Sportsnet: Rob Ray: Scott should go after ‘stupid’ Kessel again

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
You know whats so funny about all this? Where are the guys who talk about how Orr and Mclaren do nothing for the team? Say they have no place and we should just have "hard workers" on the 4th line. See what happens when there is no Orr or Mclaren on the team? Scott went directly after Kessel because no one would be there to punish him and Clarkson who does fight is not the kind of guy you'd want to be fighting Scott

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yes, because the only thing better than your goon massively escalating a situation by going after the other team's star player, starting a brawl and inviting similar retaliation in the future....is to do it twice.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Saw him on OTR there. He's just a dumb Sabres fan and the bias was just pouring out of his mouth. He didn't put blame on Scott or the Sabres at all, claimed it was all on Kessel lol. He's an idiot.

And if he comes at Kessel again, he might play his last game in the NHL.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
I don't feel like I am a "troll" by any means, but I love how upset everyone is with Kessel. It brings joy to my eyes reading some peoples comments on the main board.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
You know whats so funny about all this? Where are the guys who talk about how Orr and Mclaren do nothing for the team? Say they have no place and we should just have "hard workers" on the 4th line. See what happens when there is no Orr or Mclaren on the team? Scott went directly after Kessel because no one would be there to punish him and Clarkson who does fight is not the kind of guy you'd want to be fighting Scott

Because guys are knuckleheads and they listen to garbage media people that believe fighting should not be in the game. Here is a classic example why. McLaren and Orr can be on my team any day.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie

You know whats so funny about this post? This guy thinks that Scott wouldn't have did what he did if Orr and McLaren were on the bench. I guess he thinks Scott has no balls and would be too afraid to rough someone up because he is afraid of getting beat up.

Do you know how silly this sounds. Scott isn't afraid of Orr/McLaren and he did not go after Kessel because he knew there was no one to punish him. I don't know how people continue to believe dressing a goon makes other teams afraid to hit our skilled players. I'm sorry but it just doesn't work like that.

EDDIE20*

I don't feel like I am a "troll" by any means, but I love how upset everyone is with Kessel. It brings joy to my eyes reading some peoples comments on the main board.

Definitely. Mind you, if Scott had done the same to Crosby / Karlsson / Stamkos and they would've reacted in turn by slashing him in the shins, surely all would be forgiven, right?

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
leafs.jpg

Go on. See what happens.

Many things could happen to Scott if he did it again, but the image you posted is hardly one to dissuade him. From the image, what could happen to you:

—could drive your fist into a player's face (said player who now literally has a hole in his head and despite bravado indicating otherwise, is unlikely to be dropping the gloves)

—could open up the face of a Leaf player

—could tie up a Leaf player

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure Scott is going to have his plate full the next time the Sabres play the Leafs.
The second he is on the ice, he'll be fighting Orr. Should he still have his wits about him, he'll watch McLaren run wild while he's in the box and will be obligated to fight him next. He'll earn his paycheck, thats for damn sure.
Likely at some point, Clarkson & Fraser will likely have words with Kaleta and Ott as well.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
You know whats so funny about this post? This guy thinks that Scott wouldn't have did what he did if Orr and McLaren were on the bench. I guess he thinks Scott has no balls and would be too afraid to rough someone up because he is afraid of getting beat up.

Do you know how silly this sounds. Scott isn't afraid of Orr/McLaren and he did not go after Kessel because he knew there was no one to punish him. I don't know how people continue to believe dressing a goon makes other teams afraid to hit our skilled players. I'm sorry but it just doesn't work like that.
I guess you forget the days of the Bruins smashing the Leafs around with no guys who could defend the team when Orr was sent down. Take a look at what has happened since Mclaren and Orr have been mainstays on the team. Take them out, and Scott tried taking a cheap shot at Kessel IN A PRE-SEASON GAME. Scott last season fought both Mclaren and Orr and yet they weren't on the team and he tried to do something. Why do you completely ignore that? Why is that something you fail to notice? Did Scott last season take runs at our "star" players when they were in the line up? NO, did he do so when Orr and Mclaren weren't? YES.

I can't believe anybody can even argue that. He took his ONE chance to take out a rival's top player with 0 on ice consequences. Its actually smart that he tried to do it even if it was disgusting and dirty.

What's hilarious is how some people who are against Orr and Mclaren will talk about the small minority of hockey analysts who are against these types of players yet completely ignore the majority who do believe that these players do in fact have a positive impact on the team. Even going as far as IGNORING players that say they help so whats the point in even arguing?

Now me personally, I don't think BOTH are needed on the team I'd rather have one but there is a need for it and its been proven so many times yet people completely ignore it. Fighters go after fighters, thats how its always been and should be.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-for-his-actions-in-maple-leafs-sabres-brawl/

Wow after hearing him say this I lost all respect for Rob Ray (not that I had much before) and you can tell he is only seeing the Sabres side of the story.

I expect a lot of teams are going to target Kessel physically this year trying to intimidate him and force him into taking foolish retaliatory penalties getting him off the ice and off his game. His next slashing event will result in more suspensions as well..

However that said when Orr and McLaren are present in the line-up the retribution for those intimidation actions will be present and swift. If you mess with Kessel be prepared to answer the call from Leafs tough guys shortly after as that is the reason they're on the team as body guards to fight Kessel and other skilled players battles for them.

A former Sports Illustrated players poll named Kessel as the easiest intimidated player in the NHL among his peers.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Saw some behind the scenes vid of him while in Pittsburgh. Pretty funny guy.

You mean Chicago, right?

But I agree. I'm honestly not too angry at Scott with the situation. Never seemed like he was going to throw a punch, he just wanted to send a message and **** with Leafs... which he did haha

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I expect a lot of teams are going to target Kessel physically this year trying to intimidate him and force him into taking foolish retaliatory penalties getting him off the ice and off his game. His next slashing event will result in more suspensions as well..

However that said when Orr and McLaren are present in the line-up the retribution for those intimidation actions will be present and swift. If you mess with Kessel be prepared to answer the call from Leafs tough guys shortly after as that is the reason they're on the team as body guards to fight Kessel and other skilled players battles for them.

A former Sports Illustrated players poll named Kessel as the easiest intimidated player in the NHL among his peers.

Did they try the poll after last year's Boston series? After he stood up to Scott? After he made another guy bleed like a pig?

As the Brian Burke infused Leafs continue to get nastier and nastier, Keesel's nut appears to be growing by the day.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Because guys are knuckleheads and they listen to garbage media people that believe fighting should not be in the game. Here is a classic example why. McLaren and Orr can be on my team any day.

What? If fighting weren't in the game, guys like Scott wouldn't be in the league in the first place (which he shouldn't be) and crap like this wouldn't happen.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I don't know why anyone would be shocked that Rob Ray would say something like that; 900 games, 91 points, 3207 PIMs...he played exactly the same role as Scott, just in a smalleer package.

Luckily Orr, MacLaren, and Fraser should be in the line-up that night. If they can't stop Scott from going after Kessel, then at least they could retaliate against Buffalo's skilled players (or at least relatively skilled compare to the other Buffalo players :sarcasm:).

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
I guess you forget the days of the Bruins smashing the Leafs around with no guys who could defend the team when Orr was sent down. Take a look at what has happened since Mclaren and Orr have been mainstays on the team. Take them out, and Scott tried taking a cheap shot at Kessel IN A PRE-SEASON GAME. Scott last season fought both Mclaren and Orr and yet they weren't on the team and he tried to do something. Why do you completely ignore that? Why is that something you fail to notice? Did Scott last season take runs at our "star" players when they were in the line up? NO, did he do so when Orr and Mclaren weren't? YES.

I can't believe anybody can even argue that. He took his ONE chance to take out a rival's top player with 0 on ice consequences. Its actually smart that he tried to do it even if it was disgusting and dirty.

What's hilarious is how some people who are against Orr and Mclaren will talk about the small minority of hockey analysts who are against these types of players yet completely ignore the majority who do believe that these players do in fact have a positive impact on the team. Even going as far as IGNORING players that say they help so whats the point in even arguing?

Now me personally, I don't think BOTH are needed on the team I'd rather have one but there is a need for it and its been proven so many times yet people completely ignore it. Fighters go after fighters, thats how its always been and should be.

My point was even if Orr and Mclaren were on the bench he very well could have done the exact same thing because he is a grown man who chose to do what he did and I personally don't think he fears Orr and McLaren and would change the way he plays because he is fearful of them and thinks he will get beat up. To me even suggesting that Scott only did what he did because Orr and McLaren weren't there to scare him into behaving is ridiculous, but you believe Scott would play scared if Orr and McLaren were on the bench so we will have to agree to disagree.

You obviously believe that dressing goons is a deterrent and causes players to play scared and not finish their checks and make a conscious split second decision not to do something out of fear. I think it has absolutely no bearing on how our opponents play and there have been countless examples of good players hit hard or cheap shotted or roughed up while the other team has a goon on the bench.

It's simply a difference of opinion and I don't believe a 5min a night goon deters players from playing physical and strikes fear into them causing them to completely change the way they play. You do think that players are fearful and choose not to do something so they won't get beat up. No way of proving either of us to be correct, but I have heard players say that they don't get intimidated by another team dressing an enforcer and I find your stance that grown men play scared to be ludicrous, which causes me to form the opinion I have that having Orr and McLaren sitting on the bench wouldn't have scared Scott into not engaging Kessel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad