RJ Umberger

Status
Not open for further replies.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Sorry if it has been discussed and I missed it, but what is going on with this guy? At the start of the year I heard he left school to go pro but then could'nt come to terms with the Canucks. So can someone tell me what is up with this kid? Is he playing anywhere?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
krooky said:
Sorry if it has been discussed and I missed it, but what is going on with this guy? At the start of the year I heard he left school to go pro but then could'nt come to terms with the Canucks. So can someone tell me what is up with this kid? Is he playing anywhere?
All I know is that it looks more and more like he will be ufa at the end of the year, as Burke is too stubborn to trade him it seems. Its one thing not to give into the money demands. But to simply let an asset go away for nothing is wreckless. Burke's gotta have a plan, he's too smart for this.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The draft pick the Canucks will get as compensation is better than his value is on the market, so he'll be a free agent at the end of the season and the 'Nucks will get a second round pick as compensation.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
The draft pick the Canucks will get as compensation is better than his value is on the market, so he'll be a free agent at the end of the season and the 'Nucks will get a second round pick as compensation.

The chances of getting a prospect as good as Umberger outside the first round, in a draft that's not as deep as 2003, are about 3/30. Good luck.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
The chances of getting a prospect as good as Umberger outside the first round, in a draft that's not as deep as 2003, are about 3/30. Good luck.

About as good as trading an unproven prospect for a mid-2nd round pick I figure...

The Canucks offered him what they thought was fair and always play hardball. He got dissheartened because the Canucks signed Arvedson and Keane and traded for Hedberg before they got around to dealing with him. And then they signed Ryan Kesler to a little better deal than what they had on the table for Umberger. RJ thought he should be the Canucks top priority and he simply was not.

Burke once said that he "wanted to shoot his scouting staff for making him draft Umberger." He doesn't like his work-ethic and inconsistancy.

He'll catch on somewhere (Pittsburgh or Columbus are my guesses) But he won't be a Canuck anytime soon. And the 46th overall pick is a lot more than the Canucks would get in trade for Umberger and is a nice asset to have, especially since we have no second rounder of our own.

osujacket

Sep 3, 2002
Central Ohio
Visit site
Can someone tell me why Vancouver will get a 2nd rounder for compensation if he leaves as an UFA. It seems just like the Kiel Mcleod situation where Cbus got zilch in return. What is the difference in this situation that makes Vancouver get a draft pick.

thanks

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
osujacket said:
Can someone tell me why Vancouver will get a 2nd rounder for compensation if he leaves as an UFA. It seems just like the Kiel Mcleod situation where Cbus got zilch in return. What is the difference in this situation that makes Vancouver get a draft pick.

thanks

Because he was a 1st round pick. So the compensation for losing him is a pick in the 2nd round at the same place, Umberger was drafted 16th overall, so the Canucks get the 46th (16th pick in the 2nd round) overall pick. See Adam Munro for Chicago last draft.

RJ then becomes a UFA, although I think he has the option to re-enter the draft. (which he won't do because he'll lose his 1st round pick status.)

This only happens for 1st round picks, hence the reason Columbus received no compensation for the loss of McLeod.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This might be a dumb question, but does Vancouver get compensation from the league or from the team who signs him?

For instance, if Pittsburgh or Columbus signs him in the offseason, would Vancouver then get either Pittsburgh's or Columbus' second rounder or does the league add an additional pick in there?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
This might be a dumb question, but does Vancouver get compensation from the league or from the team who signs him?

For instance, if Pittsburgh or Columbus signs him in the offseason, would Vancouver then get either Pittsburgh's or Columbus' second rounder or does the league add an additional pick in there?

It's an additional pick. There would be 31 picks (assuming there was no other compensation picks) in the 2nd round.

osujacket

Sep 3, 2002
Central Ohio
Visit site
Reign Nateo said:
Because he was a 1st round pick. So the compensation for losing him is a pick in the 2nd round at the same place, Umberger was drafted 16th overall, so the Canucks get the 46th (16th pick in the 2nd round) overall pick. See Adam Munro for Chicago last draft.

RJ then becomes a UFA, although I think he has the option to re-enter the draft. (which he won't do because he'll lose his 1st round pick status.)

This only happens for 1st round picks, hence the reason Columbus received no compensation for the loss of McLeod.

Thanks

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Reign Nateo said:
It's an additional pick. There would be 31 picks (assuming there was no other compensation picks) in the 2nd round.

That's what I assumed, because that's what we ended up getting for Robert Lang.

Thanks.

Quellet The Dogs Out

Aug 7, 2002
Philadelphia
Its funny I actually saw him around the rink over the holidays - my team went to Pittsburgh to play in the Directors Cup Scholastic Showcase, and we played his former team, Plum High School, on Friday night in the first game of the tournament and won 3-2 in OT. We beat a couple other real good teams and then lost in the Finals in OT.

Anyways, RJ was a good guy - I asked him why he wasn't in the NHL by now and he said "I dont really wanna talk about it." So I wasn't gonna bug him. Him and a few other top notch players skated during the skills competition, he was wearing a white team USA jersey.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Words can't describe how much I hope that the Penguins sign him.

Native boy(may not mean all that much to most teams, but given that Malone was the first Pittsburgh product to make it and just how popular he is among the average fan, it's huge here), solid prospect, and would cost us essentially nothing(besides, you know...money)

Last edited:

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Reign Nateo said:
About as good as trading an unproven prospect for a mid-2nd round pick I figure...

The Canucks offered him what they thought was fair and always play hardball. He got dissheartened because the Canucks signed Arvedson and Keane and traded for Hedberg before they got around to dealing with him. And then they signed Ryan Kesler to a little better deal than what they had on the table for Umberger. RJ thought he should be the Canucks top priority and he simply was not.

Burke once said that he "wanted to shoot his scouting staff for making him draft Umberger." He doesn't like his work-ethic and inconsistancy.

He'll catch on somewhere (Pittsburgh or Columbus are my guesses) But he won't be a Canuck anytime soon. And the 46th overall pick is a lot more than the Canucks would get in trade for Umberger and is a nice asset to have, especially since we have no second rounder of our own.

First of all, I think you, or at least your sources (all from the Vancouver side of things), are biased. Burke obviously didn't like Umberger but the fact is he is not a head case, is not all that inconsistent, and I've never heard he had poor work ethic. He's also a quality prospect and has been pretty highly regarded over the last few years as a guy who has good potential and was probably going to be an nhl'er. Vancouver low balled him and he said enough was enough, it wasn't even a matter of Umberger not being their top priority, it was more that he didn't seem to be much of a priority at all. Sure, the 46th pick is better then what they could get for trading him, however, odds are they will not get as good a prospect as Umberger. They could have had him for not much more than Kesler signed for had they desired to, but Vancouver obviously does not want him. RJ knows this now and he'll take a job elsewhere.

Barnabyboy

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Maybe a trade is already completed for him

Hey, just a crazy thought, maybe Vancouver and Pittsburgh already have a trade worked out, but Burke just wants Umberger to suffer as long as possible. Im sure Craig Patrick wouldn't mind, as he let Nedved sit (which was a great thing i think) to play hardball. Im sure Umberger is going to Pittsburgh, its his hometown, and with the success of Malone, why wouldnt they go after him?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why would they make a trade?

Either wait to the end of the season and get him for nothing or trade him for the equivelant of a mid second rounder.

It's not like we'll be heavily competing with 29 other teams, I'm sure other teams are interested but he's a hometown boy and that should mean alot to both parties involved.

I'd rather take the risk of waiting personally.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He would seem to be a perfect fit for Pittsburgh. Local kid, excellent upside, and pretty cheap. If they don't make an effort to sign him, something is seriously wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->