Robbie Schremp Will Make Many Of You Eat Your Words...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It seems like 95% of you on this board thinks that he won't avereage a PPG in the AHL let alone make any kind of an impact in the NHL. If he makes it full-time in the NHL this year 50+ points isn't out of the question, and if not 1.5+ PPG won't be out of the question in the AHL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, I for one am tired of everyone bashing him, so this thread is to show who's on his bandwagon now before the season starts, and who his detractors are. He has some issues (skating, defensive prowess) but neither are extremely un-common to overcome. It seems as if people look down upon all of our prospects. Call it as you see it, but be un-biased.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Well, I for one am tired of everyone bashing him, so this thread is to show who's on his bandwagon now before the season starts, and who his detractors are. He has some issues (skating, defensive prowess) but neither are extremely un-common to overcome. It seems as if people look down upon all of our prospects. Call it as you see it, but be un-biased.

While i think this is probably an unessicary thread, i do think schremp isnt getting as much attention as he might merit. While he will probably have a struggle at the begining of the year I think whatever league he plays in he will have put up good numbers by the end of the season

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
It seems like 95% of you on this board thinks that he won't avereage a PPG in the AHL let alone make any kind of an impact in the NHL. If he makes it full-time in the NHL this year 50+ points isn't out of the question, and if not 1.5+ PPG won't be out of the question in the AHL.
k

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
For whatever reasons, Schremp doesn't have the best reputation. It's going to be up to him to change that.

Randall Graves*

i'd say shooting a puck at an opposing teams bench should chalk another line on the questionable character column

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
For whatever reasons, Schremp doesn't have the best reputation. It's going to be up to him to change that.

There's a reason for that: he's a white trash American that just so happens to have god-like ability with the puck and isn't afraid to let others know it. If that isn't a lightning rod for criticism in hockey circles I don't know what is.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Schremp plays practically on talent alone, and i seriously don't think he'l be able to that playing with men, he completes his plays way too easily right now, like Daigle did back in the Q

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
There's a reason for that: he's a white trash American that just so happens to have god-like ability with the puck and isn't afraid to let others know it. If that isn't a lightning rod for criticism in hockey circles I don't know what is.

Really, best comparison I have for Schremp is Kyle Wellwood. Great hands, elite on the power play, but not the best skater and will have to learn to adapt his skills in a game with much higher speeds. Schremp has a better shot than Wellwood however.

But I think similar to Wellwood, it'll take a couple of years in the NHL and a lot of hard work for him to become a scorer in the NHL, which is obviously possible. Some might question whether he has the work ethic, which is a fair debate, but he is a bit of a rink rat, so his attitude isn't all bad. It will be interesting to see how he deals with any set backs in his ascent to Edmonton however.

If he cracks the NHL this year and scores 50+ points, I'll tip my hat to him.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Schremp plays practically on talent alone, and i seriously don't think he'l be able to that playing with men, he completes his plays way too easily right now, like Daigle did back in the Q

I am not a scout nor an expert but would that not signify that he is better then the rest and he is ready to step into a more competitive league. It seems that it natural for him to be able to complete plays easily because of his superior skills. Every good player looks like that once he has mastered the game at that level. It is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Really, best comparison I have for Schremp is Kyle Wellwood. Great hands, elite on the power play, but not the best skater and will have to learn to adapt his skills in a game with much higher speeds. Schremp has a better shot than Wellwood however.

But I think similar to Wellwood, it'll take a couple of years in the NHL and a lot of hard work for him to become a scorer in the NHL, which is obviously possible. Some might question whether he has the work ethic, which is a fair debate, but he is a bit of a rink rat, so his attitude isn't all bad. It will be interesting to see how he deals with any set backs in his ascent to Edmonton however.

If he cracks the NHL this year and scores 50+ points, I'll tip my hat to him.

Well, at 5-11 and 200 lbs he already has size on Welldwood.

Kyle wasn't as prolific as Rob in juniors, I don't think anyone is saying that Wellwood has more talent but it should be said that Schremp has got a better skill set.

I think the comparison is fair but I see Schremp's speed as being average, not terrible. His hands and shot and passing are better then average NHL quality already and he is sturdy and thick for being 5-11.

I think he has a chance to compete with Brule for the Calder if he is given the whole season to work with.

As far as his attitude goes, check out what HF's own Guy Flaming had to say.

BY the way, something that might not be public knowledge that happens at the end of a season...

I don't know if it happens in every NHL dressing room or not because I haven't been in any others outside of Edmonton's. In a terrific gesture from the players to the support staff (trainers, stick boys, etc) I've seen a quiet cash collection taken up and given to them for their much unheralded dedication to the team.

Whether or not it happens with every team, like I said, I don't know. I know I've never seen or heard of it happening at a summer camp until this past year when I saw "the hat being passed around". Who do you think was leading the drive to bonus the few guys who worked behind the scenes at the prospect camp?

That's right, the "selfish, cocky, think-of-no-one-but-himself" Mr. Schremp.

Stuff like that doesn't get reported, players might not like it, teams might not like it. But in this case I think it speaks to the character of the player and I think it should be noted.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

really... no kidding?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
You think 1.5PPG+ in the AHL isn't out of the question? Other than Getzlaf and Perry for the Pirates, who tore up the AHL for 30-something games, who's ever done that before?

TVanek26*

You think 1.5PPG+ in the AHL isn't out of the question? Other than Getzlaf and Perry for the Pirates, who tore up the AHL for 30-something games, who's ever done that before?

Derek Roy had 7 goals and 13 assists in 8 games this season for Rochester...not to mention he's a lot better defensively.

(2.5 PPG thats ridiculous)

Also Jason Pominville averaged more then a goal a game...19 goals and 7 assists in 18 games which is almost a 1.5 PPG average and he is also better defensively/on PK then those 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT

So you think he'll put up 120+ points in the AHL? I really doubt he puts up more points then Spezza did in 04-05..

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Derek Roy had 7 goals and 13 assists in 8 games this season for Rochester...not to mention he's a lot better defensively.

(2.5 PPG thats ridiculous)

Also Jason Pominville averaged more then a goal a game...19 goals and 7 assists in 18 games which is almost a 1.5 PPG average and he is also better defensively/on PK then those 2.

That's true but those were also over short stretches. 2.5 ppg over the course of 80 games is much different than 2.5 ppg over 8 games.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yep, sad isn't it?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Can i Have My Words With a Glass Of Milk?

:yo:

Honestly I don't see Schremp becoming that offensive wiz he was in the OHL. Becoming a good second liner is very possible though. He really needs to improve his skating.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yep, sad isn't it?

I don't know about sad. It just so happens to reflect the very conservative culture that permeates hockey. Those that don't resemble Joe Sakic are criticized, whether it's the hot dog Russian , brash American, or "soft" French-Canadian.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
:yo:

Honestly I don't see Schremp becoming that offensive wiz he was in the OHL. Becoming a good second liner is very possible though. He really needs to improve his skating.

Skating isn't going to be the big inhibitor for Schremp that some like to claim. The main issue will be whether the Oilers organization allows him to freelance and do "his thing."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad