Robbie Schremp or Kris Chucko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transported Upstater

Pete Rock said:
I don't think he'd crack in there. He'd go in the top ten to some poor schlep, but I'd rather have:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Olesz
Barker
Wolski
Meszaros
Tukonen

Even at just talent wise. Not that it's an indication of talent, but of those that I listed, only Wolski is playing in a junior league and at least he cracked an NHL line-up for a time. For someone with so much talent, something here says his development isn't really there right now.

Throwing in my two cents here. As someone who lives in Mississauga, I will always think of Rob Schremp as someone with attitude problems. The "I'm taking my net and going home," mentality of a spoiled 10-year old playing street hockey didn't fly with anyone in the city when he walked out on his team.

At least Spezza played when he asked for a trade.

The moment Schremp went #1 to Mississauga in the 2002 OHL draft, I thought that had the potential to blow up in Mississauga's face. His personality at the time wasn't one suited to playing for an (recent) expansion team.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
The way I see it Shremp value is all based on his offense. If that doesn't pan out, he will have a hard time in the NHL. This is the classic boom/bust prospect vs a safe prospect. Potential wise this is how I see it (if both reach their potential).

Shremp = a Briere to Heatly type player in that range
Chucko = a Morrow to Smyth type player in that range

To the guys that say Chucko has the upside of Draper is totally wrong, they don't have the same game.

NOW, I must point out that Chucko will always have bigger size, strength, physical play, leadership, fighting over Shremp. Now Shremp will always have better hands. Right now Chucko is the betetr skater. IMO, it is way to early to judge.

Sadly, Schremp has more likelihood of reaching his potential than Chucko even though Chucko is the one who is seen as the "safe bet."

This season is extremely telling.

Schremp is the biggest offensive threat in the entire CHL right now. He has 52 points in 14 games in the OHL.

Chucko is struggling. He is 8th in scoring in his team, the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Chucko has 0 goals and 6 assists in 10 games while even rookies like Kessel has put up 15 points in 10 games.

Having watched Chucko play at the University of Minnesota, his play has regressed. He is getting less physical and less effective overall. Maybe it is because he hasn't been with his regular linemates or maybe it is personal issues. But at this point, I think his peak potential is probably a 30 point 2nd / 3rd liner.

Schremp has dominated every league he has played in and has gotten better every season. This season he is simply unreal. I'd say he is the closest thing I've seen to a blue-chip prospect. With his dominance and desire, I don't categorize him as a boom-or-bust prospect. The chances of him becoming a 60 point 2nd liner is fairly high.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
flambers said:
To summarize you would pick Marc Savard over a player like Kris Draper.

Bad comparison.

If you compare Robbie Schremp to Savard, Chucko would be more of a Brad May type of a player.

If you compared Chucko to Kris Draper, then Robbie Schremp would be more of a Alexei Yashin type of a player.

I live in Northfield, Minnesota right now and I've seen Kris Chucko play this season. He is unspectacular. 8th in scoring on his team, the Minnesota Golden Gophers. In terms of NHL-ability, I'd probably rank him after Kessel, Goligoski, Wheeler, and Potulny, which isn't good...

Schremp, I'm confident in, will likely make the NHL. He is the best player in the entire CHL right now. 52 points in 14 games is absolutely insane no matter how you look at it.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Jovanovski = Norris said:
This isn't close, Schremp all the way. If I were a NHL general manager choosing a winning team, I'd go for Schremp. Chucko is a nice character guy to have around and a two-way physical second-liner with leadership is valuable, but Schremp has star potential and you can't afford to not take that kind of a gamble with a player who can be a dominant 80 point star 1st liner.

You can teach defense but you can't teach scoring.

This guy has sense. I think that flames fans can't admit that they let one slip away. It is a pride thing, they can't admit that a mistake was made by their GM, well a bunch of other guys passed up on him too. He is a pleasant surprise. Since he has turned on the jets and is making people look bad for not picking him, people have to blow his short comings into huge defaults that completely negate the fact that he has the best scoring touch out side of the NHL right now. If he did average 4 points a game or what ever it is then people would not be so hard on him because of his defense, but since he is scoring so much they have to find something negative about him just so he is not as good as his stats say. It's ridiculous. I wish we could poll the GM's and see what they say, heck, ask sutter and see what he says.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Bad comparison.

If you compare Robbie Schremp to Savard, Chucko would be more of a Brad May type of a player.

If you compared Chucko to Kris Draper, then Robbie Schremp would be more of a Alexei Yashin type of a player.

I live in Northfield, Minnesota right now and I've seen Kris Chucko play this season. He is unspectacular. 8th in scoring on his team, the Minnesota Golden Gophers. In terms of NHL-ability, I'd probably rank him after Kessel, Goligoski, Wheeler, and Potulny, which isn't good...

Schremp, I'm confident in, will likely make the NHL. He is the best player in the entire CHL right now. 52 points in 14 games is absolutely insane no matter how you look at it.

Why isn't it good he is ranked behind Kessel, Wheeler, Potulny and Goligoski a few of these names are highly ranked players. As for the comparision you are right no one can answer this question as we have no idea what type of NHLer Schremp or Chucko will be.

As for Schremp I seen him play in the exhibition games (NHL) and he was not impressive at all. Which does not mean anything as nor does your statement.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Chucko is struggling. He is 8th in scoring in his team, the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Chucko has 0 goals and 6 assists in 10 games while even rookies like Kessel has put up 15 points in 10 games.

Having watched Chucko play at the University of Minnesota, his play has regressed.
I am curious how his play ahs regressed? The coach at the start said Chucko was one of the msot improved players in his overall game from last season. So who do I listen to...you (a poster) or the coach of the team...hmm tough one.

Andrei Kastsitsyn*

I am curious how his play ahs regressed? The coach at the start said Chucko was one of the msot improved players in his overall game from last season. So who do I listen to...you (a poster) or the coach of the team...hmm tough one.

A Poster.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University

The coach says that about everyone. It is all politics and diplomacy. If you had your mind made up about Kris Chucko, maybe you shouldn't be posting at HF, since the posters can't offer you anything.

Chucko's play has regressed. He came to the University of Minnesota last year and played excellent as a freshman. He was hitting everything, giving it all he's got every night. Played with fire, played with desire. Was a fast forward too and scored about 0.5 points for every game. This season, he has lost a lot of his fire and desire. He isn't hitting nearly as hard nor is he hitting as much. He is less effective overall. Despite posting similar point totals, he isn't as good as a player as he was last year nor is he as good as a player as he can be nor is he as a good as a player as you guys envision.

But I'm sure, you'll find someone who has a positive opinion of your beloved Calgary prospect. You can cling on to whatever reality you want.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
flambers said:
Why isn't it good he is ranked behind Kessel, Wheeler, Potulny and Goligoski a few of these names are highly ranked players. As for the comparision you are right no one can answer this question as we have no idea what type of NHLer Schremp or Chucko will be.

As for Schremp I seen him play in the exhibition games (NHL) and he was not impressive at all. Which does not mean anything as nor does your statement.

The difference is, Schremp was unimpressive in the NHL, the highest level of competition in all of hockey. Chucko was unimpressive against 18 - 21 year old NCAA'ers, 95+% of whom won't ever have a sniff at the NHL.

But you're right though, nothing is set in stone. Everything can change.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
Chucko, for the same reason I'd take Stephane Yelle over Mike Ribiero if I wanted to have a winning team

Andrei Kastsitsyn*

sehnsucht said:
Chucko, for the same reason I'd take Stephane Yelle over Mike Ribiero if I wanted to have a winning team

Lol, are you serious?

I would do the complete opposite, Ribeiro is a P.I.M.P

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The Oilers don't need any more Yelle/Chucko types, that's the big difference. They have guys like Stoll, Reasoner and Brodziak to play the PK and do the grind work. Defense is a non-issue among the forward corps for this team, now and in the future.

What we did need, however, was a crackerjack scoring talent. Just the same as you can't win with all offense-type players, you can't win without one of them.

That's where your silly comparison faulters; the Oilers can look forward to promoting at least one incredible offensive talent to the NHL in the next two years (Schremp, Cogliano) to compliment their grinders whereas the Flames can look forward to... Aki Seitsonen?... to compliment the Nystrom/Chucko/Boyd types.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Mr Bugg said:
The Oilers don't need any more Yelle/Chucko types, that's the big difference. They have guys like Stoll, Reasoner and Brodziak to play the PK and do the grind work. Defense is a non-issue among the forward corps for this team, now and in the future.

What we did need, however, was a crackerjack scoring talent. Just the same as you can't win with all offense-type players, you can't win without one of them.

That's where your silly comparison faulters; the Oilers can look forward to promoting at least one incredible offensive talent to the NHL in the next two years (Schremp, Cogliano) to compliment their grinders whereas the Flames can look forward to... Aki Seitsonen?... to compliment the Nystrom/Chucko/Boyd types.

SO Boyd isn't offensive? Last I checked he was near the top in points in the WHL and has the most goals per games as well...what a grinder...

OR Ryder's little brother as well. If he is 1/2 of what his brother is at the NHL, than it will be a solid pick.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Andrei Kastsitsyn said:
I would do the complete opposite, Ribeiro is a P.I.M.P
Oh for the love of everything holy.

And who is Ander Kastsitsyn anyways?

As for the thread title, I'll save this, and hopefully in 4-7 years it is still available to view so Chucko can shove it in few faces.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
The difference is, Schremp was unimpressive in the NHL, the highest level of competition in all of hockey. Chucko was unimpressive against 18 - 21 year old NCAA'ers, 95+% of whom won't ever have a sniff at the NHL.

But you're right though, nothing is set in stone. Everything can change.

Well, okay now he is "unimpressive" against NCAA.... Well anyhow, to end this string, NCAA is more competitive than CHL, as for Shremp vs Chucko only time will tell.

Heavy Fuel

Robbie is gold, :handclap: the Flames hit the jackpot with Dion :cry: , this time its the Oil's turn. :banana:

Not even close. :biglaugh:

Save this and stick it your Mastadon pipe to smoke down the road... :razz:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
And who is Ander Kastsitsyn anyways?

Andrei Kastsitsyn is the Belarusian version of Andrei Kostitsyn, a Habs prospect. But this is more about Schremp and Chucko.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Seachd said:
Andrei Kastsitsyn is the Belarusian version of Andrei Kostitsyn, a Habs prospect. But this is more about Schremp and Chucko.

Naaaa, lets start a new topic. Sergei or Andrei.

My money's on Sergei. He's got the offensive skill and can play the N.A. style game. He's like a poor man's Pavel Bure.

Phanuthier*

sveiglar said:
A more-offensive Nystrom is what I think of when I think of Chucko... and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I don't think he'll look out of place in a top six.
Agreed.

This thread (made by an Oiler fan of coarse) was ment for a landslide win for the Oilers. Schremp's offense and talent has been the headliner of HF for the past year, while the only time Chucko makes the 12th page news of HF was when he was caught in a bar.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Schremp win this one by a landslide, and I'm not going to disagree or anrgue with anyone that pick Schremp, but I think Chucko makes will make the Flames a better team then Schremp (had the Flames picked him).

Phanuthier*

MN_Gopher said:
I know nothing about Schremp first hand. But i have seen Chucko on many occasions. All televised games and every other home game in person. He looked like a bulldozer last year. Pretty much a north and south type player. Lets face it he turned with the puck and he fell down most of the time. This year he has gotten lots better. Is playing PK and is doing just fine. He is not a natural goal scorer. But his hard work in front of the net. His non-liabilty speed and skating, now. And he is one physical player that can hurt the opposition in the open ice. He will be get his regular shifts. And will get his points. It seems he took it personal to work on his skating and passing. And both have improved. Maybe next year it will be his shooting.
I think its safe to say the Chucko is still a very raw player. I remember when Jarome Iginla first started playing in Calgary, he looked like no more then a physical role player who could pot 20-25 goals. I'm not saying that Chucko will be Jarome Iginla, but since he's on Iginla's path (somewhat, in terms of development) that dream projection still is possible. More lately, I've heard comparisons to Ryan Smyth and Adam Deadmarsh, and if he turns out to be as successful as either guy, I'll be happy.

Phanuthier*

nesbit_21 said:
Ask this same question to every GM in the league, see who they'd rather have. I can almost garuntee a unanimous decision for one, Robbie Schremp.
I don't know if you mean now or then, but at the time, it was widely rumoured that had the Flames not taken Chucko, the Oilers were going to take him. But, the Flames took him and Lowe took Schremp, and both teams seem happy with their picks.

So, I guess the Flames can't be that stupid.

Phanuthier*

nesbit_21 said:
Iconoclast, What in your right mind makes you say Schremp has a wavering passion or commitment for the game, ala Brendel, or that he hasnt grown as a player?...Good god, do some of you guys even WATCH hockey? Any one who has been around, or watched Schremp knows that NOBODY loves to play hockey more than him, and NOBODY wants to be a star more than him. Furthermore, what do consider growth as a player? Would you not consider a 30-40 point jump in points in your draft year growth? Almost making an NHL team right out of junior? how about going back to junior, dominating the league like no one has in a long time, carrying a team on your back that recently lost many of its stars, all while making strides in your skating and defensive game...this isnt growth? Wake up folks, lose the Schremp hate on, its silly.

Also, I highly doubt Chucko becomes as good as Brendan Morrow, but thats personal opinion.
While you question Iconoclast, I ahve to ask, what makes you an expert about Kris Chucko?

I'm a Flames fan who tries to follow every tidbit or dogbone thrown at me about Chucko, and I know next to nothing about him. I've watched almost every Salmon Arm Silverback video of him, followed almost every report and read every analysis on him from camp, and barely have a clue what kind fo player he is.

Phanuthier*

ryz said:
Chucko. ...He'll play on the Canadian world junior squad this year. He's said to be a very safe prospect but doesn't have huge offensive upside. He does, however, play the other areas of the game very, very well for a 19 yr old.
Just like I'm sure Oiler fan's don't like the label of Schremp being a cancer, no commitment ect (personally, I really have no idea) I think this is a common misconception of Chucko as well.

Safe? How is picking a BCHL safe, when he plays clearly a league below fellow draftee's? How is it safe to pick a very raw player?

I think Chucko not having a "huge offensive upside" is a common misconception, because of his reputation of intangibles and because he's being brought along very slowly in a NCAA program. Now I'm not saying he has huge offensive potential, or even how much, but to say he's got a low ceiling by what he's showing now is a little pre-mature IMO.

I brought up the old Jarome Iginla future prospects above - take from it however you want. Disregard and call me a homer, fine. Have an open mind, great, that's how I'm taking it. Say there's a direct correlation, I'd say your crazy. :D

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
man, there is rampant silliness in this thread

really tho, its all apples and oranges

I'd take Chucko tho...and to his credit, the U of M ain't playin all that well so far this year, especially the sophomore class...he'll get his tho

Phanuthier*

Wow, I'm just surprised there's actually non-Flames posters picking Chucko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->