Risto comments on Buffalo's culture

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think the question is: what made him feel that way?

He says quite literally "Going to the hall two hours early felt like others would see it as ass kissing".

Right, and I guess I'd say that can just be a Risto thing, it's not necessarily about the culture. Like, I'd worry about the same thing in that situation, and that's just me. I understand wanting to read more into it, but I feel he'd be more guarded were he actually commenting on the team's culture. This sounds kinda bad, but that makes me think he meant nothing and doesn't feel there's an issue. Otherwise I hope it would be expressed in other ways, but who knows? I just don't see Risto throwing his team under the bus like that, dude has been through worse things than workout situations in Buffalo and hasn't complained.

edit- I understand it's about more than the workout situation, but ya get my meaning- dude's played 25 minutes a night with shit teammates, if he felt they weren't trying or were creating a lazy anti-work atmosphere I think we'd know through some other way

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Uh? I’d rather use my eyeballs.

He couldn’t even outscore Eichel when jack missed two months of the season..twice...and he even got his role and everything.and Eichel was only 19 and 20.

You might want to make a poll.

Eichel has sure impacted the Sabres to an impactful under .500 team. :sarcasm:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I've iterated several times that Jack Eichel is a narcissistic locker room cancer and I have zero doubt that he is involved in this somewhere. He drove ROR out of Buffalo, and it appears Risto is next.

Yes let’s blame a guy for no reason...lol

Can always rely on IPS for high tier posts

Reactions: sabremike and Rasmi

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
I think it's about him working out in the team gym that made him feel that way, not working out in general. Like he fears others might think he's training there because he wants the coaches too see him instead of using his own gym like everyone else.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Uh? I’d rather use my eyeballs.

He couldn’t even outscore Eichel when jack missed two months of the season..twice...and he even got his role and everything.and Eichel was only 19 and 20.

You might want to make a poll.
Ha way to ignore that ROR is a top defensive forward in the league and Eichel is a defensive liability

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
W's and L's?

Overly simplified- the lineup has been ugly and the coaching awful, given those factors I'd say the wins and losses reflect those issues and not so much effort. I've complained about effort with the Sabres before, but the last few years they just haven't had the talent.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He didnt say guys would give him a hard time he said he didnt want to look like he was a try hard basically. Thats a pretty weird admission lol doubt coaches would find any flaw in practicing a bit earlier than anyone else.

I think everyone can recall a point in their life when this mentality was pervasive - how it's "uncool" to really put in the work and show you care. I mean, I can totally remember a time when I was like.. 12-13 when this was the case in middle school.

If this mentality is actually still a thing in an NHL lockerroom.. good lord. Buffalo has a huge problem on their hands.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Overly simplified- the lineup has been ugly and the coaching awful, given those factors I'd say the wins and losses reflect those issues and not so much effort. I've complained about effort with the Sabres before, but the last few years they just haven't had the talent.

It is overly simplified and unfair.

Your post seemed to basically be summarized as: it's hard to believe what he is saying is true because I would hope he wouldn't say that in public.

That is an odd take from where I sit. But to be honest this isn't an issue I care just a ton about. Risto will probably get traded relatively soon and perhaps blossom elsewhere.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Yea why won't everyone just do that and become first pairing D-men?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. He's always been in impeccable shape. I'd just prefer if he put in those extra hours working on the glaring flaws in his game. Maybe he does and it just doesn't translate, I don't know.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm not sure what you're getting at. He's always been in impeccable shape. I'd just prefer if he put in those extra hours working on the glaring flaws in his game. Maybe he does and it just doesn't translate, I don't know.
Where I'm getting at is that you've no clue what he's doing and not everyone's going to become a top player, no matter how much work they put in.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

Theres a reason hes always in impeccable shape.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Pretty obvious there is a bully situation going on in Buffalo.
Bullying? Obviously?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Jeremy2020

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I've iterated several times that Jack Eichel is a narcissistic locker room cancer and I have zero doubt that he is involved in this somewhere. He drove ROR out of Buffalo, and it appears Risto is next.
Maybe Jack is the bully?

Do we have a full fledged bullying conspiracy theory in the Sabres fitness center? Maybe Jack whips him in the butt too hard with his towel?

Reactions: Rasmi

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton Oilers culture 2.0

I have no idea what’s going on in Buffalo. Last season I heard ROR was the problem, all he did was lead a team to a cup.

Hoping Ralph changes this around.

That had a lot to do with Hall, Hopkins, Schultz and Eberle.
Nobody else was cool enough to hang out with them when Hall was running the show.
There were stories in the media about this when Ference was our team captain.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I read it as one of two things:

1. He is scared to outdo someone(s) and be shamed or bullied for it.

or

2. He is working hard and no one else is

I'm leaning towards 2.

How funny that this is ROR v2. Risto lost the love of the game and instead of Buffalo changing their environment, they'll ship him out of town and swear at him the whole way out. Never change Sabres, never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad