Risto comments on Buffalo's culture

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/nhlwam/season-7-osa-24/

From 5:10 onwards

It talks about how he may have asked Buffalo about a trade, and he elaborates here

"Back before I had the gym I went to the hall (training facility), I went there a bit early to work out but then I kind of felt awkward, you know like I'm going there to kiss ass and the guys are wondering how I'm there two hours before anybody else and training there every day, and then you've got the coaches hanging around and I don't like for anyone to think anything like - because I'm not doing it for anyone else but for like, myself."

That is a massive yikes if players are scared of looking bad in the room for working hard.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im curious if all these rumors about Risto trades is actually true. Id assume he would be an extremely hot commodity around the league if so.

Unless Botts is asking an insane return?? Who knows

Sure he struggles defensively alot but going to the right team and not playing as much would do wonders for him i feel.

I always picture him being dealt to FLA for some reason

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Don't see what culture has to do with what he said. Risto just needs to grow up, he's a 24 year old man, not an insecure 14 year old kid.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sounds to me like paranoia You know like when you think someone's following you and stuff

Reactions: viper0220

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Ha amazing people are blaming Risto for this. Pretty obvious there is a bully situation going on in Buffalo. Whether its management, vets, or other stars, we may never know for sure. But one player has the balls to speak up about it and half the posters are already ragging on him for it.

Risto admitted he is scared of something in the Sabreland and if he puts in too much effort he'll be shamed for it. Or that he is the only one actually putting in effort and it is awkward because no one else seems to care like he does. Sounds a great environment...

But look at that holy crap top 15 defensive depth they have now. Plan the parade down Chippewa!

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
In Buffalo ROR's attitude and comments toward losing was viewed as cancerous. Local fanbase deemed him a locker room problem.

In St. Louis, his work ethic and determination was praised by members of the organization and media alike. Local fanbase deemed him captain material.

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
"Recent seasons have been tough and I haven't been able to enjoy hockey."

Are Sabres players realizing what they need to do to fix their career? Rip on the organization, get traded, win.

"I cannot say anything other than the fact that on the 12th of September, I will be at one of the NHL team's training camps,"

Last edited:

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Word is when he's doing his early workouts he has this picture hanging on the wall for inspiration:

jBx6Fcp.jpg

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
Man, it's an interesting comment and I'd love to know more, but what he said could easily mean there is a bad culture, that he can work on his confidence, that there is just a bad match between him and Buffalo, or any combination of them. To make matters worse, it could also just be a translation thing... I really don't think it is fair to come to any conclusion on Risto or Buffalo based on this.

It is weird though :p

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad