Sportsnet: Rob Ray: Scott should go after ‘stupid’ Kessel again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
Would also like to add I am completely fine with having a goon who isn't very good at hockey on our 4th line and they do serve a purpose. What I don't agree with is people claiming they have so much influence over a game that other teams consciously choose not to hit our skilled players out of fear.

cujoflutie

To be honest Ray was an enforcer I respected;

he truly went by the code and was one of the more admirable enforcers. He might be the reason Barnaby became an agitator like Tucker as opposed to a rat like Kaleta. Earl in his career Barnaby ran around doing his troll act and never fought. Ray told him "if you're going to pull that crap, you better be prepared to fight your own battles because I'm not cleaning up your messes"

I wont say I lost all respect for Ray but this is just stupid. How would Ray have acted if an enforcer went after Lafontaine or Mogilny in his day?

This sort of thing is practically unprecedented? When was the last time you saw an enforcer jump a star in that manner before? I'm still shaking my head how Shanahan allowed it; shanny took care of himself but imagine the fallout if someone did that to Hull or Yzerman? Shanahan did join detroit the year of the 'revenge' game against Claude Lemieux. In fact I wonder if that would have happened if the NHL gave Lemieux a stiffer punishment than 2 games?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
When Scott tried to jump Kessel all the Leafs on the ice (and one from the bench) went after Scott.
When Lucic ran Miller no Sabre was willing to do a thing about it.

So from past history if Scott tries to jump Kessel again he wont really get anywhere but the very next shift when Orr goes after Hodgson or Vanik will any Sabres player have the balls to do anything about it?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
A former Sabres neanderthal sticking up for a current Sabres neanderthal. What a shocker.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Rob Ray the league punching bag is at it again, I see. Good luck trying to out fight the best fighting team in the league. McLaren, Orr, Fraser and Devane will have their way with you. Even Mcclement and Phaneuf will step in if you go after Kessel. Good luck to you though, Scott.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I don't feel like I am a "troll" by any means, but I love how upset everyone is with Kessel. It brings joy to my eyes reading some peoples comments on the main board.

Well I'm a 100% Leaf fan who views most everything with an objective mind. What Kessel did was pathetic and wimpy. Not a fan of his character or lack thereof.

Did they try the poll after last year's Boston series? After he stood up to Scott? After he made another guy bleed like a pig?

As the Brian Burke infused Leafs continue to get nastier and nastier, Keesel's nut appears to be growing by the day.

How is hacking a guy with your stick "standing up to" another player? Wow. Lets face it, if Kessel wasn't a Leaf 95% of the posters who don't think what he did was cowardly would be slamming the guy.

FTR - what Scott did was cheap but to heck if I'm going to condone any player using his stick like Kessel did, it was a chicken move

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Rob Ray is a joke, on OTR he blamed the crowd for the coach sending out Scott based on how they were cheering when Troup went down.

The next segment they had Steve Simmons on, he said a coach who makes descions based on the crowd should not be in the league. For the first time ever I agreed with him.

conway902

Feb 4, 2012
Well I'm a 100% Leaf fan who views most everything with an objective mind. What Kessel did was pathetic and wimpy. Not a fan of his character or lack thereof.

How is hacking a guy with your stick "standing up to" another player? Wow. Lets face it, if Kessel wasn't a Leaf 95% of the posters who don't think what he did was cowardly would be slamming the guy.

FTR - what Scott did was cheap but to heck if I'm going to condone any player using his stick like Kessel did, it was a chicken move

You understand the size mismatch would be like Colton Orr going after Tyler Ennis? Not one leaf fan would be crying if Ennis started two handing Orr. :shakehead

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
You understand the size mismatch would be like Colton Orr going after Tyler Ennis? Not one leaf fan would be crying if Ennis started two handing Orr. :shakehead

I'm old school and I'm a man. I would rather get beat up then use my stick like Kessel did. You probably think kicking and spitting are okay too.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
**** the 10 game suspension, Orr and McLaren would go over the boards

We could afford to have one of them do it, and actually put Scott in the hospital too instead of just grapple. We still have enough muscle to compensate the following 10 games.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
I fully agree that John Scott is a sideshow and Rob Ray is a punch drunk old fool. That being said there's been a lot of "goon" bashing in this thread, and in general since this debacle.

Those two are morons, but we have to remember that there also players like Colton Orr who fill a similar role and have comparable stats, but offer so much more to the team. There's no way we bring last years playoffs to 7 games without Orr playing the way he did against Chara. Yes he's also is a big part of the team and emboldens them and everything, but Orr can also play really hard and carry his own weight.

I'm not suggesting that anyone thinks the same of Orr as Scott, but I think that comparing the two proves everyone's point a little better and avoids the hypocrisy of just trashing Scott in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Due North

Mar 16, 2010
The reason Rob Ray is saying this kind of crap is because he
works for WGR 550 Sports radio station in Buffalo. They probably
wanted a Buffalo Sabre take on the situation.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm old school and I'm a man. I would rather get beat up then use my stick like Kessel did. You probably think kicking and spitting are okay too.

Get beat up, possibly get a concussion, in a contract year, possibly costing yourself millions of dollars? I bet you would think twice about that in that situation.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

I'm a big Kessel fan and I'm hoping the Leafs tie him up long term, but his 2nd swing and subsequent poke with the stick were unnecessary and was hard to watch as a fan. But everyone makes mistakes and I hope Kessel thinks these were his mistakes and learns from it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Homer commentator makes homer comment

In other news Joe Bowen says Leafs are great.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Just curious.... how is Rob Ray wrong here?

If I am the Sabres, I love the result of this little melee. One of my division rivals ends up with 2 of their best players suspended, and we get a slap on the wrist fine. If I am the Sabres, I'll take that trade every time.

Why wouldn't they want to do the same thing again?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Get beat up, possibly get a concussion, in a contract year, possibly costing yourself millions of dollars? I bet you would think twice about that in that situation.

No I wouldn't.

I'm a big Kessel fan and I'm hoping the Leafs tie him up long term, but his 2nd swing and subsequent poke with the stick were unnecessary and was hard to watch as a fan. But everyone makes mistakes and I hope Kessel thinks these were his mistakes and learns from it.

I'm hoping he learns from it as well, but he did some similar hacking in the game against Philly as well and frankly I was surprised he didn't get suspended then too.

What Kessel did was chicken excrement and embarassing, lets pray he has learned his lesson and doesn't pull this crap again.

Leafsin2014*

No I wouldn't.

I'm hoping he learns from it as well, but he did some similar hacking in the game against Philly as well and frankly I was surprised he didn't get suspended then too.

What Kessel did was chicken excrement and embarassing, lets pray he has learned his lesson and doesn't pull this crap again.

Always love how guys on message boards claim to "be a real man" and would handle John Scott. Kessel's hacks on the shin pads were so horrible!!

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Hold the phone!

People sit here and talk about concussions that enforcers get from fighting and other things over their careers.

We're talking about one of the biggest goons / fighters the league has EVER seen! Since when did his opinion actually mattered? Last time I checked enforcers were only good for one thing and that's their knuckles, Rob Ray is no different.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Sabres are so lame.

2a82dfb.jpg

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Always love how guys on message boards claim to "be a real man" and would handle John Scott. Kessel's hacks on the shin pads were so horrible!!

Reading comprehension = a joke. Where did I say I could handle John Scott? The dude is way bigger then I am but there is no way I'm gonna hack with my stick like Kessel did. I appreciate you don't play hockey yourself and I understand that you're just learning but you are out and out making stuff up. I don't really care cuz anyone reading this can clearly see I never said anything of the sort you claim.

see ya later :dainty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad