RIP Tyler Skaggs

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Why are you saying this, and now?

Let's not jump to conclusions.

Because the most obvious answer tends to be just that. Tact or not.

Without going into too much detail here something similar happened to a couple of guys(who were friends with each other) I knew. Both had multiple kids while another was just promoted at his job. Which, believe or not, was at the local police department.

That didn't stop either from purchasing or, more likely, "borrowing" some drugs that just happened to be laced with fentanyl. Both OD and wrecked their families in the process.

That case, much like this one, only leaves me shaking my head.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Just to add on: the probable reason I view drugs as selfish is because of my close proximity to them. I can understand that addiction is a disease and still expect accountability from addicts, it can be both.

While Tyler very well could have been self-medicating for other issues or was simply hooked after an injury, he still made a multitude of choices understanding the risk. I don't care what quack doctor you see, all of them will tell you the dangers of mixing opioids and alcohol, that is common knowledge.

I feel terrible for his wife because she will now have to reconcile the confusing emotions that come with grieving for a loved one and the knowledge of how he died. That isn't easy, and it's normal to feel angry about it.
Have had 3 ex-classmates (ones that I know of) pass away since high school from mixing pills and alcohol. Never seen the appeal for either substance, but then again I'm not an addict.

I know some who will mix because they can't sleep at night. If this was the case here he should have just used his prop 64 right.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
People dont wake up one morning as a drug addict. Falling into an addiction like that is a consequence of a series of conscious lifestyle choices.

This is a really bad post...

He’s dealt with a ton of injuries in the past and most likely developed an addiction during treatment/recovery from his injuries...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This is a really bad post...

He’s dealt with a ton of injuries in the past and most likely developed an addiction during treatment/recovery from his injuries...

That's of course purely speculative, but even if we grant that...my comment was about generalities. There's millions of dopeheads out there, and they bear some responsibility for the path they embarked on.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's of course purely speculative, but even if we grant that...my comment was about generalities. There's millions of dopeheads out there, and they bear some responsibility for the path they embarked on.

Some, yeah. But the opoid crisis is literally an epidemic and lots of people who never led lifes of drugs and crime get pulled into their path.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People dont wake up one morning as a drug addict. Falling into an addiction like that is a consequence of a series of conscious lifestyle choices.

Getting addicted to opioids after being prescribed them by doctors following multiple serious injuries/surgeries wouldn’t be a ‘conscious lifestyle choice’.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Do they bear some blame? Sure. But a lot of people just inherently trust that a doctor has their best interests in mind and wouldn't prescribe them something that would destroy their entire life. The doctors giving out these drugs like candy deserve almost the entire blame in situations like this. Guy gets in a car crash, up to that point he lead a normal middle class life maybe even had kids. He messed up his back in the crash and gets prescribed opiods afterwards and gets hooked on them and then OD's. Said hypothetical father deserves to be looked down on for a system that entirely failed him and set him on a path to his death? Naw I am sorry I got absolutely zero time for victim blaming in accidental over doses on opiods. f*** the doctors that feed into this and hopefully more people learn to be knowledgeable about any substance you put in your body regardless of how much you should be able to trust the person giving it to you.

Reactions: LeBlondeDemon10

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
These doctors got huge kickbacks from med reps to distribute opioids, btw. These same doctors won't prescribe a person a pill without mountains of evidence now due to the govt getting involved.

The same people who got these people addicted with legal pills forced them to get it elsewhere when they couldn't get their old prescriptions filled. They create the problem, then point the finger squarely at the consumers. Sounds like the mlb wrt steroids.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A clubhouse attendant might have picked up for him. The dealer probably used a pill press to cut the Oxy with fentanyl. Fentanyl is a lot cheaper and more potent.

The dealer is probably shitting himself hearing the DEA and multiple Law Enforcement agencies are now looking into this.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Interesting that the Skaggs family kinda called out a potential Angels employee connection yet in the ESPN article its somewhat stated that no Angels employee is currently a subject of the investigation..

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
People should be getting fired. There is no way that nobody knew anything if he was abusing drugs for two years. No way.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This story is only getting worse.

Eric Kay, the Angels’ director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the source said.

“Kay also told investigators that Skaggs snorted three lines of crushed opioids in front of him, the sources said. Kay recognized that two of the lines could have been crushed oxycodone, but the third was not a substance he recognized, the sources said.”

“While recovering in the hospital from an overdose on April 22, Kay received a text from Skaggs seeking drugs”

Yikes.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
This is such an sad story but I can't sympathize for someone doing something stupid

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This is such an sad story but I can't sympathize for someone doing something stupid
He was addicted to opioied pain medication. I think I said it earlier in this thread a while back but I just will never understand the people that look down on the people that get hooked on this stuff and don't look at the actual evil.....the doctors and pharma companies that enable and encourage the use of these drugs and get obscenely wealthy off of it to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad