Please continue here​

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Some coaching additions:

Ron Roenicke - bench coach
Tom Goodwin - first base coach
Carlos Febles - third base coach

Roenicke formerly managed Milwaukee, Goodwin comes over from the Mets in the same position and Febles managed Portland this past season.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Good to see Cora get a bench coach with managerial experience, it'll be good for a rookie manager to have that guidance.

Anyway, hot stove desires:

- Bring back Nunez. The injury may have hurt his market value and make it so you can re-up him on a short term "show me" contract, which is exactly what the team needs right now, a bridge until the next crop of infielders on the right side of the diamond are ready.

- You can never have enough bullpen arms. Sign some decent ones, and hopefully find a leftie who's better than Abad or Ross.

- Kick the tires on Stanton. I'm not saying they should give up the farm for him, because I wouldn't. But you've gotta be in on the conversation. This team needed power last year. If something built around Jackie Bradley and some prospects who may be blocked can get it done, great. If Florida tries to gouge you, walk away.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Good to see Cora get a bench coach with managerial experience, it'll be good for a rookie manager to have that guidance.

Anyway, hot stove desires:

- Bring back Nunez. The injury may have hurt his market value and make it so you can re-up him on a short term "show me" contract, which is exactly what the team needs right now, a bridge until the next crop of infielders on the right side of the diamond are ready.

- You can never have enough bullpen arms. Sign some decent ones, and hopefully find a leftie who's better than Abad or Ross.

- Kick the tires on Stanton. I'm not saying they should give up the farm for him, because I wouldn't. But you've gotta be in on the conversation. This team needed power last year. If something built around Jackie Bradley and some prospects who may be blocked can get it done, great. If Florida tries to gouge you, walk away.
Florida hasn't existed in years, it's Miami

Reactions: dabid

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Some random observations from the Astros' victory parade:

1) It was great, albeit bittersweet, seeing Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio in the parade. They gave it their best throughout their Hall of Fame careers to bring a day like this to Houston, but could never quite get over the hump. One of the local stations had Roger Clemens commenting. While he did win a couple of rings with the Yankees, he, too, came up just short with the Astros.

2) The absence of Justin Verlander. I get it, he planned his wedding in Italy well before he knew he'd be traded to Houston; and there was no shot the Tigers would be playing deep in the postseason. A columnist did a rundown of what he'd have to do to make both the parade and the wedding. It wouldn't have been easy, but...I'll just say I was disappointed he didn't make it. It appeared as if Dallas Keuchel was trying to Face Time him from the podium.

3) Seeing Ken Giles and Chris Devenski on a firetruck was ironic. I know if there was a fire, those two are the last guys I'd want coming to put it out.

4) Despite it being early November, the temperature was high 80's/low 90's. The reflection pond in front of city hall quickly became a wading pond. Only in Houston.

Reactions: sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gary DiSarcina will be the Mets' new bench coach, sources confirmed. The former big leaguer was most recently the bench coach for John Farrell in Boston.

DiSarcina also has minor league managerial experience. He managed Boston's low-A team in 2007-09 and their Triple-A team in 2013. He has also served as a first and third base coach with the Angels.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-gary-disarcina-bench-coach-article-1.3612665

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Not to quibble, because they were both tragedies, but one could have been easily avoided. While we don't know the details of the latest incident, I know it didn't happen at 2 in the morning and I sincerely doubt alcohol/drugs were involved.
If you read the details he would of been arrested if he survived it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Was listening to Mutt and Keefe on WEEI discussing the incident and apparently there had been at least two other recent crashes involving this plane, one where an engineer and lead pilot/designer of the ICON were killed.

I can’t imagine this plane/company is going to be around for very long with all this bad press?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Interesting piece of news: Dana LeVangie promoted to pitching coach

The name Dana reminded me of Dana Kieker. As a kid, I thought he was going to be a great pitcher for some reason. Googling around led me to this image. It truly was Rocket and cross your fingers in those times. I was always so angry Welch took the Cy Young that season given Clemens underlying stats... but 27 wins sure is a lot.

welch-v-kieker.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Heartbreaking....

Jeez, I remember when they signed him there was a lot of hype about how he was the next superstar catcher whenever he arrived.

Did they know he had cancer when he was signed, or was this a really sudden and aggressive illness? Because thye just signed him this summer and no one said anything about cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->