Risto comments on Buffalo's culture

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Edmonton Oilers culture 2.0

I have no idea what’s going on in Buffalo. Last season I heard ROR was the problem, all he did was lead a team to a cup.

Hoping Ralph changes this around.
You think Edmonton players get ripped for trying hard? Their captain is Connor McDavid.

Reactions: thadd

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Word is when he's doing his early workouts he has this picture hanging on the wall for inspiration:

jBx6Fcp.jpg

He looks like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers movies

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That was the feel of that organization for probably 5-6 years prior to McDavid.
If that's true--and I'm not discounting that theory--you're commenting on the leadership at that point in time. The most prominent player being Taylor Hall.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
A culture where if you work out early the guys give you a hard time for being a keener?

Seems to be a "thing" nowadays. See the reports regarding the same kind of mentality surrounding the Oilers when Eakins was coach. Players being mocked for trying too hard in practice. Strange.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It's pretty clear there's a culture issue in Buffalo. I think that's been obvious for a long time, usually that's what happens when you do everything you can to lose.

Reactions: Iapyi

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If that's true--and I'm not discounting that theory--you're commenting on the leadership at that point in time. The most prominent player being Taylor Hall.
It's coming from Andrew Ference. He said a bunch of stuff on a podcast last winter about the organization. Nugent-Hopkins later said he didn't know what Ference was talking about and rolled his eyes when a reporter asked about the practice thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff and belair

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I've iterated several times that Jack Eichel is a narcissistic locker room cancer and I have zero doubt that he is involved in this somewhere. He drove ROR out of Buffalo, and it appears Risto is next.

From that interview in Finnish (that was linked in 1st post) you don't get that impression. Actually Risto comments directly to the question ("What kind of guy is Eichel?") that Eichel is a nice guy, a good friend and a very good captain.

About Dahlin he comments that he's still very raw and somewhat immature (e.g. his breakfasts often consist of hamburgers and fries), but has huge potential and skills. He went to comment that once Dahlin fills into his frame, he's going to be super good.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I've iterated several times that Jack Eichel is a narcissistic locker room cancer and I have zero doubt that he is involved in this somewhere. He drove ROR out of Buffalo, and it appears Risto is next.
You know him personally?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
lol and people are pegging Buffalo to take a step forward this year? they're just as bad as Edmonton

What in God’s
Name gave you reason to write this.

Did you even read the article? Or did you just go look a catchy title where I can write about buffalo and how they’re going to suck.

Buffalo did take a step forward last year, they improved 16 points.

And if you don’t think Buffalo didn’t improve in the off season by letting go housley and adding a great motivator as a coach, as well as the hurricanes goalie coach who worked wonders with mrAZEK AND CURTIS MC. I don’t know what to tell ya. No ones rally saying they’re going to make the playoffs but the additions of olofsson to the lineup should Be noticeable, essentially adding Brandon montour (rather then playing for just a month he gets a full
Camp) Henri Jokiharju Colin Miller Marcus Johansson jimmy vesey in addition to olofsson, pilut and perhaps
Ukko pekka Luukonen, plus a full year of experience will help Ullmark and mittlestadt whole Reinhart and Eichel have kept
Improving every season. They won’t be great but I have a hard time seeing them still getting 76 points. Skinner gets a closer to prime Eichel and has a contract to live up
Too, Hutton has a contract to play for and Ullmark like I said should be more comfortable and if not UPL is on the way.

So yeah they should take a step forward. Not a giant one but one none the less.

Reactions: Feniggles

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

Funny how not one player has ever said a bad thing about eichel past or present.

Narcissistic cancer. Involved in what? Did you even read the story? There wasn’t anything to it and people just couldn’t wait (leaf fans) to get in here buffalo Sucks Eichel Sucks!!!! Eichels
Never even had a NHL coach, starting goalie, or Depth scoring.

But it’s the 22 year olds fault who has scored 201 Pts in 203 games on league low offenses matched up against the best players every shift?

Also that’s why he was made captain. That’s why before his injury in December he was captain of a team first place in the entire national hockey league amongst being seventh in points, third in assists and fourth in offensive zone possession.

He is the reason skinner signed here and then re signed.

He also helped skinner to his first fourty year season.

Odd thing for a narcaccistic cancer.

Oh and eichels Old buddy from college Evan Rodrigues talks about how good of a guy he is all the time.

The fans love him too.

Even people who previously
Reported on him having a bad attitude
Came around last year and said he matured and became a man since taking the c.

It’s not his fault he joined a god awful team just like it’s not mcdavids.

And please quit using RORs great season as a way to badh Eichel, no one even thinks ROR is better then Eichel like you once claimed even after winning the conn smythe and be drove himself out with his comments... he had nothing but good things to Say about him when he won the cup by the way you just hate Eichel and it’s fine.

So ROR was headed no where but dead last if the blues didn’t get a coach or a goalie. No team in NHL history has made the playoffs after being that far down in the standings that late let alone win the cup, binnington changed everything. ROR wAs lead the team in scoring at the time they were dead last and that was doing nothing to change the blues. They are what A TEAM IS. They are built from defense to forward, which is why ROR didn’t start scoring 100 pts and lead the playoffs in scoring in some crazy way ahead of his
Teammates by a lot...a defensemen almost passed him in points. And again binnington is the reason they made it to begin with. Just because ROR went all world and won the smythe doesent mean he takes success everywhere he goes the dude had literally lost everywhere he went and nobody on these forums Seem to respect or appreciate what binnington did. Not enough anyway

You talk nonsense when it comes to Eichel
Because you dont like him, that’s the only thing you’ve reiterated for three years. You have literally no evidence other then bogus tinfoil hat theories.

Reactions: Hasa92

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
as well as the hurricanes goalie coach who worked wonders with mrAZEK AND CURTIS MC.

While I do agree that the Sabres should take a step forward, mainly driven by the addition of Krueger, I think you are giving the goalie coach a bit too much credit.

Canes had an excellent defense and were a strong puck possession team, yet Mrazek had a sv% that was only .003 better than his career average. McElhinney has his lowest sv% in 4 years, albeit with more games played. The same way I don’t blame that coach for the poor performance of Darling and Ward, I don’t think we know enough to say he “worked wonders” with 2 guys that performed as expected behind a solid team.

Reactions: cptjeff

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
While I do agree that the Sabres should take a step forward, mainly driven by the addition of Krueger, I think you are giving the goalie coach a bit too much credit.

Canes had an excellent defense and were a strong puck possession team, yet Mrazek had a sv% that was only .003 better than his career average. McElhinney has his lowest sv% in 4 years, albeit with more games played. The same way I don’t blame that coach for the poor performance of Darling and Ward, I don’t think we know enough to say he “worked wonders” with 2 guys that performed as expected behind a solid team.

Well I was just mentioning it I do think goalie coaches can be overrrated and underrated equally

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Funny how not one player has ever said a bad thing about eichel past or present.

Narcissistic cancer. Involved in what? Did you even read the story? There wasn’t anything to it and people just couldn’t wait (leaf fans) to get in here buffalo Sucks Eichel Sucks!!!! Eichels
Never even had a NHL coach, starting goalie, or Depth scoring.

But it’s the 22 year olds fault who has scored 201 Pts in 203 games on league low offenses matched up against the best players every shift?

Also that’s why he was made captain. That’s why before his injury in December he was captain of a team first place in the entire national hockey league amongst being seventh in points, third in assists and fourth in offensive zone possession.

He is the reason skinner signed here and then re signed.

He also helped skinner to his first fourty year season.

Odd thing for a narcaccistic cancer.

Oh and eichels Old buddy from college Evan Rodrigues talks about how good of a guy he is all the time.

The fans love him too.

Even people who previously
Reported on him having a bad attitude
Came around last year and said he matured and became a man since taking the c.

It’s not his fault he joined a god awful team just like it’s not mcdavids.

And please quit using RORs great season as a way to badh Eichel, no one even thinks ROR is better then Eichel like you once claimed even after winning the conn smythe and be drove himself out with his comments... he had nothing but good things to Say about him when he won the cup by the way you just hate Eichel and it’s fine.

So ROR was headed no where but dead last if the blues didn’t get a coach or a goalie. No team in NHL history has made the playoffs after being that far down in the standings that late let alone win the cup, binnington changed everything. ROR wAs lead the team in scoring at the time they were dead last and that was doing nothing to change the blues. They are what A TEAM IS. They are built from defense to forward, which is why ROR didn’t start scoring 100 pts and lead the playoffs in scoring in some crazy way ahead of his
Teammates by a lot...a defensemen almost passed him in points. And again binnington is the reason they made it to begin with. Just because ROR went all world and won the smythe doesent mean he takes success everywhere he goes the dude had literally lost everywhere he went and nobody on these forums Seem to respect or appreciate what binnington did. Not enough anyway

You talk nonsense when it comes to Eichel
Because you dont like him, that’s the only thing you’ve reiterated for three years. You have literally no evidence other then bogus tinfoil hat theories.
You might want to sit down.....

There are plenty of statistics that show ROR is the more impactful player

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
You might want to sit down.....

There are plenty of statistics that show ROR is the more impactful player

Uh? I’d rather use my eyeballs.

He couldn’t even outscore Eichel when jack missed two months of the season..twice...and he even got his role and everything.and Eichel was only 19 and 20.

You might want to make a poll.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Eichel all day every day, no need for a poll.

As one of the most improved teams from last season, yes.

I know he seems to think corsi or plus minus/faceoffs make someone a better player one thing about ROR though is he fit the blues team very well.

That was his identity so while the blues would be more talented with Eichel then ror, I can’t say they’d be better for sure because some guys make some teams go with their style.

However it would be interesting to see Eichel playing on a team that had depth, defense, goaltending and a coach. He might thrive in that spot.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Am I the only one who sees this as being much ado about nothing? Once he got a gym he felt self-conscious being the only guy working out in the team facility, felt it might look like showing off. Don't get me wrong, he might be implying more, but all he did was voice a pretty understandable sentiment. Same thing with enjoying hockey less. Ya man, losing sucks, hopefully that changes soon. Like- I think if he felt the team didn't put in the effort off the ice he woulda censored himself on this, but instead it's just kinda an offhand comment and more about his own psychology than some dig at the team. He's a gym rat, but he doesn't like showing off. I'll take that at face value.

I think it's a pretty massive leap to assume this speaks to an issue with Eichel, the culture, etc. People hate Eichel why? He didn't like Bylsma? I didn't either, I doubt you do, and he's not a good coach, so.. I don't really care. I haven't seen signs of not caring/partying too much or anything, they've just been bad teams under bad coaches. Once again, hopefully that's changing.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Am I the only one who sees this as being much ado about nothing? Once he got a gym he felt self-conscious being the only guy working out in the team facility, felt it might look like showing off.
I think the question is: what made him feel that way?

He says quite literally "Going to the hall two hours early felt like others would see it as ass kissing".

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's a pretty big red flag if working hard makes you feel so different from others and would draw attention to yourself. Shouldn't everyone be working hard and working hard be normal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad