Rob Zepp starts in goal for flyers tonight making NHL debut at age 33

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This isn't incorrect, but it's kind of misleading. Hugh Lehman had a Hall of Fame career in the PCHA, which was a major league. When he came to the NHL in 1926, it was more or less like changing conferences. He had already played (and won) quite a few games against NHL teams during the playoffs by that time.

This would be like if the eastern conference somehow went bankrupt and disappeared, and the west survived as a new league called the WHL, and 80 years from now there was a stat about how Martin Brodeur didn't make his WHL debut until age 42. Technically true, but a really weird way to think about it.

This...which makes what Zepp did all the more impressive.

Congrats to ze German, here's hoping he can pull a Garrett Jones...plus like 5 years.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Is this true? The poster is named Rob Zepp, seems kind of obvious if so. Anyone know for sure? He does have a lot of posts about goalies...

As someone mentioned before, yes i do believe it is him that posts on these forums. I clicked this thread thinking that we're congratulating someone who is on HFboard who actually made the NHL rather than thinking that he's debuting as a 33 year old.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Thats a great story! As a Penguins fan I hope him the best in getting the Flyers out of Mcdavid draft position, but not playoff worthy success.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
:sarcasm: I'm sure with that league average attendance of 5,500 and all.

Even if you didn't think the difference in fan culture accounted for anything, the acoustics in smaller arenas does. Trust me, I'm fan of one of the German teams that has an NHL type arena that can seat 18,500, and even when that's sold out, it doesn't get as loud as 4,500 in one of the places with a low roof. I wish that was different, but it clearly isn't.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Unfortunately, that does not mean much. Shot counts in Germany are, well, creative. The goalie of the year, who also boasted a ridiculous SV%, is also distinctly meh - and I say that as a fan of his team.

Still, great to heart zepp's done well. He always seemed like a good dude.

To add to this, the league-wide save percentage in the German top league last year was 91.8%.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Good on him... Looked like a second gear for Philly to score for him. Loved the game plan for overtime - press.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad