GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
DatePick
11/24/18Arizona + 2 vs Arizona State
11/24/18Florida State + 8 vs Florida
11/24/18Utah State + 2.5 vs Boise State
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Arizona loses to ASU 41-40, so they still cover!

Florida State blown out at home. I hope Taggert has those boosters convinced that Jimbo had terrible recruits.

Utah State loses on the blue turf by 12

If you're going to be the expert bettor on set, you should probably be doing a lot better than .500.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Arizona loses to ASU 41-40, so they still cover!

Florida State blown out at home. I hope Taggert has those boosters convinced that Jimbo had terrible recruits.

Utah State loses on the blue turf by 12

If you're going to be the expert bettor on set, you should probably be doing a lot better than .500.

Yet another reason Gameday is an unwatchable show these days. They actually did come to Orlando so can't completely hate them but their "experts" aren't very good.

As for the rankings the committee is going to forget that Ohio State lost by 29, should've also lost last week if the QB just makes a better pass as well. They'll forget that Oklahoma has a loss and should've another a few weeks ago if the OSU QB makes the 2pt throw a second earlier. They'll forget that Georgia was stomped by 20 and their best win is against an overrated Florida team. UCF would most likely lose to Alabama and Clemson, would love a go at ND for sure, but every other team is going to lose to them too. I'll be shocked if the final isn't Alabama vs Clemson yet again, not giving an undefeated team the chamch since they aren't P5 is a joke.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
Since I didn't really get an answer on the purpose of Bear I'm just going to assume they put him on for lines and gambling which again I don't really care about. I didn't follow football to make money or bet on games. I follow for love of rivalry and action. And yeah, Gameday isn't much watchable these days. I only watch the last 10 minutes for the guest pickers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yet another reason Gameday is an unwatchable show these days. They actually did come to Orlando so can't completely hate them but their "experts" aren't very good.

As for the rankings the committee is going to forget that Ohio State lost by 29, should've also lost last week if the QB just makes a better pass as well. They'll forget that Oklahoma has a loss and should've another a few weeks ago if the OSU QB makes the 2pt throw a second earlier. They'll forget that Georgia was stomped by 20 and their best win is against an overrated Florida team. UCF would most likely lose to Alabama and Clemson, would love a go at ND for sure, but every other team is going to lose to them too. I'll be shocked if the final isn't Alabama vs Clemson yet again, not giving an undefeated team the chamch since they aren't P5 is a joke.

The committee once put Ohio State in the playoff after they ran the table after a Week 2 home loss to a down-Virginia Tech, and double overtime win against a down/sanctioned-Penn State and they won the national title, so one bad loss and a close call against another doesn't preclude them from the playoff. Oklahoma, however, did lose to a better team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The committee once put Ohio State in the playoff after they ran the table after a Week 2 home loss to a down-Virginia Tech, and double overtime win against a down/sanctioned-Penn State and they won the national title, so one bad loss and a close call against another doesn't preclude them from the playoff. Oklahoma, however, did lose to a better team.
Who were the other candidates that year? I don't know off the top of my head but I don't believe there was this many undefeated or potential 1 loss champs to choose from. Just because you lost doesn't automatically eliminate you but being eliminated for being a G5 team seems exceptable.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Who were the other candidates that year? I don't know off the top of my head but I don't believe there was this many undefeated or potential 1 loss champs to choose from. Just because you lost doesn't automatically eliminate you but being eliminated for being a G5 team seems exceptable.
That was the year TCU and Baylor tied for the Big 12 title and were ranked 4 and 5 and the committee basically said that they need to bring back their conference championship game. Ohio State jumped both of them after they beat (11) Wisconsin 59-0

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The heavy slant towards offense IMHO is not good for college football. 50-60 point games are becoming way too frequent. Seems like anyone can throw for 30 TD's and basically too many teams are loaded with fast guys. Apparently, having a top defense doesn't matter anymore. Can't play physical clockball

Remember what Auburn did to Oregon in the national title game, holding them to 19 points? Fat chance that happens nowadays

member 157595

The heavy slant towards offense IMHO is not good for college football. 50-60 point games are becoming way too frequent. Seems like anyone can throw for 30 TD's and basically too many teams are loaded with fast guys. Apparently, having a top defense doesn't matter anymore. Can't play physical clockball

Remember what Auburn did to Oregon in the national title game, holding them to 19 points? Fat chance that happens nowadays

Offense usually trumps defense in the NFL too unless you have a generational defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

You do know Auburn ran the same type of up tempo spread offense and only put up 22 right? With a generational QB. You can still be physical and play fast. See Oklahoma and Alabama. Maybe stop relying on outdated counting stats in regards to defense.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
So, will it be the Wolverines or the Bayou Bengals that will take the (Not So) Coveted 5th Spot in ESPN.com's Bottom 10 today?

Edit: Sorry, Maize & Blue, but Yeesh-igan was awarded the (Not So) Coveted 5th Spot.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'd like to see the Conference title games eliminated. Have an eight team playoff system with the Big Five conference champions and 3 wild card teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad