Rob Schremp -overrated?

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I saw him play once for the WBS pens, he looked okay, I think he got an assist. He got a lot of PP time if I recall. Most likely, he'll be a fine player, but he'll need to develop. Just because he may take some time doesn't mean it won't be worth the reward.

Phanuthier*

In what sense do you mean 'overrated' ?

Overrated skill? No, he's got unreal skill.

Overrated HF ranking? Yes. Unless he improves his skating and defensive play, he's gonna be more like Jason Allison then Joe Sakic.

It's very possible that he could improve those aspects of his game. Hell, even Kristan Huselius is playing a strong defensive game now. But until he starts doing so, I think the likelyhood of him making the NHL is about as good as Pavel Brendl's.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
He has a ways to go.

He's been scratched a couple of times for Wilkes-Barre and dropped to the fourth line sometimes due to his defense and physical play. No so much because he's not very good at either, but because he doesn't commit to either, he doesn't try.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Overrated, or not, that depends on who you asks, are allot of opinions on this board... ;)

But, I do think Schremp is a perfect example of how its natrual for people who follows hockey to expect that its the top-end talent a kid have, that decides what potential he have.

While in reality, in the NHL, whats really really hard, is to get scoring chances, to get in positions to use that shot/playmaking skills ect. Not really to capatilize on it. Thats tough to but not really a deciding factor.

Take Henrik Zetterberg for example. I don't think he would have been a big star in the CHL. His finnishing skills aren't magical. But, he is extremely good at beeing around the puck.

I would bet on that 90% of the goals scored in the NHL are dirty goals, comming from just crushing the net. If you play at the right side of the rink (in the attacking zone), and works hard and reads the ice well, so you are around the puck allot, you will get a piece of thoose goals, and it will show on the score sheet.

So in reality its thoose players who spend the most time in the attacking zone and handles the puck allot who gets the most points. In order to spend allot of time in the attacking zone you must be good defensivly, you must be good in the transition play, you must work hard, you must cover allot of ice, handle the puck well in the transition game, and be willing to crash the net.

Schremp is really only a great player when it comes to making that final play, that shot or that last pass. In other areas he aren't very good. So in the future in order to be successful in the NHL he must have linemates that can contribute in the rest of the aspects it takes to be successful in the NHL. Its defenitly not impossible that EDM can arrenge that for him, and that Schremp becomes a 80 pts scorer.

Though Robbie never had, and never will have, the potential to become a dominant player in any situations. He needs allot of help too. Thats why using stats too is such a bad measuring stick IMO. Even if you got a player like Schremp and he scores 80 pts, he will cost you allot in other areas.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
And incidentally, I think it may be getting a bit easier in some cases these days for the stats-fans to be able to "overrate" some players... I don't know about all the leagues everywhere, but it is reasonably typical for an OHL game these days to involve 20 powerplays. (E.g. 5 games yesterday: 16, 20, 18, 21, 23 PPs). A lot of teams load up the PP with their big-name offensive stars. A lot of standing around besieging the goalies with shots goes on. An increasing number of players are going to be putting up big points totals again, and it isn't always going to be very indicative of the complete package those players are going to be able to bring to the next levels.

Plus, I don't know if it's just me, but the crop of goalies in the OHL right now seems pretty weak relative to some years, above and beyond all the extra rubber they're facing? :dunno:

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Overrated, or not, that depends on who you asks, are allot of opinions on this board... ;)

But, I do think Schremp is a perfect example of how its natrual for people who follows hockey to expect that its the top-end talent a kid have, that decides what potential he have.

While in reality, in the NHL, whats really really hard, is to get scoring chances, to get in positions to use that shot/playmaking skills ect. Not really to capatilize on it. Thats tough to but not really a deciding factor.

Take Henrik Zetterberg for example. I don't think he would have been a big star in the CHL. His finnishing skills aren't magical. But, he is extremely good at beeing around the puck.

I would bet on that 90% of the goals scored in the NHL are dirty goals, comming from just crushing the net. If you play at the right side of the rink (in the attacking zone), and works hard and reads the ice well, so you are around the puck allot, you will get a piece of thoose goals, and it will show on the score sheet.

So in reality its thoose players who spend the most time in the attacking zone and handles the puck allot who gets the most points. In order to spend allot of time in the attacking zone you must be good defensivly, you must be good in the transition play, you must work hard, you must cover allot of ice, handle the puck well in the transition game, and be willing to crash the net.

Schremp is really only a great player when it comes to making that final play, that shot or that last pass. In other areas he aren't very good. So in the future in order to be successful in the NHL he must have linemates that can contribute in the rest of the aspects it takes to be successful in the NHL. Its defenitly not impossible that EDM can arrenge that for him, and that Schremp becomes a 80 pts scorer.

Though Robbie never had, and never will have, the potential to become a dominant player in any situations. He needs allot of help too. Thats why using stats too is such a bad measuring stick IMO. Even if you got a player like Schremp and he scores 80 pts, he will cost you allot in other areas.

You can say the same thing about Patrick O'Sullivan. They are both in similar situations.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Right now he's on a very strong WBS team that has 4 other top 2 line Oilers prospects Pouliot, Mikhnov, Jacques, and Brodziak. He is our only player to be stepping straight out of the CHL to play on WBS and last year he had it too easy in London. He really hasn't had to answer for his defensive liabilities and his lack of gritty play until this season because he was always putting up gaudy stats. Now he's on a team that has some very good Pens prospects and our best AHL ready forward prospects. He's not the only guy that can produce offense on his team. I personally don't like the way that richards has handled him of late, but either he does what the coach wants him to do, or it's going to be a very long season for Robbie, and all of the talk about attitude issues with Robbie will return with a vengence.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I'd probably take him as well. The lack of physical play might be a bit of concern. I remember at least once, he was at the point and dodged a hit instead of keeping the puck in the zone.

I tried to look for the bad skating, based on his rep around here, but I only noticed it once, the resat of the times I tried to look for it it didn't really seem like a problem, but I didn't really know what to look for in the first place.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Oh Jesus here we go.

We get this debate going at the Oilers board probably at least once a week.

He's a very skilled prospect who put up terrific numbers and could do great things offensively in the NHL. He's not an all around guy who you can depend on in any situation and he's not a great skater.

Schremp has to improve his overall game enough that he can at least take a regular NHL shift and not get burned. Once he does that, he'll put up 60-80 points a season with lots of PP time, but he'll never be among the best players in the game.

None of these things make him a bad prospect. People expect too much sometimes that's all. Each player is who they are.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The problem is that alot of Oilers fans have been pumping Schremp up like he was going to step right into a top six spot in the NHL and challenge for the Calder.

I think he could be a decent NHLer in 2-3 years, but he is a long way behind guys like Wolski and Radulov development wise even though he was putting up similiar points in junior.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I personally don't like the way that richards has handled him of late, but either he does what the coach wants him to do, or it's going to be a very long season for Robbie, and all of the talk about attitude issues with Robbie will return with a vengence.

I don't understand this part. In fact, you seem to contradict yourself.

You say you don't like Todd Richards' handling, but also admit Schremp isn't buying into what Richards wants him to do. In which case, how does problem lie with Richards, whats wrong with how he's handled things? This is the same guy that scratched Noah Welch for a weak performance, nobody gets by on reputation.

If Schremp isn't working hard enough out there, and another young kid is getting scratched and is willing to play hard, its only common sense to make the appropriate adjustment.

Danglefish

Oct 26, 2006
In what sense do you mean 'overrated' ?

Overrated skill? No, he's got unreal skill.

Overrated HF ranking? Yes. Unless he improves his skating and defensive play, he's gonna be more like Jason Allison then Joe Sakic.

It's very possible that he could improve those aspects of his game. Hell, even Kristan Huselius is playing a strong defensive game now. But until he starts doing so, I think the likelyhood of him making the NHL is about as good as Pavel Brendl's.

How can you even put Schremp and Brendl in the same category? Brendl was good in junior, shouldn't have been drafted as early as he was, he got some monster points for one season, and then the next year he was back down to a "common" dominant chl scorer. You also have to remember that Brendl was playing while the WHL had some unnatural scoring outburst as well, 134 points was 1st, ahead of 2nd place by 16. And the next year he was 2nd with 111 points, behind first by just 9 points but only ahead of 3rd place by 5. There was alot of scoring going on in those years.

Rob Schremp should have been drafted in the top 10 but got screwed over because of his rumoured attitude problems, the kid has put up monster numbers for the last 3 years; Schremp was also screwed over for the OHL's most outstanding player, not that it's a huge deal or anything but just something worth noting IMO.

Not only this, but Brendl never even got near a point a game in the AHL until 2003, where he only played 33 games, while Schremp has been hovering around that point a game mark all season this year even with his "lackluster" skating and poor defensive game.

The kid can play, and will play in the NHL for many years to come. He may not be a Joe Sakic, but he will definately be a first/second line offensive player that will rack up some big point totals IMO. End rant here haha.

Last edited:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I don't understand this part. In fact, you seem to contradict yourself.

You say you don't like Todd Richards' handling, but also admit Schremp isn't buying into what Richards wants him to do.

I think the poster meant that he doesn't agree with Richards' handling of Schremp, but that Schremp better learn to live with it and adjust.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I think the most telling stat this year is this: despite the previously aforementioned benchings, line demotions, etc., Rob Schremp still has 15 points in 18 games as a 20 year-old rookie pro. Players that get a PPG at that age at this level historically do very well.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Brendl was good in junior, shouldn't have been drafted as early as he was,
Rob Schremp should have been drafted in the top 10 but got screwed over because of his rumoured attitude problems

Predraft
P.Brendl = 68 gp - 73 g - 134 pts... 1.92
Schremp = 63 gp - 35 g - 75 pts... 1.19

Why should Schremp have been a top-10 and Brendl not? :dunno:

Brendl got some monster points for one season, and then the next year he was back down to a "common" dominant chl scorer.

Schremp has put up monster numbers for the last 3 years

Postdraft- Year 1
P.Brendl = 61 gp - 59 g - 111 pts... 1.87
Schremp = 62 gp - 41 g - 90 pts... 1.45

Postdraft - Year 2
Brendl = 49 gp - 40 g - 75 pts... 1.53
Schremp = 65 gp - 26 g - 74 pts...2.54

How exactly are 2 of Brendl's years "common" and Schremp's years "monster"? (years you specified are in bold) :dunno:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i would say Rob Schremp is overrated by Oiler fans(just like most fans of any team over rate there prospects), most other people realize he is a boom or bust kind of guy

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
Rob Schremp is severly over rated by Oiler fans. I for one am not a Schremp fan and wish Lowe would package him in a deal to get us a defenseman that we badly need.

Producing in the OHL on a very stacked team doesn't count for anything when playing in the AHL or NHL. Most of the Oiler fans thought that Schremp was going to make the team in his draft year but he didn't. This past training camp everyone had him slated as the #2 center but failed to realize that he has no defense to his game. Schremp has a lot to work on before he is NHL ready.

Yes you can say oh he is because he is producing at a point per game clip, but I also remind you that he is playing on a very talented team in W.B.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
he sort of sounds like a Marc Savard type guy. Lots of Offense, no defense.

razman22

Mar 24, 2006
How can you even put Schremp and Brendl in the same category? Brendl was good in junior, shouldn't have been drafted as early as he was, he got some monster points for one season, and then the next year he was back down to a "common" dominant chl scorer. You also have to remember that Brendl was playing while the WHL had some unnatural scoring outburst as well, 134 points was 1st, ahead of 2nd place by 16. And the next year he was 2nd with 111 points, behind first by just 9 points but only ahead of 3rd place by 5. There was alot of scoring going on in those years.

Rob Schremp should have been drafted in the top 10 but got screwed over because of his rumoured attitude problems, the kid has put up monster numbers for the last 3 years; Schremp was also screwed over for the OHL's most outstanding player, not that it's a huge deal or anything but just something worth noting IMO.

Not only this, but Brendl never even got near a point a game in the AHL until 2003, where he only played 33 games, while Schremp has been hovering around that point a game mark all season this year even with his "lackluster" skating and poor defensive game.

The kid can play, and will play in the NHL for many years to come. He may not be a Joe Sakic, but he will definately be a first/second line offensive player that will rack up some big point totals IMO. End rant here haha.

Rumored attitude problems? This guys last game in the CHL had him shoot the puck at the ref and throw a water bottle at the other teams bench (or was it water bottle at ref and puck at other teams bench) after his team was eliminated. That's quite a way to finish your career. The same guy was traded from Mississauga as a 17 year old because of his attitude. He also quit his power skating lessons this past summer because he didn't think he needed them anymore to help his skating. Schremp has all world talent, nobody can deny that. His lack of desire and his attitiude problems will haunt him through his career though, whether it be in the NHL or AHL.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
I don't think he's overrated anymore.

Everyone outside of the most kool-aid addicted oiler fans see this guy for what he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad