Schremp doesn't exactly have a big mouth. His cockiness comes out on the ice, and that's fine with me.
?
I may have misunderstood you. I thought you were acknowledging that he did & found it sad that people dindnt like him for it. I frankly have no idea if he does or doesnt. I just cant stand guys who do have big mouths & its a mystery to me why all sorts of people like guys like that.
And btw, I'm an Oiler fan.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

No, his skating isn't the greatest, but I maintain it won't be a significant issue for him at the NHL level. By all accounts, when he was attending power skating courses and what not, his speed and agility improved considerably. I'd like to see him continue that approach to the game.

Traktor*

I may have misunderstood you. I thought you were acknowledging that he did & found it sad that people dindnt like him for it. I frankly have no idea if he does or doesnt. I just cant stand guys who do have big mouths & its a mystery to me why all sorts of people like guys like that.

Your not wanted.

Traktor*

Your not wanted.

Brule is going to be a bust, He is glass, played 7 games and got busted up... oh by the way.. im a jackets fan.

Sammy*

No, his skating isn't the greatest, but I maintain it won't be a significant issue for him at the NHL level. By all accounts, when he was attending power skating courses and what not, his speed and agility improved considerably. I'd like to see him continue that approach to the game.
Oh, I hope it does. I've seen guys improve their skating rather signifigantly. The issue is that occurence is pretty rare.
All that been said, I could be wrong about his skating. After all, I think an adequate skater may look quite poor against the only competition I have ever seen Schremp play against.

Traktor*

Oh, I hope it does. I've seen guys improve their skating rather signifigantly. The issue is that occurence is pretty rare.
All that been said, I could be wrong about his skating. After all, I think an adequate skater may look quite poor against the only competition I have ever seen Schremp play against.

Edmonton has the fastest, or top 3 fastest teams in the NHL.. I think they can afford to have 1 suspect skater on the team..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad