RLR: Malkin could be No. 1 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHesse

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/781.0.php

...Evgeni Malkin was the dominant force in the entire tournament and has not only solidified his #2 overall ranking, but has significantly narrowed the gap between himself and consensus No. 1 Alex Ovechkin. It’s not a matter of Ovechkin coming back to the pack; Malkin has just elevated his game to new levels. A number of teams now have the pair ranked in a dead heat, with some believing that Malkin’s rapid progression and long-term upside make him worthy of the top spot.

As much as we love Ovechkin, it’s not that big a stretch. Malkin is nearly a full year younger and will play in the NHL at nearly 6-4/215 pounds when he fills out, with all the puck skills of a much smaller man and a nasty edge to boot. Watch the way Vinny Lecavalier has been playing in this year’s playoffs and imagine Malkin 5-6 year from now - the comparison seems quite valid.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Well, the Caps do need a center more then they need a winger when you check their youth and prospects. But, this seems more like a "feel good" article for all the Pens fans, I don't think the difference is as minimal as the article makes you believe.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
That is nothing but hot water. Malkin can close the gap as far as he wants, but Ovechkin will be the #1.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
PhoPhan said:
That is nothing but hot water. Malkin can close the gap as far as he wants, but Ovechkin will be the #1.

Ovechkin will def. be #1 overall. As a pens fan, I'm very glad they finished in last because it looks like Chicago was the real loser by finishing 3rd now.

Dextrous*

Who cares who goes number 1. Draft the best guy and we shall see who the better guy is. I could care less which we get. Odds are both are extremely good in the nhl and due to low point totals likely both will put up similar points in the future. Thats where ov's all around game could make him better.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Washington will go with Ovechkin #1 because all hell would break loose if they didn't.

They're extremely close in ranking right now. Ovechkin will always be the hotter commodity because of the hype, but Malkin very well may end up being the better player.

I'm happy with the Penguins situation right now.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
FHesse said:
Watch the way Vinny Lecavalier has been playing in this year’s playoffs and imagine Malkin 5-6 year from now - the comparison seems quite valid.

This Lecavalier comparison is interesting me, can someone tell me more about Malkin, all I know is Ovechkin for Euro players this year.

TVanek26*

If Washington really wants Malkin...trade down to Pittsburgh and pick up a 1st next year and maybe Whitney.

AvengerK

Mar 9, 2004
Cal Poly, the good 1
DanielBriere48 said:
If Washington really wants Malkin...trade down to Pittsburgh and pick up a 1st next year and maybe Whitney.

Pittsburgh would never give up that much if Washington trades down. There's only one reason why they would trade down and everyone knows it. They'd give up a 3rd rounder at best in that situation.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
DanielBriere48 said:

So let me get this right:

To Pitt:
#1 overall

To Wash:
#2 Overall
1st round pick next year(likely another top5)
Ryan Whitney(#5 in 02')

Thats crazy. No GM in there right mind would do that. I think it would be ludacris even to suggest it. Right now, AO>Malkin. However, AO<<<<<<<<<<Malkin +Whitney. And AO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Malkin+Whitney+1st round pick.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, but Red Line says that many scouts have the 2 in a "dead heat."

Those aren't words to be taken lightly. Regardless, I'm more than content with Malkin at #2, and there's no way I'd part with Whitney just to move up. No way.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
FHesse said:
As much as we love Ovechkin, it’s not that big a stretch. Malkin is nearly a full year younger and will play in the NHL at nearly 6-4/215 pounds when he fills out, with all the puck skills of a much smaller man and a nasty edge to boot. Watch the way Vinny Lecavalier has been playing in this year’s playoffs and imagine Malkin 5-6 year from now - the comparison seems quite valid.

I am not sure about Lecavalier comparison. Admitedly I haven't seen Malkin all that much, but from what I saw his style is closer to Mats Sundin :bow: Which is IMO better than Lecavalier. But upside is not all there is to it. I do not think Ovechkin's spot at the top is challenged.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
Consider the source.

Exactly. I think people (some Pens fans, AO haters) are giving this way too much credibility just to help their cause. I think Malkin's gonna be a really good player (though has a bigger risk factor than AO), though as a Pens fan I'd hope for a bit more than Lecavalier (at this point in his career is still being benched for lack of effort), but everyone knows redline is probably the least credible source out there so everyone please give it a rest.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
As far as I know, this Fhesse guy is not a Penguins fan.

It is only the opinion of one of many outlets, but it's something to chew on. I don't see what the harm is in posting this information here, it IS the prospects forum.

You could argue that RLR is sometimes bang on and sometimes way, way off, but the fact remains that 29 NHL teams subscribe to them, so they must know something.

But if it was just RLR, I would take the info with a grain of salt, but Joe Starkey (local Penguins writer) has written a few articles with the sole intentions of hyping up Malkin. That's kind of stupid in it's own right, but he's been using quotes from real life NHL personel, like David Conte.

Nobody's saying Malkin is going 1st overall, but it certainly adds ammunition to the argument that Malkin has in fact closed the gap, and that the Blackhawks are the real losers of the draft lottery.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm not an Ovechkin-hater by any stretch. I was just pointing out that people have the two in a dead heat, and there have been some comments made that suggest these two are close. Does this mean Ovechkin won't go number one? No.

But I would say that it means these two are on a level above the rest of the pack. Malkin has impressed enough different scouts to have some of them saying they might think about taking him number one.

Given the talents and abilities of Ovechkin, that is quite the compliment to Malkin.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Perhaps if this was coming from a different source other then a place with the second overall pick, then it might get a little more credibility. I would kill to have either player but AO goes first overall, end of story.

But I would prefer the Habs to have Malkin then Ovechkin....he fills more of a need.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's on pittsburghpenguins.com via RLR's subscription magazine.

They're certainly sugarcoating things, but they're still using quotes and such to do so.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
This headline is *seriously* misleading. No where in that articles does it say "Malkin could be #1".

All it says is that Ovechkin is #1, and Malkin a close #2, and a few guys like him better. The vast majority still think Ovechkin is #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad