Rivalry with Minni?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I had no way of deducing you were a season ticket holder...

There is no rivalry between us and PHX.
Some Jets fans hate them, but most PHX fans don't have any ill feeling towards us (except for hoping for their demise at one point.) No player on the Jets has any reason to have ill will towards the Yotes. The rivalry you speak of is just some people in Winnipeg holding a nonsensical grudge towards PHX. That's not my definition of a rivalry at all.

Proximity and experience breeds contempt. That's why I think there will be a rivalry.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Not sure if I agree with you about the 'Yotes rivaly.
Personally I hate 'em. My heart was wrenched out when Phoenix "stole" my beloved Jets. I love cheering against the Coyotes at every opportunity I have.
Is it petty...Yes...
Is it juvenile....Yes..
but its heartfelt and true.....hate the Coyotes and everything it represents...Hockey in the desert...southern expansion....
I at least respect Minnesota...But sorry to say...hate the dessert dogs.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Most rivalries are heated and hated. Most Jets fans hate the Yotes making it a heated rivalry. I was around for the Oilers rivalry. Still don't like them. If a rivalry starts, it sure won't come from the Minnesota fans. It will be the Winnipeg fans. Passionate fans yes but booing other teams captains is just plain dumb. And I'm a season ticket holder.

The Coyotes and Jets aren't rivals. A bit of butthurt feeling on the part of Winnipeg fans doesn't make for a rivalry. The Jets 2.0 don't even show up on the Coyote fan's radar.

Edmonton already have two manufactured rivalrys with the Flames and the Canucks. There isn't much of a chance that their fans are going to care too much about another Canadian team from another division.

Stop buying into the CBC Canadian team "rivalry" hype.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: @ they stole our team!!

:facepalm: I totally forgot that our franchise was doing so well before the move! :sarcasm:
Blaming PHX would be like Atlanta blaming us. Luckily for the most part Thrasher fans realize that AEG ****ed them over, not winnipeg.

But whatever keep blaming PHX and pretending that we were a sustainable franchise in 1996.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I do believe that with time the Wild/Jets "Rivaly" will be awesome. Just the fact that we both lost our franchises and to get them back.. That we are both passionate hockey fans with deep rooted hockey knowledge.

I'm going to the Jets/Wild game in Winnipeg this year and If I see a Wild fan in line for beer I'll buy him one...Just cause

This precisely. I'm actually looking forward to a rivalry with them because of the geography, and as the season ramps up I'm sure the intensity will come!

seasontixholder*

Here's something to think about. Do you think Buff, Wheeler, or Stuart are going to be part of that rivalry being from Minni? I don't know, just asking.

Puckschmuck*

Most rivalries are heated and hated. Most Jets fans hate the Yotes making it a heated rivalry.

There is no rivalry with Phoenix. Winnipeggers "hate" Phoenix for the obvious reason; they took our team and have treated it horribly over the last 17 years. That is why I hate Phoenix, as do most Winnipeggers.

That isn't a rivalry; that is just plan hate.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Here's something to think about. Do you think Buff, Wheeler, or Stuart are going to be part of that rivalry being from Minni? I don't know, just asking.

I can't answer for you because I'm not them, but thinking back to the games we played against them in our first season, I believe I remember Buff being pretty physical on them, really manhandling them sometimes, and getting under their skin.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Yes.
It's not a hate of the city.
Intense games will lead to dislike amongst the TEAMS.

A rivalry doesn't mean you want the city burnt to the ground. It just means there is extra emotion in the games. I see zero reason why where there from would have an impact. The rivalry is with the Wild, not with the city.

Puckschmuck*

Not the banjo bowl rivalry where we've got drunken loogans starting fights with Rider fans whether we win or lose. Seen too many of those happen at Banjo bowls over the years.

Ever been to a game in Regina? Rider fans spitting at and cusing out Bomber fans out of pure drunken stupidity. Most Rider fans I know are pure redneck ****heads, and that is why I HATE the Riders fanbase.

Puckschmuck*

No, there is no rivalry with Minny at the moment. But it will develop, and I for one will enjoy every minute of it and intend to go to a game or two down there.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ever been to a game in Regina? Rider fans spitting at and cusing out Bomber fans out of pure drunken stupidity. Most Rider fans I know are pure redneck ****heads, and that is why I HATE the Riders fanbase.

Nope, I wouldn't submit myself to that kind of crap. Only commented on Banjo bowl because that's all I've seen. But if Bomber fans are responding in kind, well that's really taking the high ground, ain't it? ;)

Most Rider fans I know are family. Went to the Banjo bowl with them twice. Most of them are women. Pretty sure they've been to Labour Day Classic and didn't spit on anyone, but then you did say most.

That's actually what I love about Vikings fans. Maybe they're tepid towards their team but I've been down there for lots of games and lots of fans of the visiting team were there and were all pretty much treated with respect and it was reciprocated. Sort of what I'd expect from a Jets-Wild rivalry. Of course since we're talking exceptions the Browns fans last weekend were pretty dickish as a group.

Last edited:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
There is no rivalry with Phoenix. Winnipeggers "hate" Phoenix for the obvious reason; they took our team and have treated it horribly over the last 17 years. That is why I hate Phoenix, as do most Winnipeggers.

That isn't a rivalry; that is just plan hate.

To be fair they haven't treated the franchise any worse than how Winnipeg treated it.
Depended on 7-11 to put fans in the stands.
Treated it with a sense of entitlement instead of a privilege.
If things weren't going well on the ice we had to listen to boos and *****ing from fans all night.

The only Winnipeggers that I have ever come into contact with that hate Phoenix are the ones on hockey forums.

Puckschmuck*

To be fair they haven't treated the franchise any worse than how Winnipeg treated it.
Depended on 7-11 to put fans in the stands.
Treated it with a sense of entitlement instead of a privilege.
If things weren't going well on the ice we had to listen to boos and *****ing from fans all night.

The only Winnipeggers that I have ever come into contact with that hate Phoenix are the ones on hockey forums.

You must live in a very sheltered world my friend. There are more people out there that hate the Coyotes than on internet forums. PLENTY more.

And to think the franchise was treated badly up here in the same way as it has been in the dusty desert (IE bankruptcy, 5000 in attendance often, no support at team rally's, etc.) is laughable at best. But go ahead and keep giving them a free pass; may as well since the NHL has done the same to keep a failing market in the league :) Bird's of a feather............

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
You must live in a very sheltered world my friend. There are more people out there that hate the Coyotes than on internet forums. PLENTY more.

And to think the franchise was treated badly up here in the same way as it has been in the dusty desert (IE bankruptcy, 5000 in attendance often, no support at team rally's, etc.) is laughable at best. But go ahead and keep giving them a free pass; may as well since the NHL has done the same to keep a failing market in the league :) Bird's of a feather............

I personally have no problem with the Coyotes but i agree with you to say the only people who hate the coyotes up here are on the Internet is completely wrong.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

I'd say the NHL mistreated the team, not the city.

If the vast majority of people there simply aren't interested maybe the NHL should have just a move happen

Maybe I don't quite understand the hate because I wasn't a Jets 1.0 fan.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I'd say the NHL mistreated the team, not the city.

If the vast majority of people there simply aren't interested maybe the NHL should have just a move happen

Maybe I don't quite understand the hate because I wasn't a Jets 1.0 fan.

There are plenty of Jets 1.0 fans that don't understand the hate either. History has been skewed to make it seem as though the NHL and Bettman conspired to screw Winnipeg and pander to Phoenix for years.

This conveniently glosses over : 1) The then-owner of the Jets, Barry Shenkarow played the victim but actually flipped the team to turn a profit for himself; and 2) The NHL now tries to maintain teams based on lessons learned from Winnipeg et al. (but thank goodness gave in wrt. Atlanta).

Even if the NHL conspired to screw over Winnipeg, and do anything for Phoenix, I still don't see how that motivates a hatred for the city of Phoenix.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
There are plenty of Jets 1.0 fans that don't understand the hate either. History has been skewed to make it seem as though the NHL and Bettman conspired to screw Winnipeg and pander to Phoenix for years.

This conveniently glosses over : 1) The then-owner of the Jets, Barry Shenkarow played the victim but actually flipped the team to turn a profit for himself; and 2) The NHL now tries to maintain teams based on lessons learned from Winnipeg et al. (but thank goodness gave in wrt. Atlanta).

Even if the NHL conspired to screw over Winnipeg, and do anything for Phoenix, I still don't see how that motivates a hatred for the city of Phoenix.

I posted an article here from 1995 from the Free Press archives a couple of years back from when the NHL came up with a list of last minute demands that made the sale to MEC virtually impossible. I think the deck was stacked against them to begin with and they had zero to little chance of making it work but Gary moving the goalposts near the finish line sure didn't help any. I believed then and still do that at the time the NHL had little will or patience to try making Wpg, QC, or Hartford work and was only too happy to ride off into the sunset. The Coyotes were like living proof that the NHL didn't want us. Their logo may as well have been the golden boy and a middle finger. It was from there that my burning hatred of the Coyotes was born. Since then I've wished the team nothing but failure and bad luck. Then again I have 29 teams that I hate. :)

I'd love to see the Jets 2.0 meet them in the playoffs and send them packing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad