Risto comments on Buffalo's culture

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I use to not like Risto because he seemed like a massive faux tough guy, but now I hope he goes somewhere he can enjoy hockey again.

Isn't Eichel a gym rat ?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Ha way to ignore that ROR is a top defensive forward in the league and Eichel is a defensive liability

Did you even watch Eichel last year? Or at all? His defensive game improved drastically. He missed three weeks and still finished top five in shots and before getting hurt in December he was fourth in offensive zone posession. Which are two underrated
Parts of being good defensively.

What an overused term, any time a young scoring forward isn’t a beast defensively and has a bad plus minus (he was actually like a plus 9 in December before injury too) on a bad team that allows a ton of goals (with no goaltending defense or structure) he’s labelled a “defensive liability”.

Oh and where did I forget that? Seems like that’s all you do know about the two players.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Didnt Sabres fans say the same thing about ROR? Maybe the Sabres need to look in the mirror.

Maybe the sabres need to look in the mirror?

Right, no one on buffalo is taking any accountability. That’s precisely the issue!

It’s not like Eichel hasn’t blamed
Himself for his team Sucking two years in a row at the season end pressures, it’s not like our didn’t just fire a sabres legend at coaching after just two years or out owner didn’t re-do his staff.

They’ve been looking in the mirror just fine. Maybe you should. I think you’re even a leaf fan if so the irony is real. They can’t fire Babcock and look in the mirror after his stubborn ways have made sure they haven’t won a playoff serious since people like alexei zhitnik were still in the league.

By the way I’m sick of people using ROR as a reason to bash buffalo. ROR has an amazing season and is a very good player but his comments drove himself out. Yeah he went on to greater things because he joined an awesome teaM. The fact is ROR was headed no where but dead last if a goaltender and coach didn’t save there season. That’s not even an opinion ether, that was the trajectory and the blues are a real team.

Let’s hot act like he just left and went all world. Once his TEAM got into the playoffs because they were a good team to begin with but were playing god awful even though ROR was leading them in scoring at New Years and did little to change the team other then make them dead last, but once this good team got a real coach and a goalie who could stop a puck they got their stuff together.

ROR had one of the best cup
Finals ever but was extremely Underwhelming in the first Three rounds, and in the final he wasn’t even the best player. In fact Peitrangelo who had the cup winner and binnington were the best two. And they were the better plays collectively all playoffs, in the finals ROR wAs the best but this isn’t a finals MVP award. It was funny seeing Bettman try and justify giving him the smythe for entire playoffs, go back and watch it, it looks like he’s trying I justify something “this guy did lead them
In scoring in the regular season” (barely like and playoffs (barely) a dman almost had
More points. That’s when you know the dman and captain likely should of won it.

And you are just bashing the sabres and didn’t even read the thread.

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
It's coming from Andrew Ference. He said a bunch of stuff on a podcast last winter about the organization. Nugent-Hopkins later said he didn't know what Ference was talking about and rolled his eyes when a reporter asked about the practice thing.

Well maybe RNH should've listened to his Captain and hit the gym more often, that guy is built like a twig. I honestly think my kid sister could take him in a fight.

(Pittsburgh) were in financial distress not paying anyone more than tanking.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that the Pens almost got moved out of town once upon a time.

(Eichel) missed three weeks and still finished top five in shots and before getting hurt in December he was fourth in offensive zone posession. Which are two underrated
Parts of being good defensively.

What does number of shots have to do with being good defensively? 4th in Offensive zone possession? How often did he start in the O-zone?

Now the kid may indeed have improved defensively but all this does is remind me of Oilers' fans when they compared RNH to Datsyuk defensively.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Well maybe RNH should've listened to his Captain and hit the gym more often, that guy is built like a twig. I honestly think my kid sister could take him in a fight.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that the Pens almost got moved out of town once upon a time.

What does number of shots have to do with being good defensively? 4th in Offensive zone possession? How often did he start in the O-zone?

Now the kid may indeed have improved defensively but all this does is remind me of Oilers' fans when they compared RNH to Datsyuk defensively.

Number of shots can be an underrated aspect of being ok defensively because it shows That you’re in the offensive zone a lot. As why I told you about possession And shots after all isn’t corsi sort of based on this type of thing? Being good offensively and dictating the play is an extremely underrated part of being good defensively. And remember I’m not even claiming he’s very good defensively he’s just not a “defensive liability” because that would suggest he’s a liability. And he even improved big time defensively overall last year. If you’re going to throw shade on someone who is one dimensional and a true defensive liability at least do this where still applicable like Laine and stay away from stereotypical cliches for those who aren’t a fit.

Also your point about ozone draws is moot for a few reasons.

-he’s not very great at faceoffs so again when he has such high offensive Zone possession numbers is mostly due to his incredible skating/transition numbers. (One end leads to the other, there’s more to defense then just stuff in the defensive zone.) he He was even better then mcdavid then this at the age of 19 for first place in the NHL. So It’s not because he’s getting so many ozone draws considering he doesent even win half of them, very few players in this league where they step over the boards and onto the ice can dictate the entire pace and flow of the game just from their presence alone. I’d say Eichel is literally top two or three for how different a team looks without him on the ice and with him. Mcdavid the other and find another amazing player on a bad team and perhaps him too, perhaps Barkov or Mackinnon. Gaudreau and Marner and other guys like Kane who drive the offense on their teams are noticeable due to Transition and dominance with the puck. Driving their teams offense, so all of them from
This alone are at the very least decent defensively. And surely not a liability when you carry the offense as an elite player.

-there is no other center on buffalo to put in the ozone. He had more points then the second line center (around 50 more) then any first line center last year. Buffalo is literally abysmal without him on the ice which is two thirds of every game! No wonder they’re an abysmal Team.

Lastly how on earth does this remind you of Oiler fans comparing RNH to Datsyuk defensively, I’m not saying eichels in rors league let alone better defensively, I’m just saying he’s not a defensive liability and what he has far out weighs what ror has all around so not only Was that comparison awful because I never said he was better defensively it was also wrong on ever level because RNH isn’t close to Datsyuk while Eichel is comfortably better then ROR. So your blowing this defensive aspect up taking it strange places. And yes he is comfortably better then ROR because the things he does well, he does very well and they far outweigh the oppositions assets or else every hockey site, every ratings list every person would list him over Eichel as a top center but they don’t because he isn’t, again the guy had two chances and was more experienced to outscore the kid who was injured for a couple months when given his same spot and failed to do it. This defensive stuff isn’t his fortay, or what makes his game the elite level it is but it’s something he’s payed more attention too and has visibly gotten better at. I wonder how often you even have watched him play. Serious question. Over or under ten?

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
So I guess Risto is definitely done in Buffalo?

Are you being serious? What was your take that made you believe this on this other then the thread title ?

And if he is it’s because Botterill has stock piled defensemen and the sabres have like a dozen, doesent mean their loaded with defensive talent just means there’s too many.

A risto trade has been rumored for so long and if it happens it will be more because of that, and because his value is still high at 25, the guy will flourish if he goes to say a great team and was there 2-4, more Help, less responsibility and experience would up his game big Time. If the sabres want to add a top six forward or top nine forward and a pixk or two he’s the guy to go you’d think. This article is highly “off season contrived”.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
blah blah blah a lot of words blah blah blah paragraphs blah blah blah
You probably write a lot of good takes, but holy hell are they long and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who skips right over them. 4/10 posts on this page before me now were yours for a total of 1,310 words and 7,062 characters. The other 6 posts had 176 words and 928 characters total.

Tone it down.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Hes saying he doesnt want to seem like a kiss ass, not that anyone has ever thought that. Seems more like someone worried about perception than a locker room problem. Guys that used to show up 2 hours early were considered leadership material, Risto just comes off as caring too much about what others might think.

The locker room mentality makes people want to fit in, not rock the boat. When you're actually going above and beyond it's easy to worry that coaches will single you out as an example to follow, effectively moving you from the us category to the them catagory. In my opinion though, that's what a struggling team needs, competition rather than complacency. You come in and hour early, I'll come in two hours early, someone else three hours early. Show you love your job and take it seriously, success will come from that guaranteed.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
You probably write a lot of good takes, but holy hell are they long and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who skips right over them. 4/10 posts on this page before me now were yours for a total of 1,310 words and 7,062 characters. The other 6 posts had 176 words and 928 characters total.

Tone it down.

I’ve honestly never heard this criticism before.

Enlightening, thought provoking and bonus points for originality. If I wanted ideas on how to post on a forum I’ve been on for over 15 years I’d ask for them. In the mean time, thanks tips.

I mean your research is fascinating but honestly you do you, I do me. I couldn’t care less how many skip, as long as I get my points across my way in that whole freedom of speech type way, I do me just fine. I’m not here to win a popularity contest.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad