RLR: Couturier not quite living up to our expectations

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Please tell me how you get both? Because if the Blues pick top ten, you'll get next year's pick.

Not necessarily.

If it's in the top 10, the Blues get to DECIDE. Maybe they DECIDE to give up the top 10 pick in 2011, and keep their 2012 pick...which is looking like the much better draft.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

They alway do some crazy thing a few months before draft day to get hype.

Remember Tavares at #3?

arsmaster*

Not necessarily.

If it's in the top 10, the Blues get to DECIDE. Maybe they DECIDE to give up the top 10 pick in 2011, and keep their 2012 pick...which is looking like the much better draft.

I like 2012 prospects too, but top 10 this year should be at least on par with where St Louis should select.

Its true though they have the choice.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Not necessarily.

If the Blues have a Top 10 pick, i find it highly unlikely that they would choose to give up that pick in favour of an unknown pick a year later. I assume the Blues will be thinking and hoping that they will be a competitive team next year and don't plan on being a Top 10 draft pick team. Unless they think this draft year is really really bad, they aren't going to offload it in favour of an unknown.

If they did decide to do this it tells us two things ; Either this draft is AWFUL or the Blues don't think they will be at all competitive next year. I personally cannot see either being true.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I like 2012 prospects too, but top 10 this year should be at least on par with where St Louis should select.

Its true though they have the choice.

The cut off seems to be after 8 so maybe St Louis might be willing to give away their choice if they choose 9th or 10th. All I know is if I am St Louis' situation and am picking 9th, I would forfeit the pick this year because while I think they most likely will do better next year, there always is that possibility that something bad happens and they finish bottom 5(or even a case they finish roughly the same and win the lottery).

If they did decide to do this it tells us two things ; Either this draft is AWFUL or the Blues don't think they will be at all competitive next year. I personally cannot see either being true.

Never assume. I am guessing Ottawa for instance thought they would be fighting for a playoff spot this year. I believe next year's draft is deeper then this years so picking 15th in 2012 might as be as good as 10th this year

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The cut off seems to be after 8 so maybe St Louis might be willing to give away their choice if they choose 9th or 10th. All I know is if I am St Louis' situation and am picking 9th, I would forfeit the pick this year because while I think they most likely will do better next year, there always is that possibility that something bad happens and they finish bottom 5(or even a case they finish roughly the same and win the lottery).

So you are basing your plan of attack on if the worst comes to worst. Not a very sensible idea IMO.

Never assume. I am guessing Ottawa for instance thought they would be fighting for a playoff spot this year. I believe next year's draft is deeper then this years so picking 15th in 2012 might as be as good as 10th this year

Of course i have to assume. The Blues are in the stage of their development where they expect to be improving. It clearly doesn't always actually equate to reality, but why would the Blues not be anticipating and hoping for improvements? They've picked pretty high for awhile now and now have a set of young NHL players who are establishing themselves. They aren't an Edmonton or Florida who expect to finish low, they reside under a different development period. I just don't see how the Blues will be expecting themselves to finish low next year.

Unless the Blues truely think that the pick they have in the Top ten is worth very very little and they dislike the draft alot, the 2011 pick has more worth than a mid 2012 pick. A pick now is worth more than a pick a year later in general (Unless of course, they consider the current draft to be really really bad).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If the Blues have a Top 10 pick, i find it highly unlikely that they would choose to give up that pick in favour of an unknown pick a year later. I assume the Blues will be thinking and hoping that they will be a competitive team next year and don't plan on being a Top 10 draft pick team. Unless they think this draft year is really really bad, they aren't going to offload it in favour of an unknown.

I know all these things, was just saying that they do have a choice, even if they are picking in the top 10.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Sean Couturier is just too perfect for Florida. Exactly what Tallon likes. Big, strong, physical, two-way center with some great scoring ability. If Florida had the 1st overall, I still think we would pick him, he just make too much sense. RNH is great, but he lack the size and physicality (even though he makes some good hits at times) that Tallon likes.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Florida and Couturier just look good together... It just sounds right. I agree.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I don't get the comparisons to Jordan Staal when Couturier's stats are closer to Eric Staal. Is it just because Couturier's size is comparable to what Jordon was when drafted?

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Sean Couturier is just too perfect for Florida. Exactly what Tallon likes. Big, strong, physical, two-way center with some great scoring ability. If Florida had the 1st overall, I still think we would pick him, he just make too much sense. RNH is great, but he lack the size and physicality (even though he makes some good hits at times) that Tallon likes.

Tallon is also the man who drafted Patrick Kane, so obviously he's not blind to the advantages of BPA either.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I don't get the comparisons to Jordan Staal when Couturier's stats are closer to Eric Staal. Is it just because Couturier's size is comparable to what Jordon was when drafted?

He's a Jordan Staal with more offensive ability. It's mainly because of his strong two-way play, and ability to shutdown other teams toplines. But he will likely be more productive than Jordan Staal imo.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I was just looking at Couturier's stats, and I knew he had the lead in +/- on his team, but didn't really realize how far ahead of his teammates he is.

F Couturier +54
F Palat +36
D Randazzo +20
D Mathieu +20
F Brunelle +17
D Blanchard +14

Those are the only players on his team with a +/- greater than +10.

You'd think that would be hard to do, even by association you'd guess there would be more than one player with 34 +/- points of Couturier.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I was just looking at Couturier's stats, and I knew he had the lead in +/- on his team, but didn't really realize how far ahead of his teammates he is.

F Couturier +54
F Palat +36
D Randazzo +20
D Mathieu +20
F Brunelle +17
D Blanchard +14

Those are the only players on his team with a +/- greater than +10.

You'd think that would be hard to do, even by association you'd guess there would be more than one player with 34 +/- points of Couturier.

yea his +/- is crazy, and hes reining qmjhl plus minus leader too. When I watch him I dont think "wow hes great but he wont be able to do that in the nhl" like with huberdeau. Huberdeau is great, but I dont see him dancing around nhl players the way he does in the q. With couturier I see the skill set that will translate much sooner to the nhl game

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It's not just his plus minus that is a lot better than his teammates.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

i think the comparisons to staal are ridiculous. so what if couturier and staal both know what their own end look like and that they are built the same? two different players, imo.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

There seems to be conflicting reports of Couturier's skating though... Some say it's his weakness some say it's his strength.

I personally think he has good power speed but agility isn't there.

4thliner*

His speed is fine. His compete level and energy level are more of a problem. He's got all the talent in the world, but he doesn't know how to bring it all together.

That is what is scaring some people of. Big guy, who can down right dominate the board game and can go to the net with the puck easy. If you see a guy like that not use his size and coasting, you get frustrated.

But, you would be an IDIOT to pass him up by pick #4. Kid is still only 17, he could easily be something like Lecavalier if not a special player at the next level with more consistent effort.

4thliner*

Couturier getting picked at #5 or #8 makes no difference. They are both the same shock factor.

Consider that there is nothing separating 'the next top 4' guys of Strome, Huberdoe, Murphy, and Hamilton it doesn't matter if one of those guys goes before him or if they ALL go before he does.

Both are extreme

arsmaster*

That is what is scaring some people of. Big guy, who can down right dominate the board game and can go to the net with the puck easy. If you see a guy like that not use his size and coasting, you get frustrated.

But, you would be an IDIOT to pass him up by pick #4. Kid is still only 17, he could easily be something like Lecavalier if not a special player at the next level with more consistent effort.

He is 18.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
First couple steps aren't good. That's the big issue. He doesn't need to be an outstanding skater...but the explosiveness does need to be there.

He has also been unable to show a propensity to pull away from opponents with an extra gear or turn the corner driving wide. Instead pulling up and looking for an outlet. His decision making is quite delayed if you ask me. This is a big stumbling block for many players going pro. The time and space magnifies simple problems.

Does he have the work ethic and drive to overcome these obstacles and become more than just a two-way character shutdown role player with limited offensive upside like say, Jordan Staal?

A player that any team would love to have. But the key is not picking him over more talented players offensively and adding a player of his ilk with a later selection since they are more commonly found there then the more touted top 3.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
RLR can do whatever they want. it doesn't matter until the draft day comes. If I have the 1st overall pick, I would pick Sean Couturier, without any hesitation. He's been in under the microscope for far too long, just like Tavares was. I'm tired of everyone saying he's not flashy, etc. What has Larsson and RNH done that makes them better pick than SC? Did any of them lead their league in scoring in their 2nd year? Blablabla..Larsson is playing in a men's league. Of course, but it doesn't mean his game will translate better than SC's in the NHL. Sean Couturier had mono early in the season, and he still managed to get on team Canada's roster..playing EXTREMELY WELL for his ROLE, and still managed to finish 4th in the Q with 95 pts, despite missing 10 games because of the WJC, and even more because of his mono. This kid is the real deal and if you want a better version of Jordan Staal, who went 2nd overall in 2006, Couturier is the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->