Red Sox/MLB RIP Tom Seaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Keith Law did a Q&A on The Athletic with Red Sox beat writer Jen McCaffrey regarding the minor league system. I won't quote, because pay wall, but I'll summarize.

+ He likes Jeter Downs as their #1 prospect ahead of Casas. Says if there was a normal minor league season, he's probably be in the majors right now.

+ Says Jay Groome looks "all the way back" from TJ surgery.

+ Likes Jarren Duran as an "above average regular" if the adjustments in his swing allows him to generate more power.

- He doesn't really rate any of their prospect acquisitions. Seabold is the best of the bunch.

- He didn't like their draft.

- Views Bryan Mata and Tanner Houck as relievers only.

- Doesn't like any of their catchers. Says Wong is more of a utility guy who can catch. Grullon has raw power and a huge throwing arm, but can't catch and has a poor approach at the plate.

Keith Law is very bullish on certain prospects, he has some hot takes but at the very least he tries to justify them

I agree with him on Houck and on Wong. I disagree with his assessment on Seabold. I don’t think his report on him reflects the improvements Seabold has made with his change up

I have Casas over Downs just because I think he’s got a chance to be a top 10 hitter in the bigs

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Keith Law is very bullish on certain prospects, he has some hot takes but at the very least he tries to justify them

I agree with him on Houck and on Wong. I disagree with his assessment on Seabold. I don’t think his report on him reflects the improvements Seabold has made with his change up

I have Casas over Downs just because I think he’s got a chance to be a top 10 hitter in the bigs

That’s quite the praise and intriguing to say the least. Would you say Casas has more bust potential than Downs or is Casas pretty much a hit who will play at some capacity?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That’s quite the praise and intriguing to say the least. Would you say Casas has more bust potential than Downs or is Casas pretty much a hit who will play at some capacity?

Casas has more bust potential just because he absolutely has to hit at a high level to have any sort of significant value being a first basemen. But he’s taking more experienced arms way out in Sim City right now. He’s ahead of where I thought he’d be. Ball sounds different coming off of his bat

I think he’s got the same kinda of potential with the stick that Devers has. Reasonably high average, lots of XBH.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Casas has more bust potential just because he absolutely has to hit at a high level to have any sort of significant value being a first basemen. But he’s taking more experienced arms way out in Sim City right now. He’s ahead of where I thought he’d be. Ball sounds different coming off of his bat

I think he’s got the same kinda of potential with the stick that Devers has. Reasonably high average, lots of XBH.

What would your home run range be? I’m really enjoying this season because I’m getting back into the Sox at a time where I figured I’d give up altogether. I’ve just been bleh about them more often than not. Not an ownership fan. But I just get the urge to watch. Relying on you guys for your prospect takes and players takes in general (Munoz, Grullon examples you’ve told me about). It’s great! Appreciate it all.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What would your home run range be? I’m really enjoying this season because I’m getting back into the Sox at a time where I figured I’d give up altogether. I’ve just been bleh about them more often than not. Not an ownership fan. But I just get the urge to watch. Relying on you guys for your prospect takes and players takes in general (Munoz, Grullon examples you’ve told me about). It’s great! Appreciate it all.

Sky is the limit for him. Could see him having 40 homer seasons. We shall see though, a lot of these 1B only types that kill the minors can’t complete the final step. I think he should be able to though- he’s age advanced and has all the tools you could hope for. Sounds like an intelligent kid too

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The LCSes and WS are going to be bubbled

ALCS in San Diego
NLCS + WS in Arlington, Texas

Flipping the leagues is going to be odd to watch, but given the realistic chance that the Padres are playing in the NLCS, it's unfair to give them potential home field advantage.

The new Texas stadium looks pretty nice, though something about its enclosed boxy-ness is unsettling.

Reactions: CDJ

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The LCSes and WS are going to be bubbled

ALCS in San Diego
NLCS + WS in Arlington, Texas

Flipping the leagues is going to be odd to watch, but given the realistic chance that the Padres are playing in the NLCS, it's unfair to give them potential home field advantage.

The new Texas stadium looks pretty nice, though something about its enclosed boxy-ness is unsettling.
LOL. My brother runs the grounds crew at the Arlington Ballpark. Since the Rangers suck this year, we were planning a golf trip in late October....

I guess that ain't happening. At least I'll get in to see the World Series live this year....

Reactions: sarge88

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The Mike Kickham show tonight. He’s undefeated you know

He just looks like a guy you want running out of the bullpen with that flow, and you know it’s party time. Then he throws 87 MPH. Whomp. Haha

Nasty slider when he gets it over. Control doesn’t seem like a strong suit.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
"We've got that hot new kid who's on a wild streak and is the one bright spot this season...do we run with the promo or wait for next ining?"
"I'm sure nothing will happen. Run with the dragonfruit - right now."

Oh, NESN.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pro tip, get the dragon fruit at stop and shop and ring it up as gala apples. Diabolical, I know.

It’s a refreshing fruit.

not as refreshing as a Bobby Bomb tho

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some good news is that if they keep winning they should still have a shot at Jack Leiter or Jaden Hill. Some good arms this year towards the top of the draft. Hill probably will get picked last of the 3 but he could honestly end up being the best of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->