In Memoriam RIP Tony Esposito (1943-2021)

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Such sad news.

He was a truly great goalie and so much fun to watch. Unique style that was effective and entertaining.

RIP.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Very saddened by this. Tony O was iconic. Met him when I was a child sometime around 1971 after a Hawks practice. Still have his signature on a slip of paper.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Capture.JPG

upload_2021-8-10_21-9-12.png

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I got to meet him once, very nice guy. I asked him if there was any player that always gave him trouble as a shooter, he said that Gordie Howe did, and then pointed out that Gretzky never gave him much trouble and was fairly easy for him to read. I never thought to see what the numbers said on that until today, and it checks out...

Tony Esposito vs. Wayne Gretzky (goals only)
18 GP - 6 GA

Of the above 2 GP and 1 GA were in the playoffs

Of course I'm not looking at assists, and I did see Wayne's name quite a bit in that column...maybe he knew Esposito played him well and focused more on distributing.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I got to meet him once, very nice guy. I asked him if there was any player that always gave him trouble as a shooter, he said that Gordie Howe did, and then pointed out that Gretzky never gave him much trouble and was fairly easy for him to read. I never thought to see what the numbers said on that until today, and it checks out...

Tony Esposito vs. Wayne Gretzky (goals only)
18 GP - 6 GA

Of the above 2 GP and 1 GA were in the playoffs
)
Of course I'm not looking at assists, and I did see Wayne's name quite a bit in that column...maybe he knew Esposito played him well and focused more on distributing.

Esposito was holding Gretzky to a 27G/season pace. Considering the torrid pace that Gretzky was scoring at in those days (1980-84) that's not a bad result for a goalie in his post-prime years :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad