RIP Tom Seaver, the greatest Met of all time

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tom Seaver, the greatest of all Mets who dropped out of public life in March of 2019 after being diagnosed with dementia died early Monday. Accoring to family sources, Seaver, 75, died peacefully at his home in Calistoga, Calif., from complications from Lyme disease, dementia and COVID-19.

He leaves behind 311 victories, 3,640 career strikeouts, three Cy Young Awards and countless millions New York baseball fans who forever cherish the memories of the Miracle Mets 1969 championship season and his starring role in it.

“We are heartbroken to share that our beloved husband and father has passed away,” said his wife Nancy Seaver and daughters Sarah and Anne in a statement to the Baseball Hall of Fame. “We send our love out to his fans, as we mourn his loss with you.”

Tom Seaver, the greatest Met of all time, dies at 75

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
486af3ad_sabr.jpg

A great man and a great starter. He's become underrated by the younger fans. Of all the SPs who've come into MLB since 1967 he's top 5 with Clemens, Randy Johnson, Maddux, and Pedro.

Hall of Famer
3 Cy Youngs
Rookie of the Year
12x All-Star
1969 World Series
3x ERA titles

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The passing of Tom Seaver reminds me of a night in 1986 when I still drove a cab occasionally. It was a quiet Wednesday night but the Red Sox game was delayed and ended around 2 AM. I picked up a couple of fares but I was looking for a sportswriter from Framingham (Art Davidson) who always took a cab after a game.

Instead, I was flagged by a Red Sox attendant and moments later I had Tom, his wife, and 2 young daughters and they were going to the old Fenway-Cambridge on Memorial Drive as he had just been traded from the White Sox to Boston for Steve Lyons.

He asked me if there was a late-night place to maybe get breakfast as his family had flown in from California and went straight to the park. I told him options were limited but I knew a place in North Cambridge which was good and they could grab a booth and he said fine.

I took him to Vic's on Mass Ave in North Cambridge. His family loved the place and the long time waitress Louisa took care of the kids.

When we were leaving a half-awake Gary LaPierre from WBZ was coming in and his jaw dropped.

What I will never forget is how polite Tom was to everyone.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Round One: Soul Man - BB - SP Roger Clemens
- Brooklyn Dodgers - LF Ted Williams

Round Two: - Brooklyn Dodgers - SP Randy Johnson
Soul Man - BB - SP Tom Seaver

I started a 1939+ mock draft with a friend right before Tom passed away. I drafted him right where I think he belongs, the 3rd best SP since 1939. I went pitching first so Bonds, Mays, and Aaron were undrafted when I took him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad